iphone/ios phone advice please?

I know nothing about phones and trying to work out what would be the right one to get. Currently I have my son's old iphone4 which I understand to be ios8. Some of the apps I want tell me I need at least ios10. Iphone 6 seems to be the price range I want but when I look at details this seems to be ios8 too. My limited understanding is that because it is 64 bit it could be updated to ios10? Is that how it works? Buy the phone and then do system/software updates? Is this something simple that even I could manage?
Thanks!
Many thanks to everyone who posts competitions and works so hard to provide all the answers!
Best wins this year so far: £100 Hobbycraft Voucher, £50 cash, GoPro Camera

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The iPhone 6 supports the latest iOS (11) and will also support the upcoming iOS 12.
  • I have the iPhone s e 11.4.1 . , and hopefully support the upcoming 12
    Could be a good idea to buy as much GB when purchasing your new iPhone also.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    DD just bought a refurbished SE unlocked from Giffgaff, now out of stock but they have brand new for £199 that will be future proof for many years and IMO is a bargain.
  • purple45
    purple45 Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone. I bought a new 64GB one from argos clearance on ebay, it is arriving today! Happy with the price and really excited to finally be getting something that will do everything I've been wanting to do!
    Many thanks to everyone who posts competitions and works so hard to provide all the answers!
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Great news OP-is that iPhone SE?

If so I've got one (for work purposes) and am currently trying out iOS 12 on it; have to say there are a few bugs in the system (as expected for beta software) but it's much better than iOS 11!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    iPhone 6 is the same internals as iPhone SE if i recall so both should be equally futureproof
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    20aday wrote: »
    but it's much better than iOS 11!

Interesting .

In what way ?
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    iPhone 6 is the same internals as iPhone SE
    It's closer to a 6s, both have the A9 cpu. The 6 has an A8 cpu.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Seems quicker in terms of launching apps, opening the camera when you swipe right to left on the lock screen. Overall stability more than anything.

Mind I've not used a Android handset in years so in comparison it could be a pile of carp :rotfl:
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • purple45
    purple45 Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its the iphone 6 I bought. Got to wait until tomorrow when I have enough time to switch it on and work my way through the setting up process. Hard to be patient with such an exciting purchase but massive day out cycling today so can't have it all! haha! So far I've just looked at how shiny and lovely it looks and charged it. So stupidly excited! My first real phone purchase! I'm learning to run and just on my last week of couch to 5K, none of the running apps would work on the iphone 4 so this is my treat so that I can play with running apps amongst other things!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport