PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• joedenise wrote: »
    I don't actually like mango but the one time I had it I didn't eat the skin. I would have thought it would be very hard to digest which would account for why it can take a few days to show if you have an allergy.

Stones always go into my food waste bin which the council collect. I think because it is composted at a large plant even the stones break down because of the heat generated. I doubt a home compost heap would get hot enough for them to break down.

Denise
    JackieO wrote: »
    I too wouldn't want to eat the skins ,but I love mangoes and like them smashed up in ice cream .I bought some mango sorbet from Aldis a little while ago and its in the freezer and is a delicious change from ice cream or ordinary cream on top of desserts.

The stones would probably take a month of sundays to break down I would think.
    xx
    Brambling wrote: »
    I also peel mangoes before eating, I like them this time of year with lime zest and a squeeze of juice. I worked with a Nigerian woman who would eat them like an apple including the skin.
    Thanks for the replies :) - I might give the skins a miss in future, and hope I'm not about to get a reaction from this time! The fruit was delicious though

We don't have a food waste collection, wish we did :( - i'll probably add the stone to the collection of stuff I give my son for his fire pit :rotfl:. I've started saving avocado stones for him too, I know they'll all need to dry out for a while, but I do try and cut down on what goes in the landfill bin and I always end up with branches and sticks which are too big to compost which he takes off my hands :D
  • Big pan of broccoli and stilton soup made with some of last years leeks from the freezer, 2 x bendy carrots and a pack of YS broccoli from the fridge and a potato that had sprouted in the veg wrack, lunches for days! Oh and I used up half a can of evaporated milk that was in a jar in the fridge too along with half a pack of dried out stilton!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Thanks for the replies :) - I might give the skins a miss in future, and hope I'm not about to get a reaction from this time! The fruit was delicious though

We don't have a food waste collection, wish we did :( - i'll probably add the stone to the collection of stuff I give my son for his fire pit :rotfl:. I've started saving avocado stones for him too, I know they'll all need to dry out for a while, but I do try and cut down on what goes in the landfill bin and I always end up with branches and sticks which are too big to compost which he takes off my hands :D
    Our food waste goes into our green bin (garden waste).
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Oh no! Could you try refreezing it and see if it is edible?
    Not recommended I'm afraid. Listeria is an invisible and silent killer ;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Listeria aside I don`t think it would refreeze anyway.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Our food waste goes into our green bin (garden waste).
    We don't even really get garden waste collection - it's an option extra at about £70 per year :(
  • We don't get a food waste here but we do get a garden waste and use that for anything not compostable, hard woody stuff, tree prunings and cabbage stalk sort of things.

Food today will be entirely from stocks so some soup I made yesterday for lunch, freezer bean burgers, new potatoes from the allotment and whatever I can find in the hothouses for a salad, will have to be cabbage based as the lettuces are suffering in the heat and not edible. I harvested 5 nice cucumbers yesterday and I have some good sized beetroot in the polytunnel so that will do nicely!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Mrs LW you sound as though you are almost self-sufficient :) My late ma-in-law had three quarters of an acre of garden and grew almost anything she could When her husband was alive he even had a go at growing tobacco (he smoked a pipe ) but she would only let him smoke it if he was at the bottom of the garden as it smelt revolting (but the old boy enjoyed it) She grew all of their fruit and veg and they had around 7-10 long rows of runner beans which when picked, he sold to a local greengrocer and it paid for their rates.Eventually they had a huge chest freezer which meant she didn't have to make so many pickled stuff ,although her piccalilli was gorgeous, along with her chutneys. They kept chickens and now and again a couple of pigs at the bottom of their land. I think she would buy only stuff she couldn't grow or make.
    My late husband grew up hating gardening though, as he said he had dug over at one point as a boy every inch of the blooming place. He would at a pinch mow the lawn but that was it I was the one who liked to grow things which he found a hoot as I was a Londoner from the east end :) and he was a country boy from the Isle of Wight.
    Sadly now I grow very little as age, and clapped out joints mean bending is difficult, but I still grow herbs in my conservatory so I guess thats something.
    When DD and family and I move to the IoW in 2 years time DD has promised I can have a raised bed to grow a few things in which will make it easier :) I have a gardener who comes once a fortnight and keeps my garden neat and tidy for me at the moment.
    But I am lucky enough to have friends will allotments so we do swap veg for cakes which I can easily make :):):)

The broccoli and stilton soup sounds delicious and if you have a moment I'd love the recipe as I have never tried to make it myself and I do like different soups

Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
  • It's 'loose' recipe JACKIE and usually the quantities I have to hand get used but this version was

2 good sized leeks cleaned and sliced
    1 large onion peeled and diced
    2 reasonable sized carrots washed and chopped
    1 decent sized potato peeled and chopped
    1 head of broccoli including the stalk (peeled and chopped of course)
    1 teaspoon dried sage
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 bay leaves
    2 1/2 pints of chicken stock (ham,veg or onion does just as well)
    some stilton cheese (odds and ends and whatever you happen to have including the rind if you don't hate the idea)
    some grated cheddar cheese ( to taste, you can add more at the end if want a cheesier soup)
    1/2 pint milk/cream/evaporated milk
    salt and black pepper
    few sprays from an oil spray to start the veg

spray in a heavy based pan with a lid and gently cook the leek and onion until it starts to soften, chuck in everything else except the cheeses and milk, bring to the simmer and cook until all the veg is soft. Take out the bay leaves and add milk/cream/evap, cheese and seasoning and stir until the cheese has melted. Blitz with a stick blender (if you haven't got one food processor/liquidiser does equally well) until smooth and uncus. Do a cheese and seasoning taste test and adjust both if you need to and enjoy something nice!

It works just as well with cauliflower too!

Hope you it if you make it, Lyn xxx.
  • Had some really rough looking carrots in the veg drawer of the fridge so this morning they got turned into carrot and red lentil soup for lunch. Was nice enough. Went down well with my toddler son and theres enough for us all for lunch tomorrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback