ERUDIO student loans help

Options

Comments

• persephone49
    Options
    HI i have just tried the number they give its ok from my line, you could try the alternative one given by Paul Lewis not sure if i am allowed by the rules to give it out but if you go and look at his tweets you will see it.

I agree though total shambles and they seem to have no co-ordination what so ever, i await the NUS replies with interest.
  • Returnee
    Returnee Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What irritates me is that I have paid my ICR loan since I got it without fail, even when overseas. I've not tried to shirk my duty to repay it I have always deferred by MS loan, but genuinely for the first time I'm looking at this and thinking, 'what does it matter now if I bump them? I'm miles away and will be for the forseable future',
  • ripozzy
    Options
    HI i have just tried the number they give its ok from my line, you could try the alternative one given by Paul Lewis not sure if i am allowed by the rules to give it out but if you go and look at his tweets you will see it.

found it, thanks for the help
  • persephone49
    Options
    No Worries, i resent having to pay over the odds for phone calls too, and only to be put on hold while they try and think of yet another response to a 'difficult' question, have you looked at the mumsnet thread also, lots of people on there for support etc.
  • diddly-dee
    diddly-dee Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2014 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Well to determine what's happened to my deferment applications (sent twice) in respect of two pre-98 loans, i today phoned SLC... What a shambles.

After explicitly telling the first person i spoke to (Rachael) that I wanted to know if they had received any of my deferment applications, she transferred me to someone in repayments?!?! This person (Kay) very pleasant but clearly clueless as to what was going on. She said that my loans had been sold to Erudio, I explained that they'd already been sold a number of years ago; hence why Thesis Servicing had been administering my loans for a number of years. She stated that SLC had a number of 'umbrella companies' such as Thesis Servicing and that's why in previous years I had received correspondence from Thesis Servicing (is this correct? surely not), but now my loans had been sold to Erudio. I then asked why I had received a letter from Thesis Servicing on saturday this week - telling me that, as I had not deferred, my payments would be £xx. She said she couldn't explain that, but SLC were going through a period of transferring 'all the loans' to Erudio and that's 'all she could think of', she also could not explain why I'd not received any notification that my loans had been sold to Erudio but they "certainly" had. She was at least honest enough to admit that it was "a bit of a shambles" and "nobody [at SLC] really knew what was going on" In the end, I gave up with her.

Left it a few minutes and phoned again, after a number of transfers I ended up speaking to a chap called 'Michael', who whilst admitting "he wasn't an 'expert' in the old mortgage-style loans" was at least able to confirm my loans had been sold in 1998, and SLC did the admin' for Thesis Servicing, the owners of the loans. Alas, there was no system record of the two sets of payslips/deferment forms I had sent to them, so I sent them again today. Recorded delivery.

Anyway, the point of this post (apologies, I'll get there in the end), as well as venting a bit of frustrated spleen, is to highlight that SLC staff have quite a few gaps in their knowledge re: pre-98 loans and they are clearly giving out duff/inconsistent/contradictory information regarding what loans have been sold, and which haven't. It seems that some SLC staff have been briefed that ALL pre-98 loans have been flogged off to Erudio - which, if it were true, would represent an all too rare masterstroke on the part of the Gvt, if they're able to sell off again something they've already sold several years before. Moreover, it seems that irrespective of what phone number you use to call SLC (general enquiries, deferment section, etc.) you just get through to the same section anyway - and then, if you're lucky, filtered off to someone who might have a modicum of knowledge. Disappointingly, whilst having read these threads I am pleased that I'm not having to deal with erudio as they seem a disgrace, I fear that (after the Erudio sell-off of last year) there's likely to be a much reduced number of pre-98 loans now being administered by the SLC and, consequently, this absence of knowledge/understanding of the pre-98 loans by the SLC is only likely to get worse.
  • Agent_Rothbard
    Options
    I'm really anxious about all this. Unlike most people here I did not find SLC or their annual deferment ritual a walk in the park at all. As an adult with autism and ADD I found the form and the requirement for stamps and supporting letters an organisational nightmare. I had only just succeeded in getting SLC to send someone round to coach me through the form for the first time last autumn. The reasonable adjustment that actually would have helped me was if they had said just send a letter, get it countersigned by your third party support and that will be fine. Ironically after reading this thread I learn that I could indeed have done that but SLC insisted it had to be their form and that year after year I should tramp down the benefits office (a sensory nightmare) to get the form stamped for a few quid of child benefit. So frankly to read all this about Etudio is making me really anxious and depressed and my deferment has another 7 months to go yet. On the basis that I cannot be treated worse than before, it seems Etudio cannot notify CRAs about my pre 1998 loans because although they legally can, that's definitely worse treatment so is excluded by the sale agreement? Can anyone suggest what I should do? I honestly don't want this debt collection shark to be handling (and sharing) info about my disabilities.
    Taxation is theft, purely and simply even though it is theft on a grand and colossal scale which no acknowledged criminals could hope to match.

Murray N. Rothbard
  • diddly-dee
    Options
    Returnee wrote: »
    What irritates me is that I have paid my ICR loan since I got it without fail, even when overseas. I've not tried to shirk my duty to repay it I have always deferred by MS loan, but genuinely for the first time I'm looking at this and thinking, 'what does it matter now if I bump them? I'm miles away and will be for the forseable future',

The thing is, if you try and do the 'right thing' now and pay off [some/all of] your loans - even if you're overseas, non-traceable, or not liable to pay due to earnings, the only people that will benefit are these vultures that have bought the loans. If your loan has been sold, as it seems most of them have, then not a penny will go to the Gvt/revenue, it just rewards the companies that bought the debt. If my two loans hadn't been sold off years ago, I might have paid back something by now (even though i wasn't liable to do so - just out of a sense of wanting to put something back), but there's no way i'd do that to put money in the coffers of some company that buys debt cheap and then comes down heavy on debtors. They're as bad as vulture hedge funds putting the screws on third world countries.
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    just keep emailing or twittering martin lewis, BIS, the guy at the independent who did the story last week, news papers/organaisations, MPs etc etc. The more people outside who know the problem, the more chance one of them will actually perform a serious investigation or speak to someone in government with gravitas to get it sorted. I cant stress how important it is to contact people with our stories. We dont know how many people actually have problems with this as forum posters arent in their thousands, so we have to speak out when we can. We have all already got the story to the BBC, MPs and other news outlets, so every individual with a gripe must contact someone outside the forums because we are all in this pathetically imposed boat together. Bombard twitter etc. Spread our concerns and encountered problems.
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I meant paul lewis, oops, martin i am sure will be following the forums once in a while
  • BaffledByErudio
    Options
    After a very exhausting fortnight, I've come to the conclusion I'm stressing it no more!
    I've not commented for a week or so, as I've been writing to, emailing, and phoning government bodies, MPs, Erudio themselves and credit reference agencies. Every avenue a dead end and every answer to a question no more informative than anything the press has reported.
    It has literally felt as if I have two jobs. Finish work every day and then work late into the night trying to root out the facts and just where we stand on everything. This is a situation I never ever expected to occur in my life, as I'm law-abiding and always play by the rules. I've known for 15 years the student loan needed to be paid off, but as I've always been under the earnings threshold (and still am) I've always deferred. I wasn't being dishonest and believe you me, if I could get a salary of over £28k I'd gladly start paying the loan back with knobs on!
    Whenever I've spoken to Erudio I've been promised things verbally with a promise to back up in writing. The letters never get written. The emails never get answered. You call back to complain and they say sorry and promise to follow it up. And the circle begins again.
    If you write to Erudio, special delivery, the letters are signed for at Rotherham, as required by Royal Mail, but there's never any come back.
    When you phone to query it, they say they'll chase it up.
    Whether it's smoke and mirrors, in a bid to stall us for time until our deferment periods are up, or if it's simply pure chaos and badly handled (I suspect a bit of both) we'll probably not know for sure until we're either deferred successfully (if entitled) or paying through our noses.
    We know what it's like now. I was very amused by a comment on either this forum or one of the others (I'm flitting so frequently between them, I can't remember) which said "...phoned Erudio again today.... for a laugh".
    Sadly it's not much of a laugh, but it's all laughable. Erudio's promises of 'fair processing' and dealing with us to the same standards SLC did are there to see in black and white. But either we're all dyslexic, or Erudio has a very sketchy picture of how the set up worked under SLC!
    One thing I do know is I've sent off the form now, along with all they've asked for, pay slips, P60 etc. I'm just hoping Erudio and Experian's assurances that even if CRAs do find out we're seemingly all now very naughty little girls and boys, are correct and that they keep to their word.
    It all seemed a bit more promising when Paul Lewis, on BBC Breakfast, told us to simply say we don't want grassing up!
    Then within hours, our hopes were dashed by BIS and their sneaky little 'section 16'. And the subsequent reports by MSE seem to confirm this.
    I despise the situation we're all in, but I don't completely blame Erudio or Arrow Global.
    I think Danny Alexander is a sneaky little turd to be honest, who has a backbone made of Play-doh.
    If these caveats and veiled threats of CRA slurs were always within reach of SLC, free for them to use as they felt fit, why the !!!!!!' beggary didn't they put them in force themselves, while they were dithering for the past 20 years about how to claw back cash from a student loans system they suddenly realised put their cash in jeopardy? If my suspicions are correct, it was far too easy for the government to shy away from acting the bully boy and flog off the portfolio and let someone else feast on us like vampires. Then BIS absolve themselves of any come back and say "Nowt to do with us guv!" Spineless!
    As there's a direct debit in place which Erudio has told me I can't cancel, I've just signed and sent the forms. I know others have had cash taken while in deferment, but Erudio have assured me (verbally) this won't happen while in deferment. I'm too weary now to even argue they might be fibbing.
    I've spoken to a colleague in the same boat as us and he says Erudio seem to be answering calls far, far faster now, are very apologetic and are no longer asking for a copy of a P60. Just the pay slips. They are also promising to send out letters, when requested, which set out to the borrower just what will be shared with CRAs and assurance it won't negatively affect credit reports.
    I also know for a fact that Radio 4 is working on an extensive report about the situation for its 'You and Yours' consumer affairs programme. I sadly don't know its air date.
    Anyway, let's hope, a year from now, we're all on good enough salaries to pay back the loans, or the fog has cleared and we can all see clearly where we stand if still entitled to defer. Good luck folks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback