PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Which house survey?

2»

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Definitely go for full building survey. Not only will you go into (or withdraw from) the purchase fully educated and armed for what you are buying, you'll also have a report that will inform you of expenses over the next five to ten years.

Fenland subsidence is extremely common - the Victorian farmhouses have limited foundations and the shrinkage of the land has often exposed half of what was below ground. The brick is often that grey-buff style, very hard, and prone to stand up to stresses... just so far, and than fail. That means active subsidence can easily be masked (in a way that the softer Norfolk reds won't mask).

If it is a farm house, or a farm cottage, many in the same small area were built at the same time, by the same people. What fails in one may fail in its neighbour, so well worth looking closely at neighbouring similar houses for evidence of rebuild/cracks through bricks.

Many of the houses were cheaply-built, and poorly maintained; the Fens was an extremely poor area until recent times, and there just wasn't the money to spend. Look out for poor and thin roof trusses! Those winds do whip over, and they economised on timber!

There are plenty of surveyors who charge little more for a full survey than for a homebuyer's - there's one in Bury St Edmunds I have used twice who I can recommend(ish), and will travel to most of the southern fenland (maybe further, as the market is quiet). Personally, I would prefer to use as local surveyor as possible, IF he were good, as he'd know of similar houses and the local topography.

If you have a good, good look at the house yourself, identify what concerns you, and then WRITE a letter (not email, but you can send an e-copy) posing these questions, the surveyor will answer them to the best of his ability.

The flood maps of the Fens are relevant, but they are not really reliable on a year-to-year basis, as the dependence on flood defence is so high. The annual risk seems overstated (in areas I know well), but the risk of (no - it's not of, it's FROM... they are accurately predicting the annual risk) catastrophic failure is underrated. I guess they can't balance the risk of bank and pump failure. I know that seems counter-intuitive, and they should know better than I do, but I would place an element of caution on them.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Being in the Fenlands, have you have looked at the Environment Agency's flood map and obtained insurance quotes for the exact addess?

Yes I've had an informal chat with a planner and it does sit above flood zone.
  • DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Definitely go for full building survey. Not only will you go into (or withdraw from) the purchase fully educated and armed for what you are buying, you'll also have a report that will inform you of expenses over the next five to ten years.

Fenland subsidence is extremely common - the Victorian farmhouses have limited foundations and the shrinkage of the land has often exposed half of what was below ground. The brick is often that grey-buff style, very hard, and prone to stand up to stresses... just so far, and than fail. That means active subsidence can easily be masked (in a way that the softer Norfolk reds won't mask).

If it is a farm house, or a farm cottage, many in the same small area were built at the same time, by the same people. What fails in one may fail in its neighbour, so well worth looking closely at neighbouring similar houses for evidence of rebuild/cracks through bricks.

Many of the houses were cheaply-built, and poorly maintained; the Fens was an extremely poor area until recent times, and there just wasn't the money to spend. Look out for poor and thin roof trusses! Those winds do whip over, and they economised on timber!

There are plenty of surveyors who charge little more for a full survey than for a homebuyer's - there's one in Bury St Edmunds I have used twice who I can recommend(ish), and will travel to most of the southern fenland (maybe further, as the market is quiet). Personally, I would prefer to use as local surveyor as possible, IF he were good, as he'd know of similar houses and the local topography.

If you have a good, good look at the house yourself, identify what concerns you, and then WRITE a letter (not email, but you can send an e-copy) posing these questions, the surveyor will answer them to the best of his ability.

The flood maps of the Fens are relevant, but they are not really reliable on a year-to-year basis, as the dependence on flood defence is so high. The annual risk seems overstated (in areas I know well), but the risk of (no - it's not of, it's FROM... they are accurately predicting the annual risk) catastrophic failure is underrated. I guess they can't balance the risk of bank and pump failure. I know that seems counter-intuitive, and they should know better than I do, but I would place an element of caution on them.

Many thanks for your reply, if you could recommend the surveyor you have used in BSE... that would be most appreciated.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'll send you a PM .... With an explanation of my reservations on the firm!
  • I'm financially sailing close to the wind with the purchase and therefore have zero appetite for risk.

The house was built in 18something and although not close by, there was a younger property on the same road which was up for sale recently with subsidence issues... I think thats my main worry.

The difference between a building survey and a homebuyers report is a few hundred quid, but the potential of huge losses are high if you go for the homebuyers report then in a few years find out there are structural issues.

Better safe than sorry.
  • Narkynewt wrote: »
    The difference between a building survey and a homebuyers report is a few hundred quid, but the potential of huge losses are high if you go for the homebuyers report then in a few years find out there are structural issues.

Better safe than sorry.

Thanks, seems to be the genera consensus, which I was unsure of.
  • DaftyDuck wrote: »
    I'll send you a PM .... With an explanation of my reservations on the firm!

Thanks for your PM, I've tried to reply twice but it does not show up in my sent messages... but essentially, thanks for your advice.

:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport