Parked car smashed into by new driver

I parked my car and went into work. Came back 5 hours later to find my car shunted back from its parking space into the back of another car and halfway on the pavement. The right side wheel and door all smashed in the tyre burst and the left side back bumper damaged. Insurance company talking about writing the car off as it may be unrepairable. The young man driving said as he was coming down the road his steering suddenly veered to the right ( it was his mother's car he was driving) and he'd only passed his test the previous Friday. Now liability is pending although I feel this is just procedure I'm worried that this guy is not going to accept liability for it and blame it on a car fault...so how would that work? My car is NHS lease and brand new. He also scraped the car in front. Then he said angily that my car was not parked where I said was which was right behind the other scraped car. The guy and his mother accepted full liability at the scene but I suspect after going home to family conversations have taken place and no liability might be the push....there was a witness but I didn't take his details because I thought all the damage to his car and mine spoke for itself. I was in work. What I'm asking is what could be the possible outcome scenarios of this situation..I've never owned a car before or experienced this kind of incident. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This is on the wrong board, ask a board guide to move it to the motoring section.
  • What if, perhaps, might be. All good things but you are best to wait and see what happens rather than asking for help on a problem that does not yet exist
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't see how he can deny liability, he drove into multiple parked cars. Even if he lost control of the steering, after bumping/scraping the first car he should have braked not continue to hit another car. Unless he's going to claim that both the steering and the brakes were faulty but only happened to show the fault when a new and inexperienced driver was behind the wheel and never while his mother has been behind the wheel.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you were legally parked, he hasn't got any defence. Just let your insurers deal with it-I trust you did get details of his insurers?
    He's probably trying to deny liability because he's now realised the impact that a claim (within days of passing his test) is going to have on his already high insurance premium.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,467
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Even if the car was parked illegally there is still has no defence. He drove into parked vehicles

New driver, probably fiddling with the radio or on the phone, eyes off the road, car wanders, accident.
  • Thank you for your reassuring replies I feel much more confident about it and to the forum police who replied I am entitled to ask what ever question I like on these boards so if you can't give a sensitive answer don't bother answering at all thanks in advance...
  • Check to see if the car is repairable by someone else, they are usually cheaper than the insurance repairers as they also have to pay the insurance company. You may find that the cost is within the amount the company offers you for scrap and you could buy it from them at scrap value. Also don't be afraid to haggle with them they will try to pay you/your mum as little as possible.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sprinkly wrote: »
    Thank you for your reassuring replies I feel much more confident about it and to the forum police who replied I am entitled to ask what ever question I like on these boards so if you can't give a sensitive answer don't bother answering at all thanks in advance...

The "forum police", as you so rudely called them, are right in that your question better belongs on the motoring board - because that is where you will get more helpful replies as that is where members who have most knowledge on the subject generally post. Its common sense, not insensitive.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sprinkly wrote: »
    Thank you for your reassuring replies I feel much more confident about it and to the forum police who replied I am entitled to ask what ever question I like on these boards so if you can't give a sensitive answer don't bother answering at all thanks in advance...

Who are you talking about? This is the Praise, Vent and Warning Board. Someone kindly pointed you in the direction of the Motoring Board which would have been the more appropriate place to ask your question.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I was shunted while stationary at a roundabout and luckily the person took responsibility and her insurers called next day.

The car is an old mark 1 Fiat Punto,but I find the seats much more comfortable than more modern shaped ones,so didn't want to lose it. (It's also handy as a shopping car with no worries about clonks from doors and trolleys).

The insurers wrote it off (as it is old,though damage was only cosmetic),offering a good price for a replacement and more than enough for a repair (tailgate and respray), so we bought the car back by taking the offered price less 10%.

(The door has been left unrepaired as the car is just as drivable and has since passed an MOT.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure