What makes a good cleaner?

Following on from the other thread about cleaners I was wondering ....

I am due to start a job cleaning next week and I've never done it before (i mean as a paid job not that I've never cleaned :rotfl:) A good cleaner is clearly held in very high regard so I was wondering, in your mind, what makes a good cleaner? Obviously it needs to be someone reliable, trustworthy etc but what is it that makes you say "my cleaner is fantastic" or " my cleaner is worth her weight in gold" etc. It's clear from the other thread that plenty of people love their cleaners but what is it that makes you feel that way?

Comments

• I go out and come back 2 hours later and it looks nice and smells nice. Mine does all the rooms as a general clean and then each week does a deep clean of 1 or 2 rooms e.g. cupboard doors, skirting etc - the stuff that just never gets done
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Cleaning professionally to an agreed schedule is different to cleaning your own place. When I worked in a busy American motel we were taught to adhere to a specific routine (ie strip bed first, bathroom sink last). This helps stop you forgetting certain tasks and means you don't muck up stuff you've already done. We only used general cleaner, glass cleaner, towel rags and sheet rags- you don't need multiple different bottles and cloths.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • one thing I would say is ensure you remain professional. Don't comment on the undies you found under the bed or discuss anything with anyone else. Two of my friends shared a cleaner. Cleaner moaned to one of the friends about the state of the other friends rug and how rubbish her hoover was and generally about her house (knowing they knew each other) other friend told friend about this and both sacked the cleaner.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Knowing what to use where - ie. not using something corrosive on certain surfaces etc.

Finding out what needs particular attention from the person whose house it is.
  • I think going the extra mile and actually looking for things that need cleaning (blinds for instance a dust most weeks is fine, but every month or so, they need a bit more through cleaning. I love it if my cleaner says, "I noticed, such and such needed doing", without me having to prompt. There are times when I know that she doesn't work all the time I pay her for (because there is less ironing some weeks), but then there are other weeks when there is a lot more to do. Flexibility is key on both sides, we all get sick, have appointments etc and need to re-schedule things occasionally. We value our cleaner and buy her birthday gifts, flowers, pay her when she goes on holiday and Christmas bonuses.
  • My cleaner brings a clean pair of shoes to change into so that she's not walking on carpets etc in her outdoor shoes. A small touch, but makes a big difference on wet and muddy days!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 August 2017 at 2:02PM
    If your customer is providing cleaning materials, which I always did because there were some I couldn't comfortably be in a room with, please don't wait and then say "whatever" has run out. It is always the day after you have shopped. If they say don't do one room, don't, there will be a good reason.

The very fact that you are considering these things means that you will be good.

ETA I should have said that these are issues I have had with different cleaners. They are not deal breakers but just irritating.
  • Having had numerous cleaners, I'd be happy with anyone who didn't do any of the following:
    - steal from me, then claim it was my fault for putting temptation in your way
    - invite your boyfriend over while you're cleaning to read my paper / eat my biscuits / watch my sky tv
    - not turn up, don't answer any texts for 3 weeks then text to say you've moved to London
    - try to seduce my boyfriend
    - inform me you're going on a 6-week holiday. Starting tomorrow.
    - call me a fussy old woman with OCD because I expect you to move things off the kitchen work-surfaces before cleaning them
    - refuse to use any cleaning products because you're allergic to them
    - refuse to use bleach because you keep spilling it on your clothes and your clothes are apparently too good for this job
    - 'borrow' my clothes then put them back in the wardrobe unwashed

Yes, all those things actually happened. Just turn up when you say you will, and clean properly, and you're off to a good start.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,936 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Be reliable.

Turn up on time.

Stay for the full number of hours you are paid for.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Don't use Cilit Bang on the hob like my OH did - it'll take any ink off (like the pics of what ring the ignition lights). To be fair, I'd prob have used it too.

Good luck!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family