Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Switched from EDF after 5yrs of complete incompetency from them, I'd been with EDF for over 20yrs previously with no problems whatsoever, it was only from 2007 when I moved that the fun began.

1. could not register online as their website did not recognise the account no or my address. so I would phone in the readings

2. giving readings over the telephone took 3 tries on average

3. incorrect billing due to their failure to input the correct readings

4. tried to register for the Blue price promise by telephone, informed that I had been, only to find out that they never did this. Continual promises by them to put me on this tariff failed to materialize

I have now switched to BG and wow what a difference, not only cheaper bills, but great customer service, none of the EDF mantra's of "nothing to do with us" or "well you must have given us wrong readings" or the best one "well we wrote to you about this" If I have a problem its dealt with!

Best thing I did was get away from this shower
    total airhead, total bimbo, very superficial:D
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    springc wrote: »
    I am on the verge of switching from EDF after a year of being on their Blue Price Promise dual fuel tariff.

Their billing system in appalling, submitting meter readings online never seems to work properly and they don't send engineers to take them unless you request them. Their customer service via email give different answers to those on the telephone, I don't know if they're based elsewhere but it's not exactly helpful either way!

My account was over £600 in credit due to an error on their part from when I originally switched, and even though they've finally adjusted the settings a year later - because, as the CS Adviser put it, he'd bothered to read all the information when it looked like nobody else had - it's still over £200 in credit now!

I've been with EDF for over a year now.
    I submit my meter readings online once a month and get a bill produced usually the next working day.
    I see they also sent out a meter reader out at about 12 months despite my own regular meter readings.

I've never emailed them a issue, but when I originally switched I did call them to clarify something and sort something out for me and they were helpful on both occasions (although the sorting out response was essentially it'll happen within a week ... which it did)

The initial monthly DD is set based on the cost of 1/12 of the annual consumption you originally inform them, so if that produces a credit, you over estimated your consumption.
    DD is reviewed at 6 monthly intervals. If they don't have actual readings from you then that could be why you now have a credit (e.g. they increased the monthly amount). I can't make head or tail of how they calculate the revised monthly payments, but I had no issue getting it changed back to the original amount at the 6 moth period, and at 12 months they said I was not paying enough but they were not changing the DD anyway (I'm currently in credit as you would expect at this time of year)

If you switch supplier, you will get back all your accrued credit.
  • Wywth wrote: »
    The initial monthly DD is set based on the cost of 1/12 of the annual consumption you originally inform them, so if that produces a credit, you over estimated your consumption.
    DD is reviewed at 6 monthly intervals. If they don't have actual readings from you then that could be why you now have a credit (e.g. they increased the monthly amount).

I live in rented accommodation, so they were given the readings when I moved in, then after 6 weeks of living at the address I provided readings again, and have done every 3 months. They entered the wrong reading - inputting the electricity reading into the gas reading on their system - at the beginning, which was only realised by them last week, after a whole year of faff. The Customer Service rep actually admitted that it looked as if nobody had bothered to scroll to the bottom of the account as it was too far down and it was lucky he had.

I can have sympathy for certain errors, but this, coupled with crazy emails that all contradict each other, is just unbelievably ridiculous all round.
  • MSWinner
    MSWinner Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2013 at 3:28PM
    Although this tariff is "a low-carbon" one, it's by no means green - 100% of the power coming from nuclear generators which, if they don't fail, will leave hazardous waste to be managed for centuries to come.
    If I'd have known it was a nuclear power tariff I wouldn't have chosen it. Perhaps MSE could revise its advice?

Re EDF's service, I've only been with them 6 months but have had no problems so far. Indeed they reduced my monthly DD payments when they calculated I would be too much in credit at the end of the first year.
  • Switched to EDF dual fuel on moving house late last year. Pay by monthly DD - submit meter readings (online or via their app) every 6 weeks or so, and a statement appears shortly afterwards.

Had my DD amount changed a couple of times by them based on the amount of energy used, and they give the rationale behind it on the bill.

So overall no complaints; even won a pair of tickets for the London Eye through their "ThankYous" rewards programme!
  • I am on a long EDF fix. I submit regular meter reads, they advise in advance of any DD changes, bills are clear, and their rewards programme is ok. Email correspondence is good, including automated reminders to submit meter reads.

Was with Eon for 5 years before - they were fine too.

Being proactive is the key imho. All good.

Stuart:)
  • I have been with EDF for a year and no real problems.
    They upped my monthly payment at one point, but I did the sums and told them I disagreed. They then reduced it to the figure I calculated, without a quibble.
    I send in meter readings and they recalculate my payments by the next day.
    I am currently on a fixed rate which remains the cheapest fixed rate available and this was confirmed by MSE also.
  • an update on EDF -swopped to them in aug 2012 fixed until sept '13, no hitches moving from scotish power- except SP sent an estimated gas bill which was £20 over, we had given readings! just made sure our start reading with EDF matched; couldnt be bothered time/energy to wrangle with old supplier for that amount.I like that i can log on ,easily, update readngs every few months and my DD is altered accordingly - no nasty surprises . plenty of notice e.mail/paper that deal was ending, a phonecall to sign up for another year - was told two cheaper suppliers (has to be at least £52 p/yr) - stuck with them for great customer service/helpfulness; and didnt like reviews on the cheaper alternatives.;)
  • dannynolan
    dannynolan Posts: 999 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2013 at 11:42AM
    I have an edf blue fix to April 2014. To fix to April 2017 would mean an immediate rise in my tarriff of 24.97%.

So for me to be better off by getting an April 2017 fix, my existing energy price would have to rise by more than 13% p.a.

No thanks.

I think Martin needs to look again at the arithmetic here before badging the EDF Blue March 2017 as a Top Deal.

And as for his recommendation

*Beat the up to 10% price hikes – lock into a cheap FIX now*

Dreadful - a 25% increase right now does NOT beat a 10% price hike nor is it by any description a 'cheap FIX'.

Martin sort this out. You are doing your subscribers a big, big disservice.
  • dannynolan wrote: »
    I have an edf blue fix to April 2014. To fix to April 2017 would mean an immediate rise in my tarriff of 24.97%.

I've just moved from April 2014 fix to the April 2017 one, and have just taken the hit you mention, but you need to look deeper into the sums.

First, my bill has gone from combined £76 to £102 monthly, which is approx that 25% you mention.

That said, the April 2014 fix isn't a valid comparison, as it's nothing like what you'll get now, or come renewal. You're comparing something that no-one can currently get with what's actually available.

Should I have taken the April 2015 deal now, my bill would have gone up to £90/month, which is probably a better comparison for your purposes.

If, as expected, EDF up their prices by 10% in the next couple of days/weeks, that'll be up to £99 per month by the time April comes around.

So while I'm losing out by £26/month until April, and £3 (estimated) per month after that, I'm taking the hit because I don't believe that 4 year fix will persist much longer, given we're due price rises soon. The risk I'm taking is that the ~£200 extra I'm spending over the next 18 months will be offset by expected price rises over the 42 month period.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback