Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gionnetto
    • By gionnetto 25th May 19, 10:55 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 26Thanks
    gionnetto
    Food budgeting tips for coeliacs?
    • 25th May 19, 10:55 PM
    Food budgeting tips for coeliacs? 25th May 19 at 10:55 PM
    Hello,
    I am coeliac, so I struggle with food budgeting because there aren't many budget friendly food I can eat given my condition. I also have a very physical job (on a work day I consume 800-1000+ calories above the normal intake for a regular person).

Is there anybody that can offer me any tips and tricks?

Thank you!

Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 25th May 19, 11:08 PM
    • 29,835 Posts
    • 18,257 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 25th May 19, 11:08 PM
    • 25th May 19, 11:08 PM
    Have you seen

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/food-shopping/gluten-free-diet-on-a-budget/
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 26th May 19, 9:09 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 39,522 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 26th May 19, 9:09 PM
    • 26th May 19, 9:09 PM
    I'm thinking you may get more responses on the health & beauty board- often people ask about dietary requirements.
    Also the old style thread would be somewhere to ask.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6470cc+3045mm (3.04.5) + RK 8.03
    • B_G_B
    • By B_G_B 26th May 19, 9:47 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    B_G_B
    • 26th May 19, 9:47 PM
    • 26th May 19, 9:47 PM
    Can you get some of the basics on prescription?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 26th May 19, 10:09 PM
    • 12,027 Posts
    • 32,198 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 26th May 19, 10:09 PM
    • 26th May 19, 10:09 PM
    Originally posted by B_G_B
    Surely its better to learn how to eat without the wheat based products?
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 26th May 19, 10:30 PM
    • 24,812 Posts
    • 28,857 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 26th May 19, 10:30 PM
    • 26th May 19, 10:30 PM
    Hello,
    I am coeliac, so I struggle with food budgeting because there aren't many budget friendly food I can eat given my condition. I also have a very physical job (on a work day I consume 800-1000+ calories above the normal intake for a regular person).

Is there anybody that can offer me any tips and tricks?

Thank you!

Originally posted by gionnetto
    Are you meaning that basics/ ingredients (beans/ lentils/ rice/ buckwheat) that are guaranteed to be gluten-free are expensive?

Or that prepared foods or ready meals or substitutes (bread/ pasta/ breakfast cereal/ biscuits) that are guaranteed to be gluten-free are expensive?

Or indeed both?

Do you currently maintain a detailed food diary? That can be really helpful in tracking the balance of the diet, as well as where the money goes.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • B_G_B
    • By B_G_B 26th May 19, 10:50 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    B_G_B
    • 26th May 19, 10:50 PM
    • 26th May 19, 10:50 PM
    Surely its better to learn how to eat without the wheat based products?
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Not sure what you mean. I am suggesting that gluten free products may be available to the OP on prescription. This can help with the extra cost burden.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 27th May 19, 12:49 AM
    • 24,812 Posts
    • 28,857 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 27th May 19, 12:49 AM
    • 27th May 19, 12:49 AM
    Not sure what you mean. I am suggesting that gluten free products may be available to the OP on prescription. This can help with the extra cost burden.
    Have a read through the Coeliac UK guide linked to by xylophone: this style of varied, nutrient-dense wholefood diet is what we should all be eating for health.

But processed wheat has such a tight grip on the average UK diet that many of the gluten-free products available on the NHS were highly processed, highly refined starches (potato/ corn/ white rice) formed into the shape of bread, pasta or cereal.

The Free From sections in the supermarkets are even worse. Most of it is arguably not 'food', not 'basics' and not 'staples' it is junk. Ditto most of what is in the mainstream bakery and baking aisles.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 27th May 19, 10:34 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 27th May 19, 10:34 PM
    • 27th May 19, 10:34 PM
    Hello,
    I am coeliac
    Originally posted by gionnetto

You're a fish described by zoologists and marine biologists as a "living fossil"?

Pleased to make your acquaintance.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 28th May 19, 6:21 PM
    • 12,027 Posts
    • 32,198 Thanks
    suki1964
    Surely not if you pay for prescriptions??
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 28th May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 12,027 Posts
    • 32,198 Thanks
    suki1964
    Have a read through the Coeliac UK guide linked to by xylophone: this style of varied, nutrient-dense wholefood diet is what we should all be eating for health.

But processed wheat has such a tight grip on the average UK diet that many of the gluten-free products available on the NHS were highly processed, highly refined starches (potato/ corn/ white rice) formed into the shape of bread, pasta or cereal.

The Free From sections in the supermarkets are even worse. Most of it is arguably not 'food', not 'basics' and not 'staples' it is junk. Ditto most of what is in the mainstream bakery and baking aisles.
    Originally posted by Fire Fox

Exactly what I was trying to get at

Learn how to eat a nutrionially balanced diet without having to rely on processed foods

Don't get me wrong, id hate a life without pasta, but if it was either give it up or suffer, Id give it up
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 28th May 19, 7:58 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

You cut out carbs, no more gluten. Convert your body to run mainly on ketones instead of carbs and glucose.
    Goals
    Save 12k in 2017 #016 (4212.06 / 10k) (42.12%)
    Save 12k in 2016 #041 (4558.28 / 6k) (75.97%)
    Save 12k in 2014 #192 (4115.62 / 5k) (82.3%)
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 28th May 19, 11:41 PM
    • 24,812 Posts
    • 28,857 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

You cut out carbs, no more gluten. Convert your body to run mainly on ketones instead of carbs and glucose.
    Originally posted by TrustyOven
    Why on earth would you suggest that?

The OP has not mentioned any health problems that warrant such a restrictive diet. No grains, no pseudo-grains, no beans, no lentils, no root vegetables, no tropical fruits, no tree fruits, no milk, no fruit juice, no alcohol? Again why?

IME from years studying and working in lifestyle healthcare, DIY very low carb or ketogenic diets invariably end up poorly balanced and poorly varied. Neither budget conscious as the OP requested, nor healthy!

For example substantially increasing intake of nuts and seeds for minerals, bulking fibre and calories substantially increases intake of omega-6 fatty acids. To balance that out you would need to substantially increase omega-3 rich oily fish .... daily.

Perhaps you meant cut out starch rich foods rather than cut out carbohydrates? If so those concepts are a long way from being interchangeable. Consider reading much higher quality, unbiased dietetics sources rather than commercial ones. Ideally the original published research.
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 29-05-2019 at 12:00 AM.
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 29th May 19, 6:21 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    Such a diet might reduce the number of choices of food available to choose from, leading to less paralysis by too much choice.

That type of diet explicitly cuts out grains and gluten (hence the Celiac connection to OPs post), which helps OP have fewer problems.

And as the body is shifted towards burning fat, the normal source of energy then becomes fats - which are easier to buy in energy/volume, meaining the "I also have a very physical job (on a work day I consume 800-1000+ calories above the normal intake for a regular person)." part of OPs post might be easier to achieve.

But of course OP is free to add sugars too, and mix and match as they see fit.

It was only a suggestion. Not sure why you feel so hostile.
    Goals
    Save 12k in 2017 #016 (4212.06 / 10k) (42.12%)
    Save 12k in 2016 #041 (4558.28 / 6k) (75.97%)
    Save 12k in 2014 #192 (4115.62 / 5k) (82.3%)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,776Users online

Martin's Twitter