PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants more money

Options

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Personally I’d ask for £2k + deposit returned and surrender at your choice.

I suspect they’ll accept. Easier to move before baby here

And a glowing reference.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Reply:

No thank you.

- nothing else.

This is the best advice, but I'd be sorely tempted to explain in some detail how their and the landlord's behaviour had influenced that decision.
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I've looked at other housing in the area and there is nothing with what we need. This is a 5/6bed.
    For similar money I can't find anything.
    Plus I'm 9weeks off having baby, 101 things to do before then as you can imagine. The whole way they have gone about it really pi**es me off to be honest.
    Just felt it all stemmed from us not paying 3x rent upfront for the rest of our time here.
    Thanks all I will let them know that I am not willing to accept the offer.
  • buggy_boy
    Options

Your getting a bit desperate Crashy old boy... Is your crash still not coming...
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    That's completely irrelevant to the OP, CT.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That's completely irrelevant to the OP, CT.

So, its like 90% of his posts then? :D
  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My two-penny worth!

“I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 10th October.

As we have explained to you during these aforementioned telephone conversations, we hold an assured shorthold tenancy that is not due to expire until August 31 2019.

Due to personal reasons (I am currently pregnant and due in December) and the amount of disruption this would cause with a newborn baby we; *delete as applicable

- cannot entertain any suggestion of moving before the end of our assured shorthold tenancy, but we are happy to serve notice and move out on 31st August 2019, if we have received a positive reference allowing us to move to a new property
    - Are prepared to move out at the end of XX 2019, surrendering our tenancy early, and causing huge disruption to our new family, if the landlord agrees to pay a ex-gratia payment of £1200 on the day of moving out

Both these offers are valid until the 31st October 2018, and not subject to further negotiation.

We are sure as professional agents we don’t need to remind you of our entitlement to a right of quiet enjoyment, but as I am pregnant and need no further stress or hassle, I request that after 31st October you contact us only in writing.

Yours XX “
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jm90 wrote: »
    Sorry.
    The original 6 month contract was signed by both us and the estate agents.
    They then sent via post, 2 copies of a 12 month tenancy already both signed by them, asking me to sign both and return one to them.
    I did this, they then said the landlord had changed his mind and only wants it to be 6months at a time.
    They would change the contract their end to 6months.
    I never received a new one, so have a tenancy signed by both parties for 12 months.

Only says we have to pay £x amount per month not three months at a time

So immediately stop paying in advance, you shouldn`t have given the landlord the impression that you were prepared to give them a credit line in the first place.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jm90 wrote: »
    I've looked at other housing in the area and there is nothing with what we need. This is a 5/6bed.
    For similar money I can't find anything.
    Plus I'm 9weeks off having baby, 101 things to do before then as you can imagine. The whole way they have gone about it really pi**es me off to be honest.
    Just felt it all stemmed from us not paying 3x rent upfront for the rest of our time here.
    Thanks all I will let them know that I am not willing to accept the offer.

I would WRITE to them (email fine, but send via post too) thanking them for their letter, but pointing out that the tenancy ends August 2019 as per the tenancy agreement signed by them/the landlord. Attach a scan of it.

Say that if they can find a suitable similar property in the area for the same price, then you will be willing to move out by XX November, but only when your deposit is returned in full, and an additional £3000 transferred via bank transfer to your account for the inconvenience.

State that they have 7 days to accept this offer otherwise given you are heavily pregnant, you will be remaining in the property until the end of the tenancy in August 2019.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure