PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    People say when you're CFO you can "eat what you want!" - NO. You have to eat all this stuff you've already opened, that's going off, that you have to eat alone, all of it .... so, having opened anything it lurks and you end up continuously focussing on what needs using up, no time to "eat what you want" most of the time... you're simply food juggling and making do and using up.

Not just that ^^ but also there are lots of things that I just wouldn't buy no matter how much I might want them because they are sold in too big portions, are too costly, or need to be used in recipes too complicated to contemplate and would take too long to cook relative to eating time…or need kitchen gadgets that I don't have and that wouldn't fit in the kitchen!!

So NO I don't think we can eat what we want.

At least not at home. I save up such things for restaurant meals or eating out. Usually meals with lots of different ingredients but only a few bits of each so making it near impossible to do at home without lots of wastage. e.g.. salads stuffed with loads of goodies:)

Ready meals get bad press but they do allow more variety overall so I do succumb on occasion:)

Now I must go figure what to do with the 600g of grapes I picked up YS for 45p...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    poppystar wrote: »
    Now I must go figure what to do with the 600g of grapes I picked up YS for 45p...

Certainly the "tip" of freezing them to add as ice cubes to drinks is a naff one .... you'd have to be an alcoholic to get through them ... :)
    And it still doesn't address the fact they'd take up freezer space.

Best thing is probably to put them in a bowl very close to you and rely on just nibbling at them for 3-4 days. Even that's a bit optimistic. :)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 15 September 2017 at 1:04PM
    Options
    I need to make a bubble/squeak as I've half a cabbage to use up ... but I've no spuds as I used those the other day - and I don't wish to buy more spuds as I want "a break" between buying things in big bags that then lurk a long time.

I'll probably end up just eating it as cabbage as I've also got carrots to use up ... and I've some mixed swede/spud mash I made Sunday that's now on its last legs. So, today, it looks like lunch and tea might have to be those leftovers .... but with what? I've nothing to go with them unless I shove a burger on the plate, which is a bit odd.

Oh - and 1/3rd of a swede .... still got that.

I'll remember something soon that makes a meal of that rag bag of stuff.

And let's not even wonder what will be happening to the loaf of bread and the tomatoes that are sitting idle while/if I cook those vegetables. There's a limit to how much food you can eat in one day ....

And the milk is best before tomorrow.... and I've opened a pack of cheese slices.... 10 left.

I would make one of those wartime pies.... woolton .... except that's spud-reliant.

I've got "all the wrong veggies" for many things... not even good for a veg curry/chilli.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    OK, I had that unexpected thought .... cottage pie .... because I've got leftover swede/spud mash ... which can go on top. The carrots I've got can go in with the lamb and the cabbage can be served on the side :)

So I'll knock that up in a bit. Need a rest first while I gather my Round Tuit.

It'll have chicken gravy because .... as a CFO you can't have a selection of gravy in the cupboard, you have to choose just one and get through all of that - and I currently have chicken granules in the cupboard.
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Yet again I had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast. I'm going to have something different tomorrow.

I've opened another tin of tuna, so I'm back on the tuna mayo sandwiches for lunch.

Dinner is going to be a lamb rump steak with steamed veg and mash. When I was rummaging through the freezer to find something for dinner this morning I realised that I've got quite a lot of lamb in there, so it looks like lamb will be on the menu quite a lot for a while.
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Idea for some of the grapes - am about to do a veg curry so I may throw some in there after all they are only undried raisons/sultanas or whatever aren't they and you often find those in curries. ;)

Otherwise it is the put them close by and nibble relentlessly - but healthier than crisps or chocolate:)

Didn't know you could freeze as ice cubes - do they really not go squishy when they melt in the drink? May try one or two of those although it will be non-alcoholic drinks I would put them in of course:grin:
  • PasturesNew
    edited 15 September 2017 at 3:59PM
    Options
    OMG .... this is one of the best shepherd's pies I've ever had....

Yet again: why don't I cook more often .... because I love the end result when I do :)

It's used up half an unopened bag of lamb mince I had in the freezer ... and some swede/carrot mash from the freezer ... and the last of the swede/spud mash from the fridge ... and some peas from the freezer ... and one of the onions that was starting to get a bit manky ... and one of the carrots bought last week.

Got a portion of the mince mix leftover.... so that goes in the fridge for tomorrow.
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    OMG .... this is one of the best shepherd's pies I've ever had....

Yet again: why don't I cook more often .... because I love the end result when I do :)
    I love shepherd's pie, and like you when I make it I always think that I should do it more often. I don't know why I don't. It's one of those meals that I would quite happily make and eat two or three days running.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    poppystar wrote: »
    She could maybe do that this weekend :rotfl::rotfl: Marks have chickens at £2 small and £2.50 medium….don't normally buy a whole one myself but am deffo thinking about t if they have some left next visit.

Thanks for that, I find Mark's chicks are nice, and if they are roast in bag, even better. I have no qualms about chickens, or preparing them. Old school, sitting in Nan's kitchen gutting & plucking them. We even used to pull the tendons in the claws to make a grab. :D I expect she would be reported for child cruelty these days, or write a blog about homely food

Nil breakfast

Lild had one YS I fancied, smoked mackerel, so quick change of plan for dinner

Lunch was ham salad sandwich, now down to the last couple of slices for tomorrow, then change lunch food

Dinner will now be YS smoked mackerel, salad, and was going to be baked spud, but the spud had sprouted, so now it is same spud but chipped in the Actifry
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    lol PN, you are a whizz with just going -off veg and I remember those grabbing yellow chicken claws farway

anyone seen money? she isn`t normally so quiet

I had a bitty day, ate my fill of veg but the bowlful with soya beans at lunchtime was truly boring. Best bit of that meal was the LO apple crumble. Last meal was three small slices of spelt bread with damson jelly and then I felt guilty, not enough fresh veg at that pathetic meal, so I juiced a load of assorted veg and drank some, keeping the rest for tomorrow morning and evening as I am going out. Some days are blooming hard to keep varied. I`ve been busy clearing so will spend some time next week making more ready meals and some soup. Thank heavens my fish order is arriving next week
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure