PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    PS - if you like Mueller rice this is a very good HM cheat for it, just use any yoghurt you like. My friend who follows SW diet makes this by the gallon using vanilla flavoured yoghurt and it does taste very similar. http://www.fatboysdiet.com/slimming-world-friendly-muller-rice-syn-free

The very word "yoghurt" makes my skin crawl.... the thought of it grosses me out, ever since the early days when I read it was "live culture" and that made me think of maggots. :)

It's on my list to "try to get over it" as it's everywhere these days and in so many recipes ....and it seems to be available in every shop in a gazillion flavours.... but the very thought of putting it in my mouth grosses me out for now :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The very word "yoghurt" makes my skin crawl.... the thought of it grosses me out, ever since the early days when I read it was "live culture" and that made me think of maggots. :)

It's on my list to "try to get over it" as it's everywhere these days and in so many recipes ....and it seems to be available in every shop in a gazillion flavours.... but the very thought of putting it in my mouth grosses me out for now :)
    I can be iffy about the texture/taste of cheapo flavoured yoghurts but I love greek or thick yoghurt. I mainly use it in cooking though. I tried making my own once yonks ago - don't what I did wrong but suffice to say it wasn't edible:o
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I can be iffy about the texture/taste of cheapo flavoured yoghurts but I love greek or thick yoghurt. I mainly use it in cooking though. I tried making my own once yonks ago - don't what I did wrong but suffice to say it wasn't edible:o

Yoghurt for me has to be set - the texture of most yoghurts repulses me:o

Hi folks

Feeling a bit more alive the past few days so eating a little more rationally. Breakfast today was avocado on toast, lunch a bowl of salad and evening empire pie with extra veggies. There is an out of date sponge pud in the fridge that i'm trying to decide whether it will still be safe to nuke and eat.

Am following all the emptying freezer discussions with interest. I do not have one - although there is a small freezer section inside the fridge. I have a very small house and kitchen - I feel a bit like Alice after she drank the potion when in it:) I have also never cooked for a big family.

The small freezer section contains: peas, chips, frozen fruit, ice cubes, ice cream and fish fingers. In the event of catastrophe I could survive several days on it and what is in the store cupboards.

I am continually being told by people (not you lovely people;)) that I need a freezer but I am still unsure why - I often forget that there is stuff in the freezer section anyway so fear I'd simply feed a freezer and then forget about it.

There is a little extra room for the odd leftovers, pots of soup when I've done a big cook as long as I pack it efficiently. I also used to have a few slices of bread in there until I discovered sourdough that doesn't seem to go off.

I must admit I can get to food shops relatively easily so maybe that is the difference but with the fridge as well I do find that I can keep a good selection of food and am not sure exactly what I am missing out on. Hordes rarely ever descend on me and if they did then I'd probably rush to the chippie or go out as a horde of anything but very tiny people wouldn't fit in the house anyway:rotfl:

What is the best thing you find about having a freezer?
  • caronc
    poppystar wrote: »
    Yoghurt for me has to be set - the texture of most yoghurts repulses me:o

Hi folks

Feeling a bit more alive the past few days so eating a little more rationally. Breakfast today was avocado on toast, lunch a bowl of salad and evening empire pie with extra veggies. There is an out of date sponge pud in the fridge that i'm trying to decide whether it will still be safe to nuke and eat.

Am following all the emptying freezer discussions with interest. I do not have one - although there is a small freezer section inside the fridge. I have a very small house and kitchen - I feel a bit like Alice after she drank the potion when in it:) I have also never cooked for a big family.

The small freezer section contains: peas, chips, frozen fruit, ice cubes, ice cream and fish fingers. In the event of catastrophe I could survive several days on it and what is in the store cupboards.

I am continually being told by people (not you lovely people;)) that I need a freezer but I am still unsure why - I often forget that there is stuff in the freezer section anyway so fear I'd simply feed a freezer and then forget about it.

There is a little extra room for the odd leftovers, pots of soup when I've done a big cook as long as I pack it efficiently. I also used to have a few slices of bread in there until I discovered sourdough that doesn't seem to go off.

I must admit I can get to food shops relatively easily so maybe that is the difference but with the fridge as well I do find that I can keep a good selection of food and am not sure exactly what I am missing out on. Hordes rarely ever descend on me and if they did then I'd probably rush to the chippie or go out as a horde of anything but very tiny people wouldn't fit in the house anyway:rotfl:

Glad you are feeling more like it. Tbh a freezer is something I regard as an essential, I did for years pre-family have just a wee ice compartment at the top of the fridge. Best things for me to have one for 1) not having to endlessy eat a batch cook and 2) taking advantage of reduced items/bulk buys. You can buy quite small ones. My younger son left home last year, he's in a shared house so had one freezer drawer, like is mum he enjoys cooking & likes a bargain so I got him a mini one for his Christmas last year. He is really finding it makes a difference in his food bills so £80 well spent. It's this one https://www.tesco.com/direct/russell-hobbs-rhttfz1-freestanding-table-top-freezer-white/329-9746.prd?skuId=329-9746 though I got it for less in a Black Friday sale last November.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 8 August 2017 at 9:52PM
    poppystar wrote: »
    I've rarely had one in my life, so using it and what to put in it and what I'll eat from it is a bit of a learning curve still... which is why I experiment quite a bit with what I put in it and how I stack/fill it.

The best thing about having a freezer has been being able to buy frozen chips and not have to eat the whole bag in 2 days :)

I love being able to buy fish fingers too ... and cut/freeze pies and the odd bit of bought quiche.

It is a nuisance though, having one, as it is easy to have food that lurks for months....

The assumptions of others that you can "freeze it" for everything is annoying - because, as a CFO, one is simply not eating through it fast enough - and, if you're living alone, with a smaller freezer, it can be filled so quickly, meaning you can shop once and have a pile of stuff in there you don't fancy for months.

I like variety ... and, while a freezer does enable some variety, it's also a limiter. A 1Kg bag of frozen veg, can take many, many meals before you see the back of it... and not all veggies accompany every meal.

It has brought me pies though - being able to buy a family sized pie and cut it into four pieces.... that has been a great joy to me :)

So ... pie and chips and fish fingers and burgers and fishcakes ... oh and cheap crumpets and big bread rolls.

I think that's my list of "most useful items I can shove in it".
    ....It's this one https://www.tesco.com/direct/russell-hobbs-rhttfz1-freestanding-table-top-freezer-white/329-9746.prd?skuId=329-9746 though I got it for less in a Black Friday sale last November.
    I looked at your link - my freezer holds just double that.
  • caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Unusual for me to be the first poster of the day, hope that means everyone is enjoying some sunshine:). It's a combination of brilliant sunshine and cloudy/windy today here so I'm hoping to spend some time in the garden later.
    Usual toast and fruit for breakfast and lunch will be pork pie, beetroot and salad. Tonight I'm making meatballs in tomato sauce with pasta. The meatballs are a small pack of Tesco Finest ones on SO some time ago and the basis of the sauce a portion of roasted tomato & red pepper soup that's been lurking in the freezer since my son made it last summer:o, so not much to do prep wise except add some more veg to the sauce:D. I'll get 2 portions (or 2 and a bit we'll see) out of this so of course the teeny space left in the freezer from taking out the meat balls/soup will be filled back up!
  • PasturesNew
    Wet and cold here. It's stopped raining now though...but still nippy.

Not had anything to eat - currently "hanging" on Facebook trying to buy a bit of furniture and awaiting address/time to view.... so daren't start any form of lunch in case I get a message saying "1pm OK?"
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good morning everyone,
    Unusual for me to be the first poster of the day, hope that means everyone is enjoying some sunshine:).
    Afraid not, it is raining cats and dogs here, there was a river running down the road outside earlier. The forecast is for heavy rain all day here :(. I want summer back!
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Breakfast was one of my usual choices of scrambled eggs on toast.

I went to Tesco first thing and they had turnips, swede and parsnips all sitting together. As I already had onions and carrots at home I made a sudden decision to have a traditional warming beef stew with dumplings. That's now in the slow cooker and the house is starting to smell of lovely warming food. I'm so looking forward to this. The problem is...there will be two portions left over. <sigh>

I'm going to have a tuna mayo sandwich in a minute, then that will be another tin used up. I'm slowly getting there with the tuna, just wish I could say the same about the freezer.
  • Weather pretty decent here (which isnt that common...) - but am stuck in indoors ploughing through piles of paperwork (and yet more googling) in connection with possible unexpected money I might or might not be due for.

Have got a much better "brain" than mine working on this for me:) - and am looking for answers to their questions at the moment.

Lunch - grabbed "on the run" was what was supposed to be chia pudding. But it was first time of trying that recipe and obviously I'd used far too high a proportion of liquid - so I drank it instead. Then a banana and toast.

Back to "the grindstone".....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport