In a car accident 4 months ago... still in pain

Hi all,

I was rear ended in a car accident 4 months ago. Off work 2 weeks with back pain. Third party paid for lost wages. Have had physio for 4 months provided by third party insurance. Still in alot of pain and sciatica running down bum and leg. They now want me to see an "independent GP" for further investigation. I asked to see my own one but that not what they offer as assistance. Dont know what to do. The person driving didnt have legal cover and dont really want to use one of those no win no fee sharks. What should I do? See their doctor or see my own and get a solictior?

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Pefkos wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was rear ended in a car accident 4 months ago. Off work 2 weeks with back pain. Third party paid for lost wages. Have had physio for 4 months provided by third party insurance. Still in alot of pain and sciatica running down bum and leg. They now want me to see an "independent GP" for further investigation. I asked to see my own one but that not what they offer as assistance. Dont know what to do. The person driving didnt have legal cover and dont really want to use one of those no win no fee sharks. What should I do? See their doctor or see my own and get a solictior?

Do you have legal cover through your own insurance?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Have you been to see your GP? Did they sign you off work?

If your own GP says you can't work then they are going to have to pay out, it's just a question of awkward they will be about it.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They are entitled to ask for an independent medical report. You don't need a solicitor at this stage, and in fact if they offer you an acceptable sum after they receive the report you probably won't need one except a solicitor could be invaluable when negotiating due to any ongoing or likely future medical problems. Most solicitors fees would form part of the claim against the insurers.

It might be a good idea to see if you can get a preliminary free interview with a solicitor to get an idea of the value of your claim.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you want to claim compensation for your injuries you have to be seen by a GP. Not your own GP, an independent GP. They will write a report for the insurer and they will then make you offers for your injuries.

If you go via solicitor, you'll still have to be seen by an independent GP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure