PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Evening all

Another 15.47 for me today. Need to make space in the freezer so some sugar and a bottle of gin to make sloe gin.

One bottle made and another to do tomorrow. Will most probably be more money spent on booze in the next couple of days as want to try sloe vodka and whiskey and blackberry whiskey.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 June 2019 at 7:58AM
    Spendy shop yesterday as I picked up laundry detergent (3 for £10 in Morries), laundry bleach (50p off) and dishwasher cleaner and tabs - added to my stores. [STRIKE]£91.71[/STRIKE] £85.71 (just remembered £6 for something else in the bill) so far this month but over 50% of my stores spend. Mind you, my stores are well-stocked up
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning all

I have a small spend to declare from yesterday: £3 spent on chorizo for dinner. The plan had been that we'd have "Scrummy with a touch of spinach" for dinner but, while DH had defrosted the chickpeas and spinach, I got home from 2 days away for work to discover that the "chorizo" he'd assured me we had, was actually salami which just doesn't work in this recipe. Quick phone call, with the result that he bought chorizo on the way home.

The above spend brings our total for the month to £22.07/£130, leaving £107.93 for the rest of the month. We still plan to do a big stock-up shop tonight, so I expect a large proportion of that to get spent today.
    ceb1995 wrote: »
    I'd like to join, we've been trying to get under £200 since the start of the year and have been unsuccessful.
    I've recently handed my notice in and i don't have a new job yet (i know not the most sensible choice but it is the best choice for my health to leave asap and we although we have savings to top up dh's wages for a couple of months to give me time, i've got more motivation than ever to cut the food bill).

So we're aiming for £190 this month for 2 adults and a cat. Got some reduced salmon and mince in the freezer at the moment and a few bits of various carbs and herbs, we are a 5 minute drive from a supermarket so we can make strategic trips to check out the reduced aisles, should be fine till the friday night with what we have in and i've made a meal plan with two meat free days for next week.

So far we're on £36.77/£190

Any advice on where we can cut our budget would be greatly appreciated :)

Welcome ceb1995. It's hard to know what advice to give you, without knowing what you already do and what your shopping style is like. With that in mind, I have a few questions for you:-
    1. What do you like to eat?
    2. Do you meal plan?
    3. When you do a shop, what do you normally buy? What could be "traded down" to an own-brand value item?
    4. What do you have in your pantry already? What about your freezer? (We may be able to save you a few pennies in the short term by giving you ideas for using this stuff up.)
    5. When is your last day on the job? Do you normally buy your lunch or take it from home? (So we can come up with lunch ideas.)

For the record, my household consists of two adults and our budget per month is £120 for general groceries (including toiletries) and £40 for meat/fish (excluding any bought at the supermarket). The latter usually accumulates for a couple of months, until we restock the freezer by shopping at the butcher's.

HTH.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'm on a fresh week and I confess to going £20 over the budget last week but I made it back from e!bay. This morning was a trip to the docs for me and bribery trip to morries with pickle when I spent £22 of this weeks £50 :( which means I have £28 until next thursday. I have found that myself being unwell has really but a screw in the works for our spends. I only want to eat cold stuff and soft stuff. I'm too tired and ill to cook proper meals. Last night pickle had a happy meal and hubby sausage sandwiches. Tonight pickle just wants a sandwich tea and i need to muster some energy for dinner for hubby and I. When we are back on an even keel i think i need to make sure we have some meals frozen for times like this.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • Went out for a managers lunch day yesterday and ended up spending £7.50 just on lunch!!! That's me definitely taking homemeade lunches in for the rest of the month, costly mistake for me.

£105.55/£175 for me.
    January Grocery Challenge £71.51/£150.00    48% spent!
    February Grocery Challenge £79.83/£112        71% spent!
    March Grocery Challenge £0.00/£93.00           0% spent!

Save 2022    £2305.21
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2019 at 7:25PM
    Had a splurge on treats at asda last night that we didn't need like pizza so we're now on £49/£190 for the month
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ouch! £85 spent at this morning's market & in the supermarket later, but that should be just about everything we need this week. That bought us fish, a bag of samphire, a dozen eggs, 2 chickens for the Sunday roast (& stock & 2 x leftover meals) cheese, bacon, milk, cream, tea, & a trolley-full of fruit & veg. Oh, and a coconut for DD2 to make coconut ice-cream! I'll be doing orange sorbet with some blood oranges I found at the bottom of the fruit bowl. There will be a small top-up mid-week; probably bananas, bread & yogurt, but I'm not anticipating needing anything else.

I've splashed out £25 on a local sourdough course, run by a chef friend whose bread is legendary. She brought round several loaves when I was ill, dear soul, and I just want to be able to turn out tasty loaves like those for us all to eat for rather less money than the local artisan bakery charges! We have a very good local mill so good flour can be acquired very reasonably, but I've killed a number of sourdough starters over the last few years in my cackhanded attempts. So hopefully after this I'll be able to do it properly - and relatively cheaply.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Happy Saturday, I've updated my signature, £33.99 spent since last week as I had family staying last weekend. It was fab to see them, and an excuse to cook a proper meal as living on my own most of the year means I usually just make do.

Welcome to all newcomers, you will get lots of useful advice on this forum.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    A spend of £32.94 so far but I'm doing a big shop today which will include a joint of beef and 2kg of chicken breasts and 24 loo rolls.

My budget will take a hammering but next weeks shop will be just fresh stuff in the main.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    Picked up our click and collect order from asda and they'd subbed the brocolli (which i cook with spinach and chicken and other veg to do lunches for the week) so had to buy some from the market so now we're on £84.99/£190. Some of what we have got should go over into the next week so hopeful to make it under the £190 this month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure