PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Oh, goodness! I can't get to grips with two grocery challenge threads...just posted on the wrong one as I started my June GC on Thursday. Reproduced here...sorry if I bore you twice :rotfl:

Well, I did a bit of a stock up shop of pasta and tinned stuff including about 4 months of cat food (my local garden centre had an offer on 3kg of Pro Plan food for £9.99, which is the cheapest I've seen it, so I got 3 bags), and feel like I've spent a fortune in comparison to the first few months of the year...no meat included in this either, as I'm still running down my freezer to defrost it...dread to think what it's going to cost to stock that back up with decent meat again...

Oh, better confess that my wine rack is also nicely full again...:o

Siggy updated, and I'm aiming for a week of NSDs, if not longer. I have a Waitflower voucher, so if I'm out & about in that area next weekend, I may use it to stock up on salad stuff. That counts as a No Spend in my little world :rotfl:.

Enjoy a lovely Sunday, folks. make the most of it

LB xx
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    First day of June - or indeed any - budget for me and I picked a good day - DH's grandparents have been wanting to take us out to lunch for ages so that's the plan today. We'll drop the kids off with my in-laws and then go pick up his grandparents. They are both around 90 so don't get out that much, hopefully it will be a nice day.
    So, should be a NSD day here, and I've got HM beef and tomato pies out of the freezer. No doubt the last thing we'll feel like eating but they needed using up!
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all - I've been MIA due to work committments. Anyway the MSE effect has remained strong. I did my first shop of June yesterady - no list etc (broke all the rules) and it came to £27. Last year the same bill would have been over £100 so there has been progress!:j
    This month I am aiming for £100. I have been using up the freezer since Christmas and will soon have used all the meat / fish products up. I therefore need to start savng for a meat order from our local farm shop.

The weather here is glorious and I hope that its the same with you all.
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Keeping at £600 though will be adding another adult (and at times 2) due to uni hols. But my month runs calendar month so will continue posting on may board till then. Have fun everyone :j
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Morning :)

One of my first thoughts when i woke up this morning was 'I want to go shopping at Mr T' ....whoops! Have decided not to listen to myself :rotfl:

Got loads of housework to do today to keep me busy, and another weeks worth of meal plans to plan.

I am also going to bake some more of millies cookies today, as they went down a treat with the kids!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a question about wine, please

Lavender Bees reminded me! Last year I bought a few meal deals from Tesc0 and MandS. I fully intended to use the wine over Christmas, but didnt. We opened a bottle the other day and it had a very musty and bitter taste to it. There are 8 more bottles!! Can wine go off if not stored correctly? Would it still be ok for cooking? I had stored it in the spare room so it could have suffered from temperature fluctuations.
    I will open another bottle to test that but I had hoped to give them as gifts but wont now.

Thank you in advance of any advice.
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

I've madfe a note of all your budgets and I'll update the front page list tonight [its too hot to sit at the comp at the mo]

Please post your budget in red if you want to be included on
    the list

Suffolk Lass - thank you hun x

Right then - I'm off to cool down

Helen x

PS almost forgot!!! Big thank you to Zippy and Rosieben for doing the thread - stars!

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • dottydee854
    dottydee854 Posts: 232 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2012 at 1:28PM
    Options
    Hiiii!!

Is it ok to join?? Been starting to do meal plans but not actually kept track of my shopping spend as never have, i just spent what i had on the list..and a bit more! So would like to budget myself.

Theres me, OH, DS (3) and DD (1) so im going for a stab in the dark here and saying about £250 for the month??

Have read through the first few posts so me and OH are going to look through the reciepes and make our meal plan later :P

Hope everyone enjoys the warm weather! :j

Chelle
    x
    Mummy to two beautiful kids!
    Currently doing Access to Higher Education, hoping to go UWE in sept 2013 to do Nursing!
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    I have a question about wine, please

Lavender Bees reminded me! Last year I bought a few meal deals from Tesc0 and MandS. I fully intended to use the wine over Christmas, but didnt. We opened a bottle the other day and it had a very musty and bitter taste to it. There are 8 more bottles!! Can wine go off if not stored correctly? Would it still be ok for cooking? I had stored it in the spare room so it could have suffered from temperature fluctuations.
    I will open another bottle to test that but I had hoped to give them as gifts but wont now.

Thank you in advance of any advice.

Did you store them lying down so the corks stay wet?

I seem to remember reading if you store them standing, the cork dries out and air gets in so the wine goes off.....

Dont know if thats any help, I am a diet pepsi drinker - wine sends me to sleep :rotfl:
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    1st shop of my June budget:
    8x seeded panini -50p (YS)
    Milk- 89p
    2xjuice- £1.58

Total = £2.97.

I have a Q for all the regular YS people. How long before closing time is the best to go into my local Mr T for the YS stuff?
    I normally go in about 3pm-3.30pm on a Sunday, but never manage to get really good reductions. Am i going in too late?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure