PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The KonMarie method

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just downloaded the ebook as the paperback is sold out. So a day of decluttering for me. Will read a chapter a day and have a sort out. Still have loads of stuff from when I had to clear an aunt's house and also my mum's house when she died. It's difficult to get rid of what they loved and collected but maybe someone at the charity shop could love them too.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    thanks for this thread, googled the KonMAri method - some great ideas on there.

I have been steadily Decluttering for some time now and I'm gradually getting there.

One thing I try to do is copy the Japanese style of only displaying a few special items at a time, rather than the more traditional Western idea of having groups or collections of items on display.

What I do is just have a couple of items out, then every so often I put them away for a while and have something else on display. So for example I might have just one vase on a window cill or shelf rather than half a dozen different items.

I usually theme my displays and ring the changes by following the seasons.

I definitely seem to be becoming more minimalist. It does simplify life and makes housework a lot easier.

I too hAve got to tackle my parents house :eek: I'm dreading it and keep putting it off.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    As for inherited things, thankfully I have inherited my mum's dislike of ornaments. She called them dust-collectors and I have to say that I agree. Definitely makes things easier to clean. My friend loves fancy plates and ornaments and every surface has something on it and all over the walls too. I just would look in amazement and gratefulness that I didn't have to clean it all! While trying not to let my toddler touch anything!
    I managed to sort out my tubs cupboard today too. Usually I keep anything that has both tub and lid. This time I held each thing and got rid of stuff that I never use and don't even like but had been holding onto because they were potentially useful. I now have lots of space to store what I actually want to keep.
    Thanks again OP!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I was reading this book in bed last night and got up and organised my socks ( how mad is that). I have read as far as the handbag sorting and thought if she said to only have 1 handbag this wasn't for me as I love my handbags and they always fit whatever size I am. But she seems to also have loads of handbags when she gives such good ideas to store them inside each other and leave out the straps so you can find one in a hurry. The idea of holding each item and seeing if it brings you joy is great and surprised myself when so many of my mum's and aunt's ornaments brought back so many memories. So they are washed and put on display in a wallunit which was originally a unit for CDs that 1 of my sons threw out. So I can see the hummel figures every day and enjoy them.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    grunnie wrote: »
    I was reading this book in bed last night and got up and organised my socks ( how mad is that).
    That is not mad at all, it is testament to how motivating the book is even if like me you sit there in hysterics at some of its preposterous notions. And weirdly I feel motivated to cut out the other useless baggage in my life now too. Waking up every day is a joy :)
    grunnie wrote: »
    The idea of holding each item and seeing if it brings you joy is great and surprised myself when so many of my mum's and aunt's ornaments brought back so many memories. So they are washed and put on display in a wallunit which was originally a unit for CDs that 1 of my sons threw out. So I can see the hummel figures every day and enjoy them.
    Thats the other effect it's had in me. I didn't have to think twice about using a new blouse I was saving (for what, I don't know) yesterday evening and I have worn it again today. I have a huge wardrobe waiting to be worn, enjoyed and then passed on!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2015 at 10:03PM
    This is by far the best decluttering organizing book I have read and boy Ive read loads. Some motivated me for a while but then it was back to procrastination. I even bought a hypnotherapy download... listened to it once. The one I used the most was a book called shed your stuff. That was ok but didnt keep it up or clear your clutter with feng shui
    Ive only got as far as my kitchen at the mo. I came down with this cold thats going around so still feel yukky
    Still it means I can finish the book this weekend when hopefully
    this cold will have done one! Glad to declutter that alright
    maybe my body is detoxing along with my home. Its a thought eh?
    Tiny kitchen still gleaming and streamlined love being in there now.
    my mother didnt like lots of ornaments either. Her clutter was hidden in cubhoards ect. She had a few pieces she liked there was one figurine of a lady, not really my type of thing.
    so I took a picture of it and keep that instead.
    its really hard to let go of their stuff, but we have to remember. Things arent memories they are just things.
    perhaps a memory quilt or pillow made with their clothes. I have seen a teddy bear made of a wooly cardigan.
    thank you op for starting this thread
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • I am quite interested in this book since I followed a link somewhere and saw her folding technique. I folded all my undies, socks and pajamas, then did all my parent's drawers as well (tops and trackies, I drew the line at their undies and socks). I can't wait to read it...
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    skeeter93 wrote: »
    I am quite interested in this book since I followed a link somewhere and saw her folding technique. I folded all my undies, socks and pajamas, then did all my parent's drawers as well (tops and trackies, I drew the line at their undies and socks). I can't wait to read it...
    I proudly demonstrated the folding technique to a retail assistant that couldn't get my shopping into a bag today ;). Job done.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I proudly demonstrated the folding technique to a retail assistant that couldn't get my shopping into a bag today ;). Job done.

Love it:T:T:T

Er what are you doing buying?
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had never heard of this, so I went on YouTube. I found the T-shirt folding interesting. However I hang my clothes up in a wardrobe and only have a three drawer bedside cabinet for undies and nightwear.

However the video led me to other videos on how to streamline and organise cupboards, pantry, freezer etc, which spurred me on to try and sort out my pantry. Yesterday I bought some storage, and it looks better already (I keep going in to have a look and admire it :o I need to get some more to finish it off. Tomorrow I'm going to have a look in my freezer to see if I can sort that out - maybe take out some shelves and have stacking storage instead of the drawers.

Thank you for inspiring me :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport