Oreo on S8+

Options
Mr_Singleton
Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
Bought an unlocked S8+ a while back but for some reason it’s still on Android 7. I’ve tried to manually update it but it says it is up to date..... how can I force it to update to 8?
Thanx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can!!!8217;t. Yo just have to be patient and wait!
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    As I thought..... S8+ will be my last Samsung phone. Screw them!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    You sure it's Samsung?

Some phones which are locked to certain carriers are more dependant on the carrier giving you the current update, not Samsung.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Samsung S7 updated to Oreo a couple of weeks ago. It was unlocked and not linked to any provider in any way. Your phone, although unlocked, may be dependent on a certain provider to trigger the update.

Just to add that, although it has added a few extra features, I have found that my S7 now has a noticeable lag when opening apps. Once open it seems to be OK.

I wouldn't be too eager to update unless you really want to.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It might well be the carrier but from someone who uses the iPhone why can’t Samsung be like Apple and take control of how updates get to customers.

Is it old legeacy agreements from the days before android and iOS that Samsung is beholding to when carriers decide when updates get to the customer?
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The roll out to unlocked devices is compkete, according to Samsung, so there's a couple of possibilities.

Either your device is a carrier version and that carrier hasn't decided to release Oreo.

Or there's something wrong with the phone that's stopping it.

Can you go into Settings and About Phone , then under Software tell me what the Service Provider Software version is? In particular you'll see a code something like BTU that might be repeated?
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    PHK wrote: »
    The roll out to unlocked devices is compkete, according to Samsung, so there's a couple of possibilities.

Either your device is a carrier version and that carrier hasn't decided to release Oreo.

Or there's something wrong with the phone that's stopping it.

Can you go into Settings and About Phone , then under Software tell me what the Service Provider Software version is? In particular you'll see a code something like BTU that might be repeated?

Was going to suggest the same, thank you.

Some carriers seem to be slower than others in offering the latest versions of Android.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As I thought..... S8+ will be my last Samsung phone. Screw them!

Way to get angry at (possibly) the wrong person. It could be your network. EE took ages to (alter, test and) let Nougat through onto my (network provided) S7. If you buy a phone SIM free, I believe you can bypass the networks.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Way to get angry at (possibly) the wrong person. It could be your network. EE took ages to (alter, test and) let Nougat through onto my (network provided) S7. If you buy a phone SIM free, I believe you can bypass the networks.

But why can't Samsung work with the networks and make sure that if customers want the latest OS they can get it?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    john22 wrote: »
    But why can't Samsung work with the networks and make sure that if customers want the latest OS they can get it?

buy sim free and you dont have to wait on the networks.
    Samsung has Oreo as they are happy with it. Its the networks adding their tweaks and testing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure