The best things in life are not things.
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Zola. wrote: »
    The best things in life are not things.
    In your opinion
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Dird wrote: »
    In your opinion

Its a fact; health, happiness, love, family. All trump materialistic things.

I like materialistic things too though!
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    [FONT=&quot]I’m a bit uncomfortable with the quasi-religious (“why have so few seen the light”) and moral judgements in discussions like this one. People make choices that have consequences that they may or may not be aware of. Spending can be visible but conspicuous consumption doesn’t necessarily imply debt; as I said on another thread there are wealthy people around that can afford what they spend. Why is it necessary to place your particular choice of lifestyle as morally superior to others?[/FONT]
  • coyrls wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]I’m a bit uncomfortable with the quasi-religious (“why have so few seen the light”) and moral judgements in discussions like this one. People make choices that have consequences that they may or may not be aware of. Spending can be visible but conspicuous consumption doesn’t necessarily imply debt; as I said on another thread there are wealthy people around that can afford what they spend. Why is it necessary to place your particular choice of lifestyle as morally superior to others?[/FONT]

I don't think its thinking of it as morally superior, although when an individual comes around to seeing their own life from a new perspective I think the sense of awakening can be similar to those that find religion. Whats religion if not a way of life?
    Its therefore natural too that having experienced a sense of enlightenment and felt the positive effects of this that people that have come round to lets say an FIRE way of thinking would want to pass this on to others. There's lots of similarities between this and religious movements now i'm thinking about it.
  • I think it is just common knowledge that a large proportion of people are in eye watering debt, whether it be the massive mortgage or the debt to finance the bling lifestyle, cars on monthly payments etc.?

I'd love to know who all these mythical people are...? Never met one... Sure some people might have a large mortgage but live frugally or live cheaply and have a nice car etc but so what?

Of course there are a few individuals that over extend, hardly news worthy and can be sorted.

Perhaps this moral superiority gives a section of society a much needed comfort blanket...
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've always been a saver but don't admonish the spenders if they want to work till the're 75 or 80 and imagine they can have a job at that age which keeps them in their lifestyle - driving the brand new Merc to work to stack the trolleys in the supermarket car park?

If they think they can live off the state pension then, well that's their choice. The problem will come when there is not enough taxpayers money to keep them all from starving, and the way the debt is going, and the less and less we get back in services from taxes we pay each year it could well be a problem. The people cashing in their pensions since the freedoms can't be helping.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    The problem also comes when financial engineering, repression and manipulation are being engineered by the omnipotent central politburo to keep their client banks and the borrowers that feed them afloat at the expense of everyone else.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    I'd love to know who all these mythical people are...? Never met one...
    You probably have but you just don't realise
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37504449
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40154370
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39453844
    People are more likely to show off their new car than they are their credit card debt. People on "Can't Pay We'll Take It Away" and "Til Debt Do Us Part" don't even know how much debt they have (by way of their wife/husband...or themselves but just ignoring it)
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    I'd love to know who all these mythical people are...? Never met one... Sure some people might have a large mortgage but live frugally or live cheaply and have a nice car etc but so what? .

I thought that everyone was like me and had emergency savings, it came as quite a surprise when others I know on similar or higher salaries and similar circumstances have revealed that they can't do something until payday or had built up substantial credit card debt.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure