What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th April?

Comments

• allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    1LuckyLady wrote: »

Ally, Hope your night shift went as well as it could for you.

Better than expected. :D

Tired now. :undecided

Three more shifts and it's the weekend.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2018 at 11:53AM
    Whoop! received text re a ppi claim - one of mine this time :D - and I'll be getting a cheque for £179 in the next 10 days :beer:

This brings the total for ppi we've got in the last month to nearly £1000 :T literally for less than 2 hours work using guidance on here. We'd always thought we didn't have it. If you haven't already done it it's well worth a punt
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

* email fleabayer as I bought 2 things from her, they were posted together and she hasn't refunded me 1 of the postage costs! I might have to raise a dispute over it! Cost to her £2.95 cost to me £7! Done - really not impressed with this!

The trouble with refunding postage costs is that the seller has to pay ebay fees on postage costs, which they can't reclaim, even if they refund you :( It is always best to message the seller before you buy / pay to ask if they will combine postage. They can then send you an invoice with the new postage cost on it, and then they will only be billed for fees on the postage actually paid. Does that make sense? For example, here, the seller will have paid fees on the £7, so if they refund you half, they will be losing out. It is worth remembering this if you are selling, too. Some people don't realise that fees are charged on postage costs as well as the cost of the actual item. This was introduced a few years ago, and in my opinion is very greedy of ebay :mad: When I sell, I charge only the actual cost of posting the item (as charged by the post office) so lose out anyway on these fees simply by being fair to the buyer.

Not sure if raising a case would work in your favour, as in buying the items and paying without any prior discussion, you in effect agreed to buy the items at the price / postage costs stated :( Different of course if you agreed a different course of action with the seller upfront and then they went back on it.

Having said this, If I were this seller, I would certainly agree to refund some of the postage cost, but minus the amount of the ebay fee that will already have been added to their bill. But then I hate to have unhappy customers.....
  • DawnW wrote: »
    The trouble with refunding postage costs is that the seller has to pay ebay fees on postage costs, which they can't reclaim, even if they refund you :( It is always best to message the seller before you buy / pay to ask if they will combine postage. They can then send you an invoice with the new postage cost on it, and then they will only be billed for fees on the postage actually paid. Does that make sense? For example, here, the seller will have paid fees on the £7, so if they refund you half, they will be losing out. It is worth remembering this if you are selling, too. Some people don't realise that fees are charged on postage costs as well as the cost of the actual item. This was introduced a few years ago, and in my opinion is very greedy of ebay :mad: When I sell, I charge only the actual cost of posting the item (as charged by the post office) so lose out anyway on these fees simply by being fair to the buyer.

Not sure if raising a case would work in your favour, as in buying the items and paying without any prior discussion, you in effect agreed to buy the items at the price / postage costs stated :( Different of course if you agreed a different course of action with the seller upfront and then they went back on it.

Having said this, If I were this seller, I would certainly agree to refund some of the postage cost, but minus the amount of the ebay fee that will already have been added to their bill. But then I hate to have unhappy customers.....

In her listing she said if you got more than one item she would combine postage. I would have sent her a message otherwise. I'm happy to pay the extra but it's a bit steep imo
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • DawnW
    In her listing she said if you got more than one item she would combine postage. I would have sent her a message otherwise. I'm happy to pay the extra but it's a bit steep imo

I reckon she will refund you some of it if you ask, but unless an invoice is sent which states the combined postage, ebay will charge fees on the whole amount originally stated, which is worth remembering as a seller, too, because you can't reclaim the fees :(
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,089 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    DNMS & Dawn - I sell things on ebay & when I'm listing several things, I always add a note in my description that I'm happy to look at combining postage on two or more items as I know this can sometimes save the buyer some money. And for most people buying multiple items, this is exactly what I do. The exception is people who go ahead & pay me for separate items before I've had the chance to message them with the reduced combined postage costs. When this happens, (I've just had one recently on a sale of 2 magazines), I can only assume that the buyer isn't bothered about combining p&p.
    I wouldn't refund anyone who complained I'd sent the two items in one package if they went ahead & paid as two individuals items before waiting to hear from me with the new reduced price. I don't think that's mean, I just don't want to faff around with refunds when I make it perfectly clear in my listings that I'm willing to combine. Does that make sense? I think I'm saying broadly the same thing as Dawn?
    Agree that ebay got v greedy taking a % of postage costs. I don't know how this is even legal, really.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW
    Refunds on postage costs weren't an issue until ebay started charging fees on them :mad:
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,089 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Afternoon Thursday Pence Savers,
    Sooooo chilly today. Just about dry but far too cold to take my veggie seedlings down to the greenhouse for potting up.
    *Did next week's meal plans.
    *Wrote shopping list.
    *Do online order - try to get a green delivery slot - pushed for time on Sat so an online order makes sense.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Free mesl tonight - chunky turkey soup from rubber Christmas turkey & home made cobs from freezer.
    *Baked sourdough loaf I mixed up yesterday.
    *Froze an unused pepper.
    *Sold some marmalade - added straight to LPDF.
    *Did 3 surveys.
    *Made a start on cleaning the house - just got to run the Dyson around.
    *Continue working on my revised healthy eating plans.
    *Free fitness as am about to pop out for a walk to test out new insoles in my DMs.
    *Think about what I'd like for my birthday as mr f is wanting ideas.
    *Update my DFW diary. It's quite cathartic sharing tales of the Spendy Decades.
    Best wishes to all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW
    Anyway, apart from moaning about ebay, today looks like this:
    Market this morning for veg and fruit, £5 for 2 big bags :)
    Opened a new regular saver account to replace the one that matured yesterday
    Used up the last of the cress I grew on the windowsill for lunchtime sandwiches :)
    Booked car in for MOT and service :eek:
    Free treats received with dog food delivery this morning, much to dog's delight :rotfl:
    Sowed a few seeds but was so cold outside I didn't stay out long!
    Also planted some of the living lettuce stuff from the supermarket in a bigger pot to let it grow on a bit, and repotted a parsley plant I bought from the market.
    Now lit the woodburner - wish we could get some warmer, drier weather :(

Further plans:
    Update spreadsheet with spends etc
    Post a couple of letters, will coincide with taking the dog out
    Dinner will be jacket potatoes stuffed with smoked haddock, herbs and creme fraiche, with green veg on the side.

Boring list - hope to add to it later!
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Late post again but better than not at all. Glad your night shift was ok ally

Top gardeners out there, most of my daffs have come up blind this year. Is there a reason for this? Any advice, as ever much appreciated.

Today's list:
    Used gym membership, filled water bottle 3 times :D
    Used some frozen blueberries in my protein pancakes I had when I came back
    DH took leftovers, hot drink and snack to work. Dd had packed lunch
    Borrowed a costume my dd needed for tomorrow rather than sourcing one at cost
    Washing shuffle
    Checked banking
    Still need to move pots around from yesterday, was too tired by the time I got to look at it
    Balance just for spends cc
    Walk tonight with friend, free exercise.

Right best do some work before I go pick up the smalls. Purps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure