PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Please can we have the recipe for sweet potato and goat cheese pie, thank you :D

pastry
    175g plain flour
    75g butter or marg
    50g grated parmesan cheese
    1 egg yolk

filling
    75g butter or marg
    450g sliced leeks
    1tbsp fresh chopped thyme
    350g sweet potato peeled and cut into shunks
    150ml dry white wine (if you dont want to use wine double the stock)
    150ml vegetable stock
    300ml double cream
    200gm cubed goats cheese ( found this a little too much so i halve it)
    1 medium egg
    black pepper to taste

make the pastry (only use 2/3 of the parmesan the rest is sprinkled on at the end) wrap in cling film and leave in fridge while you prepare the filling.
    heat oven 180*c gas 4
    melt butter in pan fry leeks potato and thyme for about 10 mins on a low heat so they dont brown too much. Add wine and stock and bring to boil boill rapidly untill reduced by about half, add the cream and bring back to the boil until sauce is nice and thick.
    put filling in pie dish scatter the chunks of goats cheese over it then allow to cool slightly then cover with pastry and sprinkle over remaining parmesan and bake in centre of oven.

enjoy
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • enforced NSD day as ive just been our our sainsburys local and the system is down so they can only do cash payments, the hole in the wall was out of order as well so that stopped me shopping.
    cashier said she thinks its the whole sainsburys system:eek:
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Spend of £16.18 today at Mr W. Went there before work because a lot of things I've been unable to get at my little Mr S local recently.

Checked my receipt just now though and the tortellini which I got because it was supposed to be half price was charged full price at £3.39! Maybe I picked up the wrong one :o It better be good - it cost more than the chicken I got! :eek: I guess it will be a quick after work dinner at some point because it has a BB of the 6th Feb.

Anyway - tonight will be chicken with peppers, tomatoes and onions already in stock with Cajun spice and couscous. I've got enough to keep me going for a week and a bit of dinners now with veggie top ups/lunch extras still required.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • tjak
    tjak Posts: 149 Forumite
    So, I get paid today and start February GC. It is the first month where I have got to pay day with money in my account, unheard of! :j
    I am so pleased to be able to declare January as £221.14/£250, especially as that included my christmas veg box. It is a real step forward, as previously we had been spending £300 - £400 a month :eek: (and that is for 3 of us plus dogs and chickens).

So, please can I aim for £250 again in February, and I will plan to bring it down in March if I am successful again.

Good luck everyone, your support has been fantastic.:T
    Debt free and saving :j
  • well done tjak:T brilliant start to the year
    SPC~12 ot 124

• Morning all :)

I've made it :j 4 NSD in a row (mon-thurs). It would have been 5 been had to get bread, cereal, oil, popped into Ald! and they had 2.5kg white potatoes in super 6 for 69p, so i picked up 2 bags. This was my only impulse perchase, which for me is fantastic. so another £8.41 to add to total. I'm hoping to continue with good NSD runs to keep me under budget. Next goal is to not spend until at least tuesday 24th :D

just incase anyone's interested

ALD! SUPER 6 (69p)
    white potatoes 2.5kg
    kiwi fruit 8pack
    green apples 6pack
    oranges 6pack
    large vine tomatoes 450g
    fine green beans 200g

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK EVERYONE :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
  • LittleMissHappy_2
    LittleMissHappy_2 Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2012 at 12:47PM
    My Mr T order came to a smidge over £80 and have added it to my signature :) DH will be happy as he has been complaining recently that there is never any food in the house (he means snack food as we always have breakfast, lunch and dinner!), however there is still hardly any snack food :D I'm too [STRIKE]tight[/STRIKE] MSE :money: to buy snacks unless they are on a really good deal, I just make stuff, but haven't had a chance the last few weeks. Maybe now would be a good time to encourage him to get a pinny on and do some baking :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

ETA - tjak well done on being in the black at the end of the month :D
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Excellent tjak, well done!
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Avoided OH buying carp from the supermarket this weekend by making stuffed cabbage for the slow cooker last night for tonights tea :) a veggie stew, and some hummingbird choc cupcakes mmmm
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cheers Mrs M, that sounds absolutely gorgeous.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills