PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Comments

• My champagne moment yesterday was going to watch Stan and Ollie at the Odeon Luxe in Leicester Square. I had a premium Luxe recliner seat so I was laying back with my feet up to watch this film. When the seat is fully reclined and the footrest is up, both at the touch of a button, I feel as if I am laying in utmost comfort. :T

It is a profoundly insightful, funny, moving film. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are absolutely astounding in their lead roles as Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy respectively. I would give this film 10/10 as I just cannot see how it could be improved on. :j:D:T

I had never been aware of the British tour that Laurel and Hardy had undertaken later in their career or of their personal lives or marriages. I had always loved the Laurel & Hardy films and found the comedy duo extremely funny, so I was determined to watch this film. :D

I'm hoping to see that, it looks really good.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A couple of weeks ago I started looking at Rightmove as I am feeling the moving itch - my house is lovely, but the kitchen is too small and my son's bedroom is also tiny. He will be 18 soon and I think he needs more space. Ideally I would like to find my ideal house at a much lower price than my current house so I could also reduce my mortgage (which currently has 14 years to run...I can't wait that long...) but I don't think that will happen so I plan to make some decor and furniture changes here to make me feel better. !

Mrs_slapshot, won't your son be moving out soon? At least to go into further education? Will it really be worthwhile to buy a new house, when he will only be living there for a short while?
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd never heard she had lesbian affairs, I knew Sarah Churchill was a favourite but they were childhood friends weren't they so I didn't connect that with being a lesbian and I thought she was supposed to have been devoted to her husband as he was to her. All very confusing, might have to read a bit of history.

It was deffo an eye opener , not sure if it's historically accurate though ;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • candygirl wrote: »
    It was deffo an eye opener , not sure if it's historically accurate though ;)

Poor woman, imagine 17 pregnancies, one child who lived to 11 and the others either miscarried, still born or dead before they were 2. How would you get through that and be sane, I know I couldn't.
  • Not to mention her grandfather being beheaded, her father being deposed, her mother dying when she was only 6. What a life!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Had a really great day yesterday and made good progress on decluttering the study. I Now have space in there to set up some exercise equipment and space in my sitting room for my yoga mat. It's such a pleasure to enjoy streamlined, uncluttered rooms again.

I love the luxury of space and light.

I have often tried to create the illusion of space, the strategic placing of mirrors to bounce light around anD make rooms feel spacious and airy, adding ingenious storage solutions. When all along the solution was staring me in the face.......just get rid of my excess stuff......:rotfl:

Why did it take so long for the penny to drop. :D

Anyway I am about halfway through phase 1 of the great declutter and I can hardly tell you how much better I feel. I have a busy week planned so I probably won't be able to achieve much for a few days, but maybe a bit of a respite will do me good.

During my decluttering I have unearthed my Crown Derby and Royal Worcester. I am going to display it and/or use it. Why make do with cheap chainstore bric a brac when I can display my treasures instead of having them stuck in the back of a cupboard. I've now released them and got rid of the cuobiard. :rotfl:

I have found two dresses I forgot about. I shall wear them. I have found some paintings which I love so I will hang them. I was waiting until I had decorated.....why. Why not enjoy their beauty now. Why not wear my nice clothes.

No more saving stuff for best......the best is now. No more being scared to use things for fear of breaking them - yes I'm clumsy in the kitchen.....lol. If they break, then they break. IF!!! They might not and I will have denied myself the pleasure of using them.

In future I will wear things out - not let them rot in storage.
  • Went to wyevale garden centre yesterday. Spent £4.90 and at checkout got voucher for afternoon tea for two £12 until 10 feb. Think that will go on my to do list...
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all.Was up at silly am worrying about Zeusy pups op today.He's having the snip, poor baby I dropped him off at the vets, n he was crying when I left him, feel so guilty:(
    His big Sis Bonnie , is currently taking full advantage, by lying on my knee n eating toast :rotfl:
    I need to keep busy, to keep my mind off the op, so am steaming the floors, n doing a bit of decluttering .
    LL sounds like you've had a productive weekend!:D I'm with you on not saving things for best.Life's too short to save stuff ;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My champagne moment yesterday was a surprise visit from my older son and his two daughters. :j

My son had bought me a bouquet of yellow roses (my favourite flowers) and pale pink lilies and a whole rack of ribs from the market in Nine Elms. :T My son was shocked to find that the rack of ribs had doubled in price since his last visit 2 years ago. I took photos of the flowers once I had arranged them in my crystal vase. :D

We all had so much fun together and there was so much communication between us all. I love talking to my 2 granddaughters as both of them are very mature thinkers and conversationalists and are interested in all of the usual teenage things but also like to have opinions about lots of other subject matters. My son and his daughters all have a great sense of humour so there was lots of laughter in my home yesterday. :D

I went to a local Jamaican wine bar in the evening for a night of dancing and I had a great time. :D
  • Siebrie wrote: »
    Mrs_slapshot, won't your son be moving out soon? At least to go into further education? Will it really be worthwhile to buy a new house, when he will only be living there for a short while?

When I read your very sensible reply I did realise how daft an idea it would be to move house to something that would only be a solution for a relatively short time! I think he'll be with me for a few years yet, he won't be going to university, it will either be a job or an apprenticeship (fingers crossed) so he won't be earning much for a while.

And LL - great idea to have no spend days. I could have those on at least 3 days a week, 4 if I push it. I've also decided no more than £20 on groceries next week - eek!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback