Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Comments

• CK1223
    CK1223 Posts: 531
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone

Does anyone know the current waiting times for Stepchange? I submitted my documents to them on the 31st of October and haven't heard anything back from them yet.

I'm just getting a bit worried now as I've had a letter from one of my credit card companies today stating that they're removing my promotional rate which will mean an extra £75 a month interest. With a £38 a month deficit each month already I'm starting to panic 😔

Thank you
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,715
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Running st around a months waiting time @t the moment.

Just have to be patient.

Debt collection can take years, remember nothing happens quickly, no need to panic.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hi
    Can I move and stay abroad while DRO is already granted for 8 months..

Or can I go for like 3 months holiday without letting OR know?

Thanks
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Woody667 wrote: »
    Hi
    Can I move and stay abroad while DRO is already granted for 8 months..

Or can I go for like 3 months holiday without letting OR know?

Thanks

As long as that's not a permanent move, and you have some way of accessing a letter should they send one, I wouldn't think they need to know.

If you are giving uo your UK address then they need a new one for you.
  • Thanks Fatbelly
    Very helpfull info..

What about if I'll stay in other country for like 6 months...?
    As im in DRO for 8 months, and it will end as I'm away ...?

So, before I leave UK, should I just let OR know that I'll change a correspondence address?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,715
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Thanks Fatbelly
    Very helpfull info..

What about if I'll stay in other country for like 6 months...?
    As im in DRO for 8 months, and it will end as I'm away ...?

So, before I leave UK, should I just let OR know that I'll change a correspondence address?

There are no restrictions on your movements at all, unless you move abroad permanently.

You don't need to tell them anything, and its unlikely they will write to you again, just get your post re-directed, simple.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • What about if this will be a permanent move abroad? 4 month before DRO ends.. without taking any jobs in other country...?
    As I need look after a family member, so is not gonna be a payable job.. volunteer in other words

Will I still have to know OR...?
    Or if I'm not going to be employed, shouldn't say anything..
    Thanks
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 22 November 2017 at 11:04PM
    What about if this will be a permanent move abroad? 4 month before DRO ends.. without taking any jobs in other country...?
    As I need look after a family member, so is not gonna be a payable job.. volunteer in other words

Will I still have to know OR...?
    Or if I'm not going to be employed, shouldn't say anything..
    Thanks

Yes, tell them. They need your address in case they have to write. It's not that they will revoke it if you don't but you have a duty to be honest with them during the moratorium period, and why would you not want to be? If you're no longer at the old address then tell them your new address.
  • Ok, so I understand that if I dont tell them about my move, they will cancel it or revoke it(DRO)straight away...? Even if I'll get my post redirected?, or they will give a notice for me to explain this situation?
    Thanks
  • CK1223
    CK1223 Posts: 531
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    Amy13 wrote: »
    Here's my recent timeline -

3rd October - Step Change received my paperwork
    13th October - I phoned Step Change for update and had telephone interview
    1st November - Step Change phoned me to discuss draft application
    3rd November - I received draft application and barcode
    6th November - I paid barcode
    7th November - I phoned Step Change to confirm I had paid barcode and gave my up to date balances and discussed the final application. Application was submitted to Insolvency Service.
    9th November - DRO was accepted
    10th November - My details now on the Insolvency Register
    11th November - Received DRO paperwork from the Insolvency Service

Thank you for getting back to me Amy. It seems that the waiting times have increased majorly since you put in your application :-( I have just rang Stepchange as it's been a month since I put my application in. They've told me that someone has now looked at my application but it will be a further four weeks until the draft application is written up. I guess it's just a waiting game now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback