PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Comments

• icontinuetodream
    icontinuetodream Posts: 992 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 December 2012 at 8:46PM
    Right, starting this challenge again in earnest now!! :D
    I finally have some cupboards going up in my kitchen and have joined challenges which mean that I have to do my utmost to minimise my food shopping spends....so with that in mind, I have checked my dry food stocks in my spare room and done an inventory (although I am sure I am missing a box!! Must locate it asap :o)

So, I am going to post my inventory.....other than fresh fruit, veg, milk and bread, I am not adding to this.....I have numerous dried herbs, spices, sauces, oils and vinegars which I have not listed below as I just can't bring myself to catalogue them tonight!!:rotfl:

Here goes:

Pasta, Rice &Grains
    3 pks tomato & onion pasta spirals
    ½ sack basmati rice
    ½ sack porridge oats
    ½ short grain brown rice
    ¾ pk pearl barley
    1 kg quinoa
    5kg polenta
    3 pks brown noodles
    5 pks wholewheat pasta
    200g wild rice

Dried Pulses &Veg In 4.6l boxes:
    1 chickpeas
    ¾ red kidney
    ½ red lentils
    ½ cannellini
    ½ puy lentils
    1/8 black turtle beans
    1 pk dried nori
    1 pk kombu
    2 jars dehydrated beetroot
    1/5 jar sundried tomatoes
    4 nori sheets

Tins, Jars &Packets
    3 pks sosmix
    1k tvp mince
    [STRIKE]12 corn tortillas[/STRIKE]
    1 fajita kit
    1 jar vine leaves
    ½ jar pickled onions
    ½ bottle lemon juice
    1 large bottle hm chutney
    3 tins sweetcorn
    1 tin butter beans
    1 tin grapefruit segments
    2 jars pickled beetroot
    1 tin bamboo shoots
    1 tin new potatoes
    1 tin tomato soup
    2 tins sliced carrots
    1 tin water chestnuts
    1 jar tomato & roasted garlic sauce
    1 tin curry beans
    1 bottle date syrup
    8 tins tomatoes
    1 jar peanut butter
    [STRIKE]1 tin kidney beans[/STRIKE]
    1 tin coconut milk

Dried fruit, nuts& seeds
    raisins
    flax seeds
    pumpkin seeds
    sunflower seeds
    figs
    apricots
    currants
    cranberries
    dates
    hemp seeds
    papaya
    brazil nuts
    almonds

Sorry about the formatting - did the list on another program and can't change it!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Anyhoo....let the interesting meals begin!! I will do a freezer inventory tomorrow and see if I can find that other box too....:D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • icontinuetodream
    icontinuetodream Posts: 992 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 December 2012 at 8:44PM
    Well, managed to locate another box in the spare room which has another 4 tins of tomatoes and a tin of coconut milk along with several tubes of tomato puree :j However, still can't locate the one with my pasta flour in it and I know that I have it somewhere! :o.... I will check again tomorrow when I have someone to help me move the boxes around ;)

Tonight I made chilli, rice and wraps (dd won't eat it without wraps and she puts redcurrant jelly and mayonnaise in them!!)....so, 1 tin kidney beans, 1 tin tomatoes, 1 carrot, 1 onion, 1 packet of fajita mix (couldn't find my chipotle chillis but I know they are around somewhere too!!) and a half packet of vegan mince from the freezer :D Happy people and not one thing needed that isn't in the house already!!:j:j:j

So, day one of the challenge done....

will make some museli and granola tomorrow while the plasterers are doing the front room which will keep us going for breakfast for several weeks - well, the granola seems to get eaten very quickly so I won't have that for long :D

Not sure what to make for dinner tomorrow, but there is half a cauliflower in my fridge so I may have to think of something to do with that..:think:

ETA - I will strike through the stock I use as I go along.....see previous post!!
  • didn't make anything yesterday so the family fended for itself from the storecupboard!!!

However, dinner tonight is a big fat pan of loveliness :D

1 chopped onion, 3 chopped carrots, 4 chopped cloves of garlic all sweated off with a sprig of rosemary and some thyme (both from the garden).....added a handful of puy lentils, handful of pearl barley and handful of tvp mince.....pint or so of vegan stock with a big spoonful of marmite in it and cooked for about half an hour....added the remainder of the cauliflower from the fridge cut into florets and cooked for a further 15 mins.....will serve with dumplings (found a packet while looking for the marmite!!) to keep dd happy!!:D

Just what is needed when the weather is the way it is tonight :eek:
  • I would love to have a well stocked store cupboard like yours!:T
  • I would love to have a well stocked store cupboard like yours!:T
    Acquired through over-buying for too long!! :rotfl: My household size has gone down by a third over the last ten months and I still can't get out of the habit of buying as if it were still the same :oHowever, it will help with all the other stuff I want to do over the next twelve months as long as I stick to the challenge!! ;)
  • Hi icontinuetodream,

We are a practically vegan household (1 vegan, 3 who are vegan except for cheddar cheese)

We aspire to having store cupboards so well stocked that we only needing to buy soya milk, fresh fruit and veg weekly too.

We do quite well, but I know if we meal planned we could do much better.

Good luck!
    • Mortgage over-payments to date: = £16,746
    • Original redemption date: August 2043
    • Current redemption date: July 2041
    • Debt: £15,930
    • Savings: £12,430
  • haven't been on for a couple of days as have not felt great and the tribe have fended for themselves :o however, last night we had.....
    roasted red peppers - (split the peppers, sprinkled with a sliced onion, chopped garlic, torn basil and olive oil)
    roasted tomatoes - (half the tomatoes, some chopped garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper, torn basil)
    some savoury rice (chopped onion & carrot sweated off with some dried italian herbs, add soaked and drained basmati rice, cook for a couple of minutes, top up with stock and cook - add a handful of cooked chickpeas 5 mins before end)
    and a salad :D

nomnomnom!!!;)
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your meals sound lovely :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • Your meals sound lovely :)

Thank you :D
  • applepad
    applepad Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Found this thread and its so interesting.

I am going to start a health plan 'Over coming Multiple Sclerosis' it's a vegan diet but oily fish is allowed but its also very low sat fat.

So need to get my head round what I need to have in my store cupboard.

Also been looking at labels like never before, Lidl looks like a good place to buy dried fruit and nuts.

Sure I will make some mistakes along the way, but need to sort my diet out for the sake of my health and must say that I am looking forward to the challenge.

My family will continue to eat meat, but will make sure we all eat the same meal a couple of times a week.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback