Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi HHoD,
    I do exactly the same! I did so much impulse buying back in my Spendy Decades..... See it, wannit, buy it..... but now I often find myself thinking that I can only spend this money once, so would I rather go home with my money still in my purse, & very often that is the choice I make these days.... in fact, more often than not.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hope you feel better HHD and the cold doesn't take hold especially with it being half term. Enjoy the meet up with your friends tomorrow. xx
  • foxgloves wrote: »
    Hi HHoD,
    I do exactly the same! I did so much impulse buying back in my Spendy Decades..... See it, wannit, buy it..... but now I often find myself thinking that I can only spend this money once, so would I rather go home with my money still in my purse, & very often that is the choice I make these days.... in fact, more often than not.
    F x

That's the way I feel at the moment Foxgloves. Maybe it's your good influence :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • teafor2 wrote: »
    Hope you feel better HHD and the cold doesn't take hold especially with it being half term. Enjoy the meet up with your friends tomorrow. xx
    Thanks TF2 :). My cold has got a bit worse today but it's not too bad.

It's forecast to be showery tomorrow but we can always camp out in the cafe and chat :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Finally caught up with your diary! And belated congratulations on achieving permanent job status! Well done! :j:j:j

The cluttering has been going gangbusters too! It's great to hear your plans for the home now you can see how much space you have. The loo/bathroom ideas sound excellent.

Glad to hear too that DS2 has got away ok - I'm sure he'll have a great time.

I hope you enjoy your time catching up with your friends today Hairy.
    X
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,246 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I always find that when I don't have any money I see loads of things I want but when I do have the money they suddenly don't seem as attractive. I suppose that's a good thing really.

Well done on putting your wages away so quickly before you can spend them, very admirable :)

Hope you enjoy your catch up today.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • elizabethhull
    elizabethhull Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I got paid today so I had a fun time just now buying another £50 of premium bonds, sending £30 to the Christmas fund, and sending £100 to the EF :money:. I have nothing left now, but at least it will stop me spending it :rotfl:.

Well done with your wages choices - must feel so satisfying. And so lovely to be saving for Xmas in really good time. It gallops up before you know it, and its only human to want to celebrate, treat the family to nice things to eat, make the house look pretty and so on. It doesn't have to cost a fortune, but it does cost SOMETHING. This way you've made a conscious choice to enjoy a modest amount of spending without feeling guilty. In fact you're doing just that quite a lot. It's a far cry from the start of your diary when it would have been impossible to envisage any sort of saving or spending plan.

Choices are a wonderful thing. With barely enough to meet the weekly food bill, choices simply don't exist.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2019 at 5:18PM
    Finally caught up with your diary! And belated congratulations on achieving permanent job status! Well done! :j:j:j

The cluttering has been going gangbusters too! It's great to hear your plans for the home now you can see how much space you have. The loo/bathroom ideas sound excellent.

Glad to hear too that DS2 has got away ok - I'm sure he'll have a great time.

I hope you enjoy your time catching up with your friends today Hairy.
    X

Thank you SSG it's good to hear from you :).
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hope you're not feeling too poorly today HHD and managed to meet up with your friends. Weather here has been rotten most of the day so we've stayed indoors. Not sure what the forecast is but I hope it improves, especially with it being half term. xx
  • Sun_Addict wrote: »
    I always find that when I don't have any money I see loads of things I want but when I do have the money they suddenly don't seem as attractive. I suppose that's a good thing really.

That is so true and as you say probably a good thing :).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure