Meter problem

2»

Comments

• Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I suppose it depends which company you are with, he reads meters for two or three companies and the meters have to be read at times. Can't remember how often though.

Of course smart meters are different but I think he said they have to be checked sometimes too.

We are with a company that doesn't have meter readers but you have to give them readings sometimes. I'm trying to get back to our original company now.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why isn't she concerned to switch to a cheaper tariff? That, combined with accepting estimated billing and not reading her own meters, has contributed to this problem.
    OP, you really need to post actual kWh usage figures from the last actual bill, and the one a year prior, to make any sense of this.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Katykat wrote: »
    She doesnt read her own meter.

Well there is the issue.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    . I'm trying to get back to our original company now.

Why ? Just because you have to read your meter ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 204 Forumite
    Robin9 wrote: »

It's very rare for a meter reader to read any meter these days let alone twice a year.

Yeah that's pretty much untrue. You might not have had your meter read recently but we have definitely had our meter read pretty regularly for the past few years. I don't believe you when you say it's really rare.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,324 Forumite
    The only requirement is to read the meter every 2 years. I don't think EDF even manage that for my electricity meter.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Why ? Just because you have to read your meter ?

No because I keep getting emails saying I owe them money without having given them a meter reading. It was usually about £80 a month but one was £112, we used to pay them £80 a month but put it up to £100.

How would they know how much if anything we owe them without a meter reading. We aren't on a smart meter.

They did get in a muddle with our address and another house in the next road with the same name but a different postcode. I wonder if it's still a muddle lol.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You putting your head in the sand isn't going to help varying DD. Read your meter and give your supplier some real figures to work with - you might even find the DD goes down.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ectophile wrote: »
    The only requirement is to read the meter every 2 years. I don't think EDF even manage that for my electricity meter.

The requirement to read meters once every two years was dropped by Ofgem in Apr 2016. The requirement now is that suppliers have to obtain a meter reading once every 12 months but the Licence Condition now longer stipulates how this has to be done.

A few weeks ago, I got a call from Lowri Beck asking me to give them a meter reading on behalf of a supplier that I left 8 months previously. Lowri Beck read meters on behalf of a number of suppliers. This was there way of obtaining a meter reading! I jokingly asked how much they were going to pay me to do their work?
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SSE read my solar panel readings every 6 months, it's when they are reading all meters in my area. So they read all meters here twice a year.

The required reading that has to be done every 2 years is outsourced to Morrison (Previously g4s) and they usually just phone me and ask for the readings, they then report to SSE that it was read by them on site, oh well....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure