Male employee asked to cut hair short

A family member has been advised that, according to company policy and his contract, that he must cut his hair short.

His hair is the same length as when he started his job but has only just been requested to do this i.e. they employed him with this style and he has not significantly changed.

His contract states:
male employees are expected to wear a business suit with coordinated accessories to present a well-groomed conservative business image. Hair should be short, neat and tidy. Male employees should be clean shaven or neatly trimmed facial hair (i.e. moustache or beard) may also be worn;

female employees are expected to wear conservative business attire to present a well-groomed conservative business image. Hair should be neat and tidy. Shoes should not be casual;

He is smart, presentable, suited and wears his long hair typically in a top knot rather than loose and straight.

This feels like this isn't right and is discrimination, but I'm no expert. Can anyone advise?

Comments

• tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I would say its discrimination, based on sex being a protected characteristic under the Equality Act, and there being no obvious exemption based on the information given
  • It's common sense. Long hair on a man looks scruffy. What sort of bum society is it that objects to dress code based on sex. Can a policeman have long hair in a pony tail?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How long has he been working there?

If less than two years, how much does he want to keep the job? Because even if it is discrimination, they can very easily get rid of him for some other reason, and arguing that it was actually sex discrimination would have no guarantee of success.

Is he in a union?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If women are allowed long hair and men aren't, and are doing the same job, then I would say it is sex discrimination. It's only convention that makes long hair ok for women but 'scruffy' for men.
  • Eh.

Was asked to tie my hair back in 2004 in my youth as a Deputy Reception Manager on first day - needed job no problem. Served me well.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's common sense. Long hair on a man looks scruffy. What sort of bum society is it that objects to dress code based on sex. Can a policeman have long hair in a pony tail?
    That attitude is about what I'd expect from a victorian.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    highguyuk wrote: »
    A family member has been advised that, according to company policy and his contract, that he must cut his hair short.

His hair is the same length as when he started his job but has only just been requested to do this i.e. they employed him with this style and he has not significantly changed.

His contract states:
    male employees are expected to wear a business suit with coordinated accessories to present a well-groomed conservative business image. Hair should be short, neat and tidy. Male employees should be clean shaven or neatly trimmed facial hair (i.e. moustache or beard) may also be worn;

female employees are expected to wear conservative business attire to present a well-groomed conservative business image. Hair should be neat and tidy. Shoes should not be casual;

He is smart, presentable, suited and wears his long hair typically in a top knot rather than loose and straight.

This feels like this isn't right and is discrimination, but I'm no expert. Can anyone advise?

On the face of it, it appears a straight forward case of discrimination.

However, as others have mentioned is this something he feels like fighting over and does he have 2 years service yet?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not sure I see the discrimination.

He’s asked to maintain hair in a professional cut

Women are asked to do the same.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Not sure I see the discrimination.

He’s asked to maintain hair in a professional cut

Women are asked to do the same.
    I'm guessing it's the fact that men are told "short, neat and tidy" where the women are only told "neat and tidy".
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Eh.

Was asked to tie my hair back in 2004 in my youth as a Deputy Reception Manager on first day - needed job no problem. Served me well.

The OP states that his family member is wearing his hair in a top knot.
    stator wrote: »
    That attitude is about what I'd expect from a victorian.

It's a preference. Personally I think topknots can look good, not so fond of long hair loose on men. Just a preference.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure