Winter family buffet for 90yr old

Options
13»

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone - trifle a good idea as I know she likes that - though she might prefer her own making to mine!

I think the secret of really good trifle is not to use jelly, but that's my opinion:rotfl:

Last year we bought loads of party nibbles from Waitrose when they were on special offer before Xmas. Still have some in the freezer. The mini Yorkshires with roast beef were particularly good.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jackomdj wrote: »
    My gran used to love vol-au-vents, and a snowball. Is there anything that your MIL particularly likes?
    Was surprised to see old-style snowballs and Cherry B's in packs of 4 small bottles recently in B&M. Might be nice as a nostalgia thing and nothing wasted as guests might only have one drink? (Have thrown out advocaat before as it was bought on impulse then hardly used...)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • zanuda
    zanuda Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ... I like just plain eggs cut in half - think we have simple tastes!.

Ye-e-es, with caviar on top. Yum-yum. Or, you take the yellow part out, mix with mayonnaise and stuff it back. Absolutely fantastic!. You could add a little bit of grated cheese there. Or, yeelow part+mayonnaise+fried mushrooms....
    Well, boils eggs are fantastic for things like that.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know whether it's been suggested but rather than make sandwiches could you get some tiger sticks/french sticks, a slab of butter and let them make their own sandwiches. Maybe get some pate too.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For my husband's birthday buffet i did smoked salmon, slices of ham, chicken drumsticks, little tomatoes, rocket, various cheeses and sliced french bread.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some sort of greenery/fresh stuff.
    Much as I like carbs and cakes, some buffets can be a bit stodge overload and you need some salad/grapes/whatever to balance it out a bit.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    May be too late but I'd suggest doing jackets potatoes rather than roast - nice and warming and they are very forgiving - you can part bake them ahead of time and then reheat on the day, and they go a bit better with the things like coleslaw.

I agree that some greenery is nice - maybe veggie trays with sliced red, yellow and green peppers, carrot sticks and cucumber sticks, and maybe cherry tomatoes - dead easy to prepare, and adds colour and texture.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure