Share your stories on PPI Reclaiming claims handlers

Options

Comments

• Champions54
    Options
    I am a NEWBIE and just had to come on and share this with you all.

I have watched Martin on TV and visited the Site a few times. I knew I had taken out PPI years ago on a loan (I couldn't remember how much the loan was for, or what year it was. However decided I would complete the online form with my bank (RBS) what did I have to lose. Whilst completing the form I filled most of the boxes with 'unsure' That was six weeks ago. Last week I got a letter offering me £709.25, PPI was £325.72 the rest was made up of interest and good will gesture. I thought that will do me. Then this week I get a further 8 letters - the total offered amounts to £9,665.00. The bank explains that this was for PPI on a 'chain' of loans. I am Happy but shocked, I never knew I had PPI on these loans !! Today I received 5 further letters from my bank quoting Loan numbers but explaining that they can find no paper work going back to 1992, 93, 95 and 96 on these loans, therefore cannot help me. What a surprise - so please everyone you must complete the forms and apply - I can now put new central heating in my flat woopee!!!
  • shaz-deco
    shaz-deco Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Over a year ago I received a phone call regarding mis-sold PPI for my mortgage, after being passed through various legal teams who were "looking into if I had a claim and how much I could expect to receive" I was dazed with the grand figure of over £10k, they then proceeded to tell me that due to many people receiving settlement figures direct resulting in them not being paid for their time so now request £300 up front to investigate and ensure there was a claim, no win no fee, i thought it seemed fair enough.

A couple of weeks later a phone call to say they have confirmed there is a claim so require the fee based on the amount they think I will get (as you can imagine based on over £10k this was a hefty figure). I explained I could not afford this kind of money so would no longer like to pursue to which I was told it would not be possible to get the £300 refunded and the claim would be sorted in a couple of months so would only result in a couple of months interest. Not wanting to waste the £300 I fell for it hook line and sinker - what a mistake.

So now over a year later I am faced with the reality that HSBC have defended their position saying their isn't a claim, I am no longer sure there is so no point in court proceedings I feel. When I have chased they have said "there is a form we need you to sign which they duly send out. Trouble is now tre repeats of forms filled out when we first began looking into things.

How the heck do I get my money back. My husband does not think I will, they will likely go out of business before we get anywhere with trying. If only all of the advice on doing it yourself had been there at the time, it is everywhere now and would have been the way I went about it.

The name of the company - We Fight Any Claim.

I am considering what to do next.:(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    shaz-deco wrote: »
    How the heck do I get my money back.
    I truly fear you never will.:mad:
    Thanks for sharing here, though, at least it's a warning to others.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    shaz-deco wrote: »
    Over a year ago I received a phone call regarding mis-sold PPI for my mortgage, after being passed through various legal teams who were "looking into if I had a claim and how much I could expect to receive" I was dazed with the grand figure of over £10k, they then proceeded to tell me that due to many people receiving settlement figures direct resulting in them not being paid for their time so now request £300 up front to investigate and ensure there was a claim, no win no fee, i thought it seemed fair enough.

A couple of weeks later a phone call to say they have confirmed there is a claim so require the fee based on the amount they think I will get (as you can imagine based on over £10k this was a hefty figure). I explained I could not afford this kind of money so would no longer like to pursue to which I was told it would not be possible to get the £300 refunded and the claim would be sorted in a couple of months so would only result in a couple of months interest. Not wanting to waste the £300 I fell for it hook line and sinker - what a mistake.

So now over a year later I am faced with the reality that HSBC have defended their position saying their isn't a claim, I am no longer sure there is so no point in court proceedings I feel. When I have chased they have said "there is a form we need you to sign which they duly send out. Trouble is now tre repeats of forms filled out when we first began looking into things.

How the heck do I get my money back. My husband does not think I will, they will likely go out of business before we get anywhere with trying. If only all of the advice on doing it yourself had been there at the time, it is everywhere now and would have been the way I went about it.

The name of the company - We Fight Any Claim.

I am considering what to do next.:(

Read this thread especially post 9.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3639125&highlight=we+fight+any+claim
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is some time since I wrote that post but it still applies - so click on the link and run with it.
  • tyneside_Eagle
    Options
    With all the publicity about Store Card PPI misselling I decided to look into a Debenhams Store Card I had from the 1970s till I paid it off in 2008. Originally it was with Debenhams Cardholder Services, then taken over by GE Money and now by Santander. On digging out an old 2008 Statement it states in the Insurance Information section that PPI payments will be made for me.

Bearing in mind I probably used the card regularly over abot 20 years is it worth me trying to pursue Santander now even though it was previously administered by other companies before they took it over. Any advise appreciated
  • moribundle
    Options
    I have been lucky enough to have a £7000 settlement offer which I will accept for 10 loans between the late 90's and 2005. However, £3,200 of this is the statutory interest at 8%. Does anyone know how the tax man is going to work out how much I owe them? I am just into the 40% tax range this year, but when I had the loans I was always in the lower tax bracket? Do they have records of this, or will I have to pay 40% of the £3200?
  • Eastlands70
    Eastlands70 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I am a NEWBIE and just had to come on and share this with you all.

I have watched Martin on TV and visited the Site a few times. I knew I had taken out PPI years ago on a loan (I couldn't remember how much the loan was for, or what year it was. However decided I would complete the online form with my bank (RBS) what did I have to lose. Whilst completing the form I filled most of the boxes with 'unsure' That was six weeks ago. Last week I got a letter offering me £709.25, PPI was £325.72 the rest was made up of interest and good will gesture. I thought that will do me. Then this week I get a further 8 letters - the total offered amounts to £9,665.00. The bank explains that this was for PPI on a 'chain' of loans. I am Happy but shocked, I never knew I had PPI on these loans !! Today I received 5 further letters from my bank quoting Loan numbers but explaining that they can find no paper work going back to 1992, 93, 95 and 96 on these loans, therefore cannot help me. What a surprise - so please everyone you must complete the forms and apply - I can now put new central heating in my flat woopee!!!

I'm about to send a SAR letter to RBS. I had 6 loans taken out with them between late 1994 and Spring 2000 which I suspect had PPI front-loaded on all (can't say for sure but the pattern seems to be that back then most banks just whacked it on as a matter of course without discussing it with the customer in any great detail or worse still, not at all - my memory is good but I can't recall any conversation regarding PPI with any of the people that dealt with my 6 loan applications) so that doesn't bode well for me in terms of retrieving paperwork for the earlier loans at least. However, if they do come up with something then I'll post it on here. On the flip side, well done for your other successful claims plus with you saying that you answered "unsure" on some of the sections it gives hope to those of us that can't remember everything about every loan or credit card application we made in the distant past.
  • goonlecker
    Options
    My wife arranged for a CMC to visit her in march this year re: claiming back PPI. My wife however didn't tell me about this until after she signed up with them. After I calmed down she said it was only for her own claims on credit cards. In the past however we have had joint loans with Black Horse & First Plus. Having read such good things on this site I decided to make claims for Mis-sold PPI on both of these loans myself, both of which we are still awaiting replies for. In the meantime the CMC keep phoning my wife about these two loans asking her where we are up to with them. First of all my wife said she is not sure if she mentioned these two joint loans to the man from the CMC? but they seem to know about them. Secondly I haven't signed anything with them and certainly would not. Shall I tell the CMC to get lost or do they have a claim on these two loans as my wife has signed a contract with them?. or can they claim on her half of the loans rebate if they are upheld?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    goonlecker wrote: »
    can they claim on her half of the loans <redress> if they are upheld?
    The answer is yes, unfortunately.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure