PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I am not speaking about people who may have mobility or other issues regarding access to provisions. Nor am I referring to BAD weather forecasts either.

I'm referring to the fear that is being engendered regarding the B word.

That is totally unnecessary, and if it proves to be necessary the country is totally wrecked really. We have surely moved on from wartime and rations.

I have a few things in the freezer and the store cupboard and always will, but not because I am fearful of anything. I do not want to be fearful. But that is what I am getting from this thread.

But it seems prepping is something that people like doing. Fair enough, but it should never be necessary without a warning that we need to do this. That would be air raids or something like that.

I'm ok with having a few tins, UHT milk in store and bottled water. We will survive a few days on that. Not long term. And I don't think as a proud First World country we should have to prep for anything else really.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Melanzana - I don't think for one minute that we are in imminent danger of a" wartime/nuclear disaster situation" (although who knows with some of the "leaders" that seem to hold the power? I don't think they will give us notice if they did decide to strike), but like others on here I have suffered hardships which often come out of the blue. I live alone and my immediate family live some way away, so when I was ill last year it was comforting (for me and them) to know that I did not have to go out, but could have some basic nourishment (and medication) until they could arrive. When there was a major banking problem a few months ago and people were unable to use their cards, or withdraw cash, I was happy that, not only did I have an alternative bank account to use, I also had some ready cash safely hidden plus some basic stocks so I actually didn't have to use it (have we forgotten the financial crash of 2008, or what happened to Greece more recently?). This what "prepping" is about for me. It isn't about digging bunkers and gathering weapons - and compared to some my "preps" are extremely minimal - but what I would call common sense thinking based on my own, and others' experiences.
    I am glad that you have not had to think about stuff like this in your life, and hopefully you and your family (and the rest of us) will sail through Brexit without noticing. To be honest, I don't particularly think it will be that bad but that is only my opinion. But rather than be upset about it I make a few sensible (again, my opinion) decisions to do what I can to mitigate any possible discomfort, and then get on with my life.
  • There's been the warning from the government to start to stock up on food hasn't there? just because life has been wine and roses and pink sunsets for all of an existence doesn't mean it can't and won't change whether you want it to or not. The wartime references are ONLY because people had to be extremely innovative with their thinking to make a better life for themselves on limited availability while it was happening and some of the things they found as solutions work, if they worked then they'll work now IF and only if we need them. No we're not at war, no we haven't got air raid sirens ringing out why would they? it's not a TV programme and it's not an historical re-enactment happening it's real life and whether it's fair or not, whether it should be happening in a first world country or not it IS happening and we all have to deal with it. Don't accuse us of liking to 'play' at prepping because it amuses us, we each of us prep for different reasons, we've all had very different lives and we all see a pertinent reason to take responsibility for our own lives, it harms no one, it's not for 'fun' and if you'd ever got up into an ice cold room in the middle of winter and had to put back on wet shoes when you've got chilblains and walk 5 miles to work and back you'd realise that's not fun either but if I'd had the foresight to have been able to have a second pair of shoes that were dry it would have a darned sight comfier.
  • melanzana
    Forumite
    I am sorry everyone that I may have just upset the echo chamber of the thread.

I think the views of some here reveal that the B word prep should be totally and utterly necessary now. Sad that. That's what I meant.

Never mind. I just don't like the B word to be the catalyst for fear and stocking up. Why is it necessary? Haven't heard anything about that!
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    melanzana wrote: »

I'm referring to the fear that is being engendered regarding the B word.

I have a few things in the freezer and the store cupboard and always will, but not because I am fearful of anything. I do not want to be fearful. But that is what I am getting from this thread.

But it seems prepping is something that people like doing. Fair enough, but it should never be necessary without a warning that we need to do this. That would be air raids or something like that.

I'm ok with having a few tins, UHT milk in store and bottled water. We will survive a few days on that. Not long term. And I don't think as a proud First World country we should have to prep for anything else really.

So you have "prepped" in your own way, which is all most people on these forums do. Some lay in quite large stores and have "bug-out bags" etc., others (like me) like to hope that a few extra bits and pieces will see us thorough most eventualities. Some, of course, do absolutely nothing. But I don't ever see anyone on here (even the more prepared preppers IYSWIM) spreading fear - quite the opposite. Although one or two posters have been a little "contentious" in their views, most are just willing to talk about their own preps in the event it may help someone else.
    One thought that occurs to me though is that it is because we are a first world country that we are able to "prep". I'm sure those in more poverty-stricken, undeveloped countries would like the chance to (plus those in this country whose circumstances aren't so good, and I have a close member of my family in that situation who I try to help when I can).
    If all this continues to upset you, and/or you disagree - don't read this thread.
  • a) No trade deal means presumably no trade?
    b) this abysmally hot summer has happened all over the world and crops are smaller or failed because of the heat and the lack of water.
    c) diminished water reservoirs will mean less water available to use.
    d) If crops fail then there won't be much in the shops and what there will be will be expensive.
    e) The supermarkets in this country work on a 'just in time' stock system but that can only work if they can get the supplies to stock the shelves with in the first place, there is no food reserve in this country any more.

That's without even mentioning the B word.
  • melanzana
    Forumite
    dreaming wrote: »
    One thought that occurs to me though is that it is because we are a first world country that we are able to "prep". I'm sure those in more poverty-stricken, undeveloped countries would like the chance to (plus those in this country whose circumstances aren't so good, and I have a close member of my family in that situation who I try to help when I can).
    If all this continues to upset you, and/or you disagree - don't read this thread.

It doesn't upset me at all. Yes I have a couple of days stuff in reserve just because I can, and most people do. But most people do not prep for Armageddon either without a warning from our so called competent Government that the end is nigh.

And with the utmost respect, I can read and reply if I wish. Unless I am reported for something that posters on this thread might disagree with. Which is possibly likely now. But hopefully not.

Debate is good.
  • melanzana
    Forumite
    a) No trade deal means presumably no trade?
    b) this abysmally hot summer has happened all over the world and crops are smaller or failed because of the heat and the lack of water.
    c) diminished water reservoirs will mean less water available to use.
    d) If crops fail then there won't be much in the shops and what there will be will be expensive.
    e) The supermarkets in this country work on a 'just in time' stock system but that can only work if they can get the supplies to stock the shelves with in the first place, there is no food reserve in this country any more.

That's without even mentioning the B word.

Don't see any other EU country advocating stocking up because of this really. That's because their lines of supply will be guaranteed under the Single Market.

Ours won't come B Day though will they?
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Debate is about putting your side across for others to ponder. Debate isn't about pulling the opposing side to pieces.

Debate isn't 'having a go' at a group of people who live their lives in a way that you don't.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,353
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 8:26PM
    melanzana wrote: »
    ... But it seems prepping is something that people like doing. Fair enough, but it should never be necessary without a warning that we need to do this. That would be air raids or something like that.

Hi

The issue is that it's effectively a form of contingency planning for an issue that may never happen, and most-likely won't be that noticeable to most if it does anyway! ...

Regarding "... it should never be necessary without a warning that we need to do this" ... to most who have a plan for such things, that's effectively what they're more afraid of ... the minute that some numpty official somewhere warns of a possible shortage of anything in particular, you can be sure that panic buying will strip the shelves of it in no time whether necessary or not - it's almost a cardinal rule! ... the last thing anyone should be looking to do is to always sit back & wait for someone else tell them what to do, the problem is that these days too many people prefer to not think things through and make their own decisions, intentionally leaving the option open to blame others ...

Over 23 centuries ago Aristotle famously noted ... "Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom" ... if you know yourself then you can reason for yourself and not continually rely on others to reason & think on your behalf & tell you what to do, which is quite apt really considering the subject at hand! ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure