PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants more money

Comments

• Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    To be honest I didn't think that, that could happen but you are right I will do it asap. That would be horrendous,
    No, not a route I want to go down at all.

Thank you
  • Jm90
    The letter I've received today.

"Further to our telephone conversations regarding the property we write to confirm our discussions that, for personal reasons, the landlord is seeking to take back possession of the property so that his family can live there.

We appreciate that your current assured shorthold tenancy is not due to expire until February 28th 2019, however the landlord has informed us that it will not be renewed after this date.
    We understand that this will cause disruption to you and your family and the landlord sincerely apologises for this and would like to minimise the affect of this as much as possible.
    Consequently, the landlord has instructed us to propose the following amendments to the AST

1, The AST shall be amended so that it expires 30th November 2018, from now until that date you are free to vacate the property at any time and the rent only charged on a pro-rated basis, upto and including the day you vacate.

2, On the day you vacate and return the keys to us, the landlord will make a one time ex-gratia payment to you of £800

3, All other T&C'S of the AST remain unchanged ( the security deposit will be returned in the usual way.

This offer is only valid for 6 days and expires if you do not accept in this time period. "

Can I ignore/ should I?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Reply:

No thank you.

- nothing else.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Jm90 wrote: »
    Can I ignore/ should I?
    Well only you can decide!

Do you want
    a) flexibility to leave at any time without notice (up to Nov 30th) and
    b) £800 cash

Or do you want to stay undisturbed till Feb 28th?

Bear in mind that on Nov 30th you can still stay until the LL takes you to court , but in that case you'd forfeit the £800.

Option 3 (bearing in mind they seem to have accepted your legal argument, AND be desperate) would be to negotiate another, better deal!
  • Jm90
    Will do ��

Should I do anything regarding the fact they won't acknowledge our 12months AST or just wait for Feb to come around?
  • Comms69
    There’s a principle in law if you don’t challenge it; it can then be accepted as fact.

BUT you have challenged it previously.
  • Jm90
    We want to be left undisturbed until August but I have a feeling they are going to be constantly on our case until we leave. Which I'm dreading.
  • Comms69
    We want to be left undisturbed until August but I have a feeling they are going to be constantly on our case until we leave. Which I'm dreading.

How much would you move for; out of curiosity?
  • Jm90
    I really don't know purely because of my circumstances I haven't even thought about it.

I don't think he would offer more though

Possibly after Christmas is over and baby here safe just to be from the stress of it all.

However no idea on ££ and what is fair.
  • Comms69
    I really don't know purely because of my circumstances I haven't even thought about it.

I don't think he would offer more though

Possibly after Christmas is over and baby here safe just to be from the stress of it all.

However no idea on ££ and what is fair.

Personally I’d ask for £2k + deposit returned and surrender at your choice.

I suspect they’ll accept. Easier to move before baby here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport