With gas boilers potentially being banned in new homes from 2025, should we look at alternatives now

We need to replace our boiler ASAP and I'm wondering if it's worth looking at heat/air pumps? They're very expensive on the up front cost but it looks like in the (very) long run the savings make it worthwhile?

I'm a bit concerned about the work involved though, and the physical space it uses. Any thoughts please? Thanks

Comments

• markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    This is the thread you want to read, over in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels

Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1464827
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,140 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Heat pumps work best if you have underfloor heating because you can use water at a lower temperature.
    Reed
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Personally, I would get a gas boiler while they are still readily available. I don't think they are going to ban existing gas boilers for a very long time.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Found a reference to this on another site. https://www.boxergy.com/product

A heat pump that uses stored electricity and heats the water to normal central heating temps, so can be used to replace a gas boiler.

No details on cost, but expect there will be similar heat pumps about and in future.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,991 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have been thinking about this although our boiler hopefully has a few years left. The issue with heat pumps seems to be the requirement for lower temps to acheive sensible efficiency resulting in a requirement to replace all rads and pipework and even then it is unclear whether an average cop of 4 needed to make the cost competitive with gas can actually be achieved.

Gshp has a higher fit and more stable cop but the numbers only seem to work for trench install which we don't have space for even before the cost of a replumb.

Battery/large hot water tank storage of cheap overnight leccy plus individual room ashp might give different numbers again....
    I think....
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    michaels wrote: »
    I have been thinking about this although our boiler hopefully has a few years left. The issue with heat pumps seems to be the requirement for lower temps to acheive sensible efficiency resulting in a requirement to replace all rads and pipework and even then it is unclear whether an average cop of 4 needed to make the cost competitive with gas can actually be achieved.

Gshp has a higher fit and more stable cop but the numbers only seem to work for trench install which we don't have space for even before the cost of a replumb.

Battery/large hot water tank storage of cheap overnight leccy plus individual room ashp might give different numbers again....

You should be able to buy electricity at wholesale rates
    In which case you'd pay about 4-5p average
    And a heat pump would be very viable

A fixed line rental plus wholesale price for each unit makes sense and will allow the country to electrify heating much more rapidly and allow deployment of offshore wind power much more rapidly

Output also at least on a seasonal basis has some correlation
    With offshore wind output 50% higher during the cold months than the warm months

The fixed line rental can be based on the property EPC rating but would be about £30 on average
    With lower efficiency properties paying higher lone rental and more efficient less line rental
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It depends, the price of GSHP and to a lesser degree ASHP will fall given time (R&D) and as a result of increased market penetration. There was talk about purpose built drilling systems that hit a better value for money point on bored systems.

On the other hand the RHI won't last forever and if you can qualify for it then it makes a huge difference to payback times.

If you've got cash laying about then I'd say yes do it now. But if you're trying to retrofit into an older property it's an epic job. I've got it pencilled in for 2021 or 2022.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    michaels wrote: »

Apologies for pedantry, but in the UK, ASHP's (air to water) average a COP of 2.9, but, I'd suggest that that is close to 4x when you take gas boiler efficiencies into account.

But, cheap rate leccy, and at least some PV leccy will improve the figures further, so a straight day rate v's gas isn't wholly the best comparison.

The idea here looks interesting, but I assume the heat battery part is effectively running at a COP of about 1, which raises the question, why not run the ASHP longer/harder with lower rad temps and benefit from the COP advantage? I assume the answer is simply that this is a compromise solution for those (myself included) where more work would be needed for a normal ASHP.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,991 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So I am trying to do the maths.

Let us exclude purchase and install cost for now (assume it will be covered by RHI) for the sake of simplicity.

WE currently use 32000 kwh of gas a year.
    Looking at monthly usage I am guessing about 1000kwh per month for hot water and up to 4000kwh for heating in the coldest months. I straight divide gives daily usage of 133kwh or 5.5kwh per hour but of course individual days might be even colder so we might need constant heat output of 8kwh per hour on the coldest days.

I don't know how efficient our boiler is - in theory it is condensing and modulating so will mostly run at its most efficient. It can output between 5kw and 19kw, the heating curve has a return water temp for heating of 30C when the outside temp is 10 degrees up to 70C when it is minus 10.

First issue is therefore obvious - heat pumps are not efficient with water temps of 45 degrees (?) suggesting that our heat emitters (radiators) are not sufficient for the water temp. We could obviously upsize to improve heat output at lower water temps (change doubles to triples etc) but it is still unclear if this would be sufficient and then there is still the question of circulation - I know a fair bit of the upstairs is only 15mm pipe not 22mm.

Our hot water tank is 190l which we heat to 60 degrees. In an hour in the morning we typically run off one bath and 5 showers - say 4-500l? If the incoming water temperature is 15 degrees that means we drain the whole tank and also use a fair bit of the boiler output to achieve this. (approx 12kwh stored in the tank plus 5kwh from the boiler to provide 17kwh worth of hot water from 15 degrees to 40 degrees).

If the boiler is cooler (to max heat pump efficiency) then obviously we would need to provide more of the heat 'on the go'. There is also the question of legionella if the water tank is not at least 60C once a day.

So it looks like we might need either a bigger hot water cylinder or heat pump output of at least 19kw as we have now with the gas. At a COP of 1 (coldest days or direct electric back up) this is 80A which might be a problem with a 100A supply and other use.

Putting all this heat demand together means we might need a heat pump system able to output at least 12-15 kwh per hour however cold it is outside.

WE pay about 3p per kwh for electricity and 12p per kwh for gas. The big question is then what are the relative efficiencies. For heat pumps this info seems pretty thin on the ground for either ashp or both types of gshp. it is also unclear what the losses are for gas hot water and heating.

Is COP 3 for ashp, 3.5 for ground trench and 4 for ground vertical loop reasonable? How about for the efficient gas boiler - 90%?
    32000 x 90% = 28,800 output demand
    32,000 x 3p = £960
    28,800/3 (COP) = 9,600 x 12p = £1152
    28,800/3.5 (COP) = 8,230 x 12p = £990
    28,800/4 (COP) = 7,200 x 12p = £864

Given the amount of energy involved there seems to be very little scope for time shifting demand to off peak electricity rates using battery storage. Even storing the hot water heat in a large hot water cylinder seems to have limited scope due to the lower temperatures for high efficiency.

So the only thing that seems to make sense might be a vertical loop gshp, problem with this is the install cost, high 20k plus whatever is needed to make the radiators work and address the legionella issue with an RHI that seems to be at most 20k over 7 years.
    I think....
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    To get rid of the legionella issue, go for a 500l heat store instead, so the water is never stagnant, it just flows through the coil, the "dirty water" is heated instead, and transfers heat to the potable water through the coil.

That's what I'll be going for.
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business