1st time claimant -Don't know where to start

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 July 2018 at 4:51PM
    PippyLS wrote: »
    ANother quick question please - I have started a claim online as we live in a UC area. It states he needs to make a joint claim and they will forward a linking code. I am not making a claim. Is this still a joint claim as we are married and living together?

That doesn't sound right to me.
    Be careful. Make sure this is not a UC claim - that's an online application.
    New Style ESA is a phone application.

"How to claim new style ESA
    If you live in a Universal Credit Full Service Area, you can claim new style ESA by calling:

Telephone: 0800 328 5644 (choose option 2, then option 6)
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

When you ring the helpline, you may be talking to someone that does not have sufficient training to understand that New Style ESA exists. They may tell you that you need to claim Universal Credit (even if you are not eligible to claim UC!)

If you are unfortunate enough to encounter a call handler that fell asleep during the New Style ESA part of their training, politely insist that it is New Style ESA you wish to claim and that you do not need or wish to start a claim for Universal Credit by itself. The call handler may try to give you the ESA helpline number, this will be incorrect as you cannot claim for the old version of Contribution based ESA in a full service Universal Credit area. Again, you will need to politely explain this to the call handler and insist that you talk to a manager. Please, please be persistent.
    Many claimants are wrongly being advised they can only claim Universal Credit and in some instances this is leaving the individuals financially worse off. We cannot stress enough, how important it is to ensure that you claim for the right benefit and don't assume that the call handler must be correct if they tell you that there is no such thing as ESA in a Universal Credit Full Service Area.

At the end of the call you should have given them some personal details and the call handler/manager should be confirming that they have registered your claim for New Style ESA. They will then e- mail you a UCESA1 form which needs to be completed and then you will need to phone UC again to arrange an appointment at the Job Centre Plus (JCP), if this wasn't done on the previous one call.

At the JCP appointment you will then hand in the completed form plus fit notes for the DWP to process and your claim should then proceed without any problems."
    https://www.benefitadvice.org/new-style-esa.html
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • PippyLS
    PippyLS Posts: 21 Forumite
    That was it Alice. I was transered to the UC Live if that means anything, after being on hold 58 minutes. Back on the phone now, hopefully wont be so long this time.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Also reported. Hopefully it will be removed soon, but the more people who report it, the better.
  • JoCha
    JoCha Posts: 42 Forumite
    It does annoy me - re the fibromyalgia person - that people encourage others to 'fake' illnesses. Some people are genuinely unable to work and need the benefits system to survive. This sort of 'you can pull it off' attitude just hardens to opinions of those people who are convinced that everyone who is on sick benefit is a faker.

To the OP, re free prescriptions, I've learned recently that this one is a bit of a minefield! From the information I now have though I do not think your husband would be eligible, unfortunately.
  • PippyLS
    Thank you all for the input. Well I tried calling back and after being on hold for over an hour 6 pm came and went so back to it tomorrow.
    For the serious advice please, I have spoken to OH and now know that we could probably apply for pip. I have to make sure he has had lunch, when I get in from work as sometimes he will go all day without it, I also remind him to take his meds, do his 'homework modules' for therapy, do all the driving as he gets anxious, and deal with the mortgage and utilities as he gets anxious. The mortgage and utilities are in his name, plus the accountants for his ltd company but I am a named correspondent to make decisions as again he gets anxious and it can lead to panic attacks.

Now my query, I will be back on the phone for the esa tomorrow - he cannot because of his anxiety again. Do I still need to do that, apply straight for pip, do both together, I really don't know what to do or say or to whom. The worst case we get no help but we won't lose anuything for the sake of a couple of hours asking.
  • PippyLS
    Re Getting OH to fake anything or lie will probably lead to full blown attack where ha cannot move, all his muscles lock up, he starts throwing up, cannot talk or breath and taking diazepam. I'd rather pay the prescription charges and have a lower state pension than that...
  • JoCha
    Just a general (possibly rather selfish) question to Pippy .. do you find it easy to get ESA to talk to you on your partner's behalf? I find it very very difficult to talk on the phone and often end up having to hand the phone to my partner to explain that I am panicking and can't talk but they won't discuss my case with him personally. Is there a way to get them to do it?
  • PippyLS
    Hi JoCha, haven't managed to talk to them yet. I managed to speak to someone early afternoon who told I needed to apply to UC Live (?) in my area. Once I started applying, came back on here and realised it was the wrong place. Phoned them back and after being on hold for over an hour their services shut at 6 pm.
    Anytime I have to talk to anyone else on behalf of OH I usually have him near me or will find him in the other room. He has to give his passwords etc and then I can talk to them e.g utilities, mortgage, banks, accountant and even hmrc are ok. I moved into his house after getting married. I have now started getting this in writing with the various companies so hopefully in future he doesn't have to be standing next to me
  • JoCha
    I must try that too .. it would be a huge load off my mind if my partner could speak on my behalf. I often put off phone calls cos I just don't feel up to making them (I know how that sounds to someone who has not witnessed or experienced it but I am guessing you understand). All the best to you and your husband :)
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    JoCha, my mum doesn't like to speak on the phone. Although she doesn't claim ESA, there are occasions when she needs to speak to others. I make the phone call for her, and explain that she is with me. They then ask to speak to her for the security questions, and she gives permission for them to speak to me. She has a practiced phrase, 'My daughter deals with everything for me. Please speak to my daughter'.

So far, we have never had any problem. It's worth practicing what you want to say first, or even writing it down, so that you don't forget through panic or anxiety.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure