I got rejected by Barclaycard

Options
I have had cards by them before, with balances of £3500, they asked me to send proof of identity, passport driving licence which worried me, then finally I got an email saying they offered me a card for £800 which is of little use. I've been at the same address since 2015 and have had a barclaycard at this address before. I have a mortgage, gas bill, sky bill, just closed my virgin tv. Just seems wierd they lost my details

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You either have negative data in your credit file(s) or something in your application indicated to BC that you are a higher risk. Was the application for a Balance Transfer card?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They dont have to give you another card with the same limit, they reassess you again.

Something must be up as £800 limit is quite low.

Cheap all your credit files, you may find that you have an outstanding default or missed payment that you didn't know about.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just seems wierd they lost my details
    It's not them losing your details, they'll just be tightening their ID verification processes over the years, as all institutions have been doing in the face of increased regulation.

They will have tried to verify you online, typically via third parties such as credit rating agencies, but if this doesn't work for some reason then they'll fall back to a more manual process of reviewing documentation - it's as much a pain for them as it is for you as it costs far more than the simple electronic check....

Your title states that you were rejected but the body of your post says you were accepted, even though the limit was lower than you'd hoped for?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So you weren't rejected - you were just offered a lower limit.

Of course they should ask you to send proof of ID through - it's part of fraud prevention.

What card did you apply for? Platinum?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    If you have held a Barclaycard before at the address where you have lived since 2015. why did you close the account?
    As others have said you were not rejected so why are you confusing things by saying that you were?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Did you do a 'soft check' first? I have a poor credit history but have just been granted a balance transfer card, 0% with no transfer fee for £3500 by Tesco Bank. I did soft checks with MSE, Clearscore and Noddle (now changed to Karma) beforehand. Tesco Bank was 90% acceptance, all three said. I checked again with MSE and then went straight through to Tesco Bank via that site, hoping that would earn me some brownie points. I was granted what I wanted. I only wanted £2500 limit but they gave me £1k extra, which obviously I won't be using as it's a balance transfer card, and I will only be using it for that. They gave me 16 months instead of 20 but that's still very helpful for me. I can pay off the balance of my old credit card and not pay any interest. They DID NOT ask me for proof of ID!! So that's just nonsense. Whether to check for fraud or not. I completed the form online and they sent me an almost immediate acceptance response. As I said, my past credit history is not very good (I had a DRO (only just removed from my credit reports) and am slowly recovering). I discovered that when you are in a shaky position, as I was, it's best to do every single 'soft' check that you can. I really do hope you get accepted somewhere, Barclaycard's not the only one you know. But do check first, so it doesn't show on your credit report. Good Luck!
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure