Taking time of work due to repair's

Hi, i have had to take time of work so that i can get the repairs people to repair problems in my household. I had an appointment and waited in all day for the council to arive at my property but they never did.

It states on the options when trying to ring them, that if i am not in my property at the time when the people come to repair the house then i could be charged £40 each time.

I think this is another ploy to getting money out of people. But i think it is highly unfair as i had to take time of work for the people to repair my household but they never shown up on the day that they where ment to come to my property. This happened twice. Is there anyway that i would be able to claim compensation on taking time of work for failed appointment by the Birmingham City Council?

Kind Regards
Andrew

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well, have yu asked them why they didnt turn up

Did you take a days holiday to be at home.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • AFAIK you can send them the bill for the 2nd missed appointment.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    andyandy09 wrote: »
    Hi, i have had to take time of work so that i can get the repairs people to repair problems in my household. I had an appointment and waited in all day for the council to arive at my property but they never did.

It states on the options when trying to ring them, that if i am not in my property at the time when the people come to repair the house then i could be charged £40 each time.

I think this is another ploy to getting money out of people. But i think it is highly unfair as i had to take time of work for the people to repair my household but they never shown up on the day that they where ment to come to my property. This happened twice. Is there anyway that i would be able to claim compensation on taking time of work for failed appointment by the Birmingham City Council?

Kind Regards
    Andrew

Hello
    Your question does not relate to Housing Benefit which is the theme of this strand. As general advice, you need to check whether there is a specific clause in your tenancy agreement or the t/c's which would give you a right to claim and how and for how much.
    If not, you can send a bill for your costs and see if you get a response. If not, then you would have the right to take the council to the small claims court. You should consider very carefully, though, whether getting into a legal dispute with your landlord would be in your best interests.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure