IPA question

I was declared bankrupt in April this year and did not have to pay an IPA. As I am not currently working the OR didn't ask any questions about my household bills/partners wage, she said there was no point as I have no personal income so its irrelevant.

I would like to start looking for work again but I'm worried about being lumbered with an IPA for 3 years. I'm only looking at part time hours; my partner also has debts and we need that extra wage to clear them as quickly as possible.

On part time hours my monthly wage would be about a 1/4 of my partners, does this mean that for IPA purposes I would only be expected to cover 25% of the bills, or would they split the household expenses 50:50? So, for instance, my rent is 650 per month - would they allow 325 from my wage (therefore lessening a potential IPA) or would they expect my partner to contribute more to the rent due to his higher wage?

One last question (sorry :o) - if after all the calculations the OR decides I still do not have to pay an IPA, assuming nothing changes, am I free to earn whatever I want after the 12 months are up, or could I be hit with an IPA after the years up?

Comments

• debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

The OR will take in to account of the different wage ratio and therefore make sure that a partner pays a fair proportion of the household bills.

An IPA can only start whilst you are an undischarged bankrupt - but once it starts it will run for 3 years at any appropriate amount (including nil in the background)

Once you are discharged AND no IPA is in place, then you can never get one and are free to earn what you like.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure