Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 5th Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion
    • 5th Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion 5th Mar 08 at 11:06 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Slash The Cost Of Water Bills

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:19 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 25
    • ezglide1450
    • By ezglide1450 3rd Dec 19, 1:54 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    ezglide1450
    I’m not sure how it’s my fault as I had no idea that there was a leak until the Severn Trent guy came out. If I have a dripping tap or an overflowing toilet cistern I fix it straight away but I had no idea that the hot water tank had an overflow much less how to check it.I have never been asked to check the water meter in the 7 years I’ve lived at the property but I certainly will be checking and supplying monthly reads from now on. The point I am making is that Severn Trent waste millions of gallons a year through burst mains let alone small leaks they probably don’t even know about (much like me) but the first time it happens to me I have to pay out hundreds of pounds for nothing. Forgive me for feeling hard done by !
    • lornfile
    • By lornfile 10th Dec 19, 6:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lornfile
    Compulsory water meters
    Don't forget:

if you are worried about burst pipes because your water company is forcing you onto a meter, you can always get the water totally disconnected and purchase a rainwater-harvesting system, for which you will have to inform Building Control. However the water company may make infrastructure charges for a disconnection.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 11th Dec 19, 6:16 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 3,220 Thanks
    matelodave
    If you leave your immersion on continuously because you forgot to turn it off - who do you think should pay for the additional leccy that you've used.

The same with water really, Assuming that you regularly check your leccy & gas meters, why should it be any different for your water meter.

As Cardew says, some water companies will compensate you for lost water if you get it sorted out as soon as you notice there's a problem and get it fixed.

We had a leak several years ago, I discovered it because I read my meter every month and my consumption suddenly jumped. Anglian Water compensated me for around 35cu.m of water which is the amount we calculated that had be lost in the four weeks or so between reads.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Diana2014
    • By Diana2014 8th Jan 20, 12:35 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Diana2014
    Cheaper water bills
    I don't have a swimming pool or a particularly large garden (which are the assumptions on which sewerage rebate claim forms are based) but I've had a substantial sewerage rebate for many years now, although it took a while to haggle it out with Thames Water. I calculated that only about 30% as much dirty water goes into the sewer system from my home as the amount of clean water that I take, so the rebate is based on that. (TW clearly hate this and periodically insist on reviewing the rebate, but have had to accept that my household and habits remain unchanged.)

My garden is the standard size for an old terraced house but I grow a lot in containers, so I use all possible grey water (collected from baths, hair-washing, rinsing the washing-up etc) on those and the newly-planted bits of the garden.

I also divert all rainwater from the roofs of the house into a water-butt and the biggest underground water tank that I could install. I use that for gardening too, which is invaluable for acid-loving plants and also during droughts.

I recently discovered that, since April 2001, Thames Water has changed the basis on which they charge for "surface water drainage" (which was formerly lumped in with wastewater drainage) and that one can claim a rebate where rainwater from one's property does not drain to a public sewer - as in my case. That rebate can theoretically be backdated, although how that's done (at https://www.thameswater.co.uk/my-account/billing-and-payment/our-charges/metered-charges, under the "surface water drainage" subheading) is confusing and looks as if it's been changed since I put in a claim last year. I've not so far received any response from Thames Water to that claim.
    Last edited by Diana2014; 08-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    • Diana2014
    • By Diana2014 8th Jan 20, 1:08 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Diana2014
    [QUOTE=Cardew;75634086]"leaving our bath water in and using it to refill the toilet cistern after we flush"

Using grey water to flush the loo makes sense; I do it too. BUT I wouldn't pour it straight into the cistern (unless that is capable of filtering out the soap, dirt etc. which would otherwise eventually clog up the mechanism in the cistern). Pour the grey water directly down the loo instead, using a bucket (rather than a jug etc) if a stronger flush is needed.

The grey water will leave a horrid ring around the bath, so keeping the bath clean will be easier if you bail out the water with appropriate, lidded containers. Large plastic milk bottles work well for this (but will eventually degrade and start to leak).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

2,518Users online

Martin's Twitter