Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Well done with your wages choices - must feel so satisfying. And so lovely to be saving for Xmas in really good time. It gallops up before you know it, and its only human to want to celebrate, treat the family to nice things to eat, make the house look pretty and so on. It doesn't have to cost a fortune, but it does cost SOMETHING. This way you've made a conscious choice to enjoy a modest amount of spending without feeling guilty. In fact you're doing just that quite a lot. It's a far cry from the start of your diary when it would have been impossible to envisage any sort of saving or spending plan.

Choices are a wonderful thing. With barely enough to meet the weekly food bill, choices simply don't exist.

Thank you Elizabeth :).You're right it's having the choice that's important. It's very empowering to have choices :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • teafor2 wrote: »
    Hope you're not feeling too poorly today HHD and managed to meet up with your friends. Weather here has been rotten most of the day so we've stayed indoors. Not sure what the forecast is but I hope it improves, especially with it being half term. xx

Thank you TF2 :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • I felt quite rough with my cold today so that reading gave me a headache and I didn't even feel like drinking diet coke :eek:.

But I decided some fresh air would do me good, so we went a bit early to the NT place where we were meeting our friends and had a short stroll around the gardens, although we both felt quite tired so ended up relaxing in deck chairs in the gardens like a couple of geriatrics :rotfl:. Then our friends arrived and we had coffee and scones in the cafe and chatted for an hour. It was good catching up with them as we hadn't seen them for a couple of years, so we decided that we must get together more frequently :). I don't think it made my cold any worse and I warned our friends to keep their distance from me. Our naughty friends insisted on paying for our refreshments, so our only spends were £5.70 as DH wanted to buy biscuits and cake in the shop and we picked up another eight pints of milk too as we always run out before the end of the week.

I haven't done any de-cluttering or houswork today because I felt too tired and headachey :( so I'm hoping I'll feel up to doing some tomorrow.

I hope everyone has had a good Sunday :).
  • One of DS1's friends has had a big row with his parents and has nowhere to sleep tonight :eek: so we've agreed he can spend two nights here before he goes back to uni. I've said that the friend must tell his parents that he's safe so they don't worry.

So much for a quiet evening :(.
  • That’s kind of you to put the friend up Hairy. Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • We have always unofficially operated what is now a not so youth hostel for friends of the offspring. Especially working with the homeless, I’m mindful of how easy it is for a family disagreement to result in someone falling through the cracks. Well done for opening your home like this.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • That’s kind of you to put the friend up Hairy. Xx
    We have always unofficially operated what is now a not so youth hostel for friends of the offspring. Especially working with the homeless, I’m mindful of how easy it is for a family disagreement to result in someone falling through the cracks. Well done for opening your home like this.

Thank you both :). We couldn't leave him with nowhere to sleep and we always welcome a chance to get to know the DC's friends. He's actually very pleasant, but his family can't accept him for what he is.
  • Once years ago DS3 was at a sleepover party at a friend's house. He rang us after midnight to say that the friend's mother had kicked them all out because they were being too noisy and disturbing the neighbours :eek:. It was after midnight and pouring with rain. So we said they could all come and sleep in our living room (about six of them) as long as they didn't keep our neighbours awake. I couldn't believe the friend's mother would kick them all out onto the street like that :eek: (apart from her own child).

It was quite funny though because in the morning when we got up all the friends had vanished and it was just DS3 asleep on the sofa. He didn't know where his friends had gone but reckoned they might have gone out for KFC :rotfl:.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,239 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    edited 27 May 2019 at 6:30PM
    Poor lad.
    My DS has always said he loved that I just wanted him to to be happy.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,696 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Hairy,

How lovely of you to help out. It is a shame that his parents can't accept him for who he is. That must be quite difficult for him to accept.

Hope you are well. xx
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills