Share your stories on PPI Reclaiming claims handlers

Comments

• pop_gun wrote: »
    And how would you know this with any certainty?
    He wouldn't, any more than you can state the opposite with certainty.

However, the number of complaints which the Ombudsman upholds indicates to me at least that FOS are not in the thrall of Banks.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    pop_gun wrote: »
    Your replies are beginning to take on the familiar taint of propaganda.

You said he who pays the piper calls the tune. I infer from this you mean because the banks pay the FOS, then it's their tune that's playing. My answer was that they quite obviously aren't playing the same tune otherwise they wouldn't uphold peoples complaints, no matter if they were correct or incorrect in their position of misselling.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • pop_gun
    pop_gun Posts: 371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    -taff wrote: »
    You said he who pays the piper calls the tune. I infer from this you mean because the banks pay the FOS, then it's their tune that's playing. My answer was that they quite obviously aren't playing the same tune otherwise they wouldn't uphold peoples complaints, no matter if they were correct or incorrect in their position of misselling.

The FOS wouldn't uphold the claims of misselling if the high court hadn't ruled against the British bankers association. The FSA only brought the case to court because nearly a million people brought compliants about PPI.
    To suggest the FOS would uphold PPI without the court ruling or the complaints that initiated it, is risible at best.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    To suggest the FOS would uphold PPI without the court ruling or the complaints that initiated it, is risible at best.

I didn't suggest anything. I replied to the post where I repeat, you said 'whoever pays the piper calls the tune'.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
    The FOS wouldn't uphold the claims of misselling if the high court hadn't ruled against the British bankers association.

That is true - if the BBA had won FOS would not have had jurisdiction over the complaints the judicial review related to.
    The FSA only brought the case to court because nearly a million people brought compliants about PPI.

The FSA did not bring the case to court, the banks did.

This argument supposes the FSA took the banks to court rather than the other way round - as actually happened.
  • pop_gun
    That is true - if the BBA had won FOS would not have had jurisdiction over the complaints the judicial review related to.

The FSA did not bring the case to court, the banks did.

This argument supposes the FSA took the banks to court rather than the other way round - as actually happened.

The banks did start a judicial review, but this doesn't negate the premise of what I was saying; and that is without the public outcry the FSA would not have changed/enforced regulations concerning PPI selling. Which in turn led to the banks asking for a judicial review.

I like how you try to turn a mis-step into a marathon.
    The banks did start a judicial review, but this doesn't negate the premise of what I was saying; and that is without the public outcry the FSA would not have changed/enforced regulations concerning PPI selling. Which in turn led to the banks asking for a judicial review.

Again untrue.

FOS already had jurisdiction over the banks because they submitted to it when it took over from the Banking Ombudsman in 2001.

It was already upholding complaints. The banks therefore argued that standards should not be applied retrospectively.
    I like how you try to turn a mis-step into a marathon.
    I am merely pointing out that your assertions are incorrect - and why.

On that point:
    Whoever pays the piper calls the tune.

Only if they pay voluntarily. I pay my taxes - that includes the cost of the Police.

Whilst I have suppose I do have some influence in that I can vote for a new Commissioner this week, I doubt that I will get very far telling the local bobby he can't arrest me because I pay his salary through my Council tax.

The levies paid by firms to the FSA and FOS (and the FSCS for that matter) are compulsory. So there is no scope for financial services firms to attempt corruption of the type you infer.

Anybody who did would quickly find it led to career limiting consequences.
  • pop_gun
    edited 11 November 2012 at 10:18PM
    Again untrue.

FOS already had jurisdiction over the banks because they submitted to it when it took over from the Banking Ombudsman in 2001.

It was already upholding complaints. The banks therefore argued that standards should not be applied retrospectively.

I am merely pointing out that your assertions are incorrect - and why.

On that point:

Only if they pay voluntarily. I pay my taxes - that includes the cost of the Police.

Whilst I have suppose I do have some influence in that I can vote for a new Commissioner this week, I doubt that I will get very far telling the local bobby he can't arrest me because I pay his salary through my Council tax.

The levies paid by firms to the FSA and FOS (and the FSCS for that matter) are compulsory. So there is no scope for financial services firms to attempt corruption of the type you infer.

Anybody who did would quickly find it led to career limiting consequences.

What you're essentially saying is that the banking ombudsman wasn't doing it's job (otherwise there would be no need for retrospective action) but when the FSA and the financial ombudsman service arrived on the scene they did. So in other words the FOS which started out in 2001 and FSA decided to enforce the law. I say this because the misselling of PPI is in breach of several legislative pieces of law; most notably the unfair contract terms act 1977 and the misrepresentation act 1967.

You seem a little naive where influence of the well connected are concerned. Please read the following link and tell me do you think a member of the public in similar circumstances would have been treated in the same manner?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254134/Tanned-relaxed-earning-big-bucks--judge-far-stressed-face-trial.html
  • In March 2012, the Halifax paid me back £10,843.00 for PPI on a Credit Card.(This was the total figure)

I then challenged HFC bank regarding PPI on a loan and they investigated and just under £3k was paid into my account this week.

Also I challenged Royal Bank of Scotland about PPI and they paid me by cheque which has cleared just over £3K this week.

I have questioned whether PPI was put on a RBS Credit Card marketed to me at a meeting when the consolidation loan was paid out>

The last 6 years have been hard but I have come through it through a debt management company (CCCS) , but would like to thank also your website for making me realise that I was not alone and this gives confidence to get the money back that I should not have paid out in the first place.
    What you're essentially saying is that the banking ombudsman wasn't doing it's job (otherwise there would be no need for retrospective action) but when the FSA and the financial ombudsman service arrived on the scene they did.

I am saying nothing of the sort.

If what you say is true then those who chose to use the courts instead of FOS would have won - but in fact the opposite is true.

So in other words the FOS which started out in 2001 and FSA decided to enforce the law.
    No it didn't. FOS instead decided that it would instead do what it thought was "fair and reasonable in the circumstances" - which the last Chief Ombudsman boasted was "unashamedly making new Law" - and applying it retrospectively.
    I say this because the misselling of PPI is in breach of several legislative pieces of law; most notably the unfair contract terms act 1977 and the misrepresentation act 1967.
    And as I say, if that were true, the courts would have found in favour of complainants but did not.
    You seem a little naive where influence of the well connected are concerned. Please read the following link and tell me do you think a member of the public in similar circumstances would have been treated in the same manner?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254134/Tanned-relaxed-earning-big-bucks--judge-far-stressed-face-trial.html

I think I am sufficiently streetwise to spot a conspiracy theorist when I see one.

And you still have not explained why you think the principle that he who asserts must prove is wrong.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback