i owe ebay money

Options
2»

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    Options
    Which has been answered, there is zero chance that eBay/PayPal will call the police.
    I think the seriousness of that shouldn't be underestimated. The OP has admitted obtaining money by deception, and the question was eBay "can eBay" do that?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Which has been answered, there is zero chance that eBay/PayPal will call the police.
    Perhaps and it probably seems likely. However there are several reported cases where Ebay have provided evidence to the police and other authorities.

I know no one on here is advocating it but it does seem like the OP is being told that it's ok to defraud buyers for a few thousand pound as long as Ebay carries the tab.

There are several ways that this could end up with the police however unlikely.

My immediate thought when I first read this was that it was a prank post. If it is genuine I'd suggest the OP heads to the Citizen's Advice who can help with more than just the debt problems.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 August 2019 at 2:13PM
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    Perhaps and it probably seems likely. However there are several reported cases where Ebay have provided evidence to the police and other authorities.

I know no one on here is advocating it but it does seem like the OP is being told that it's ok to defraud buyers for a few thousand pound as long as Ebay carries the tab.

There are several ways that this could end up with the police however unlikely.

My immediate thought when I first read this was that it was a prank post. If it is genuine I'd suggest the OP heads to the Citizen's Advice who can help with more than just the debt problems.

I agree that OP, should they return and if they are genuine, would be best suited getting proper legal advice.

As someone who pays fees to PayPal and eBay that cover the run up debts by rogues and crooks I would personally hope that ebay/PayPal took proper steps to recover this money rather than leaving a funding gap that ultimately mean honest sellers pay extra for in their fees. However, a pragmatic approach suggests that PayPal take the easy route, send in debt collectors and basically leave it at that.

I am mindful of the fact that OP claims addiction as a mitigating factor, and also that MSE expect us to be polite to new members but I think that actually prosecuting some of these fraudsters (and leaving aside mitigating factors this was fraud) might serve the majority of users better. Firstly it woulld mean those considering fraud might pause to think and consider the implications of their action, it would mean buyers have more faith in the system and would mean that PayPal didn't have to put aside funds to cover fraud which ultimately the honest sellers pay for. However , as usual PayPal take the easy option.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure