Milan Travel Suggestions!

Options
Hello All,

Family is going to Milan for few days in August. Someone shocked me by saying that month is dry as shops close early etc

A colleague suggest having a day trip to Lake Como.

Anyone have further suggestion?

Thanks

Kay

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have posted in the section to report bargains, Pogofish, if he or she were around, would be telling you off but I won't! Yes, Milan can be quieter than usual as the population leaves because of the humidity.

Despite that, we enjoyed a long weekend there one August. A day trip to Lake Como is a good idea but many people take the train to the town of Como itself which did not wow me, much prefered Varenna which is on a different train line altogether but easy to reach from Milan Centrale. If you like train travel it is easy to do a day trip to Venice/Verona (Romeo and Juliet's balcony etc) or Vincenza, they are all on the same line.

It is also easy to get to Switzerland by train, we really enjoyed the town and lake of Lugano which is another easy trip to get out of Milan
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Milan is very close to Bergamo (the Ryanair Milan airport!) and the old town of Bergamo is an absolute gem. Best advice is to get there and just have a wander.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you flying to BGY or Malpensa MXP?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Monza is great for a day trip and not far at all, it's within the Milan conurbation.
    Superb park, massive palace, usually a load of swish cars to ogle (although they might be at the coast in August).
  • amberhen49
    amberhen49 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Lake Como is stunning and within easy reach on the train. I'd second Bergamo as well. Many people just pass straight through using the airport but if you get chance to head into the town then I'd recommend that.

Venice is probably an option if you're just after a whistle stop tour. It's 2 hours 30 minutes on the fast trains from Milan (over 3 hours using the cheaper regional trains), so 5 hours out of your day with a return trip.

Still can't post links.:wall:

thelocal.it/20181205/best-day-trips-from-milan

I absolutely love Italy but unless you're heading to the beach or the mountains, then I'd always avoid Italian cities in August.
  • Kaybenson
    Kaybenson Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Are you flying to BGY or Malpensa MXP?

Malpensa Airport. Thanks
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 July 2019 at 3:28AM
    Options
    Milan is very close to Bergamo (the Ryanair Milan airport!) and the old town of Bergamo is an absolute gem. Best advice is to get there and just have a wander.

Seconded.

Como Town is bleurgh
    A trip on Lake Como is like a trip on a boat anywhere.
    We hoped we see the Alps but couldn't.

Varenna is good.

BTW we weren't overly impressed with Milan.

The painting of the Last Supper is worth a visit but iirc you are limited to a 15 minute viewing and if like us a party of Americans pushed their way to the front of the queue and then spent 15 minutes at the front of the barrier taking photos even though photos weren't allowed again iirc then you might be disappointed by that visit.
    You have to book for this viewing.

If you are looking for a family run friendly restaurant in Milan then a must is Ristorante pizzeria One Way della Speranza.
    So good we went back twice.
    Try the linguine with seafood, you won't be disappointed.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was in Milan at the start of September last year, and visited Monza as well as they had some motor races on at the Autodromo - was going to go this year but the NHS have blighted my holiday plans.

There's enough in the city to occupy you for a week I'd say, the Duomo is spectacular and the frescoes in the San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore church have to be seen. There are also loads of galleries covering both renaissance and more modern (c18 and c19) art. Of course if you don't like art that won't be of much interest.

There's also a shop where you can spend 2500 euro on a handbag if so inclined. And a Starbucks, by accident I walked past it on opening day (first Starbucks to open in Italy) and the queue was huge, crowds of people just looking at it and there were journalists with camera crews outside interviewing people coming out!
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    A day trip to Lake Como is a good idea but many people take the train to the town of Como itself which did not wow me, much prefered Varenna which is on a different train line altogether but easy to reach from Milan Centrale.

Second this recommendation. From Varenna you can get the ferry to a couple of places on the lake, the ferries are frequent and easy to use. We went to Bellagio which was lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure