Is this a polite rejection

Comments

• Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2018 at 12:45AM
    2018d wrote: »
    Let me get this straight.....You're a trader at Deutsche Bank, working 12 hour days and recruiting, and your Oxbridge educated self manages to find all this time on this forum to help unemployed old me?????

Seriously, you are embarrassing yourself now, stop.

The title of the article itself clearly states he is the managing director
    What it takes to work in debt capital markets, by a Deutsche Bank managing director

Are you now saying you are an Oxbridge Graduate, investment bank recruiter, investment bank trader, AND a managing director and you have all this.free time to spend on this thread?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I feel like I've stepped into the Twilight Zone....

The gist of your very first post was about an email sent to an employer, and asking for advice on it.

You finished the post by saying:
    Im looking for experienced opinions so that I can get some sense of this or closure and move on.

6 pages/3days/110 posts later you reply with this most recent post...

You also seem to attack someone who purports to be in a position of vast experience despite the quoted bit immediately above? "I'm looking for experienced opinions"

I just don't get why you are carrying on with the thread to be honest.. And that's from a NEUTRAL perspective, because ultimately I only came on to consider your initial query. In regards to that, I mirror the users who effectively sugest that you should let sleeping dogs lie and move on to contacting another company and refraining from conatcing this company again, unless an official job opening is posted.

A simple solution to a simple problem. Quite why you are posting after the aforementioned timeframes is beyond me!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, the reason is in the email. There is no position at the moment (seeing that I cold called them out the blue), when there is a position he will be in touch. He said this twice, so I really shouldn't have any reason to doubt it.

So there is the reason for you.

No, he really won't. You just don't get it, do you? Steve's email is in no way ambiguous. I just wish he would read this thread though I think he already has your number.

Why don't you fill your time by doing yet another degree, obviously at a Russell Group establishment? I am sure you can find another subject of even less use than PR. How about media studies?
  • JamesO
    JamesO Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Public relations (PR) means managing the image an organisation portrays to its customers and the public.

https://university.which.co.uk/subjects/public-relations

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_investment_banks

Here is a comprehensive list of Investment banks. Look up their processes on their websites.

I cannot reason with people who have no understanding. You can call me arrogant now, I call a lot of people here ignorant.

It is my fault, I should have listened to my gut and realised that the response of the email was not an outright rejection, rather potential that in the future there could be a possibility. And this is just a waiting game now, I let my anxiety get the better of me and set up for small minded predators.

Good luck and good bye

I suspect potential models who have spent years studying law to then retrain would not understand the irony.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Steve doesn't want the OP working at his firm because he knows that within three weeks she and her colossal superbrain would have taken his job.

If Steve was in any doubt, it would have been killed off when his wife took one look at the supermodel he was considering for hire and said "absolutely not".

End of story.
  • catflap11
    catflap11 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is honestly one of the funniest things I have read in a while!
  • catflap11 wrote: »
    This is honestly one of the funniest things I have read in a while!

Did you miss the OP who was "too clever" for their job, and their manager agreed?!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, the reason is in the email. There is no position at the moment (seeing that I cold called them out the blue), when there is a position he will be in touch. He said this twice, so I really shouldn't have any reason to doubt it.

So why the thread?
  • Smodlet wrote: »
    No, he really won't. You just don't get it, do you? Steve's email is in no way ambiguous. I just wish he would read this thread though I think he already has your number.

Why don't you fill your time by doing yet another degree, obviously at a Russell Group establishment? I am sure you can find another subject of even less use than PR. How about media studies?

I actually think that there is a place for media studies as an academic discipline. I'm sure that you (like me and many other posters here) are well aware of the bias represented in many media outlets. Anything that helps consumers of the media to understand that bias must be a good thing - so long as it's academically rigorous and unbiased itself!

I'm constantly amazed at the extent to which younger relatives uncritically accept everything they read and hear (usually in their own bubble or echo chamber).

I agree with you about PR, though. I can imagine someone being trained to work in PR, but I can't understand how they could be educated to do so. A masters degree in PR must be totally useless. As perhaps the OP has inadvertently demonstrated...

PS - not having a go at you Smodlet - I just think a degree in media studies could be a useful education.
  • pmduk wrote: »
    So why the thread?

I hope that's a rhetorical question - otherwise we could be here for another six pages!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure