PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lol frozen laundry, I've been caught out by that many a time :rotfl::rotfl:

MTSTM - maybe the plump Pintresters used to be really huge and had reduced to their current size via clean eating? ;):)

Good morning everyone,

Bright, sunny but very cold out here this morning but it looks as though it could be a decent day as long as you are well wrapped up:).

I need to get myself organised aka stop noodling online while drinking coffee and get myself showered and dressed. I've lots of veg chopping to get done for the huge shepherdess pie I'm making as I want to cook it today so it just needs popping in the oven tomorrow.:)

Foodwise, I've no idea what my plans are for today yet. I'll decide when I know what my son is doing this evening.:)
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Frozen washing? That's nothing, I once had frozen hair!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm scared to ask....
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Running late for work but still determined to have clean hair, no time to blow dry ... It was damp rather than wet, but still froze.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am looking forward to icicles, remember sucking them when children?

Such a busy bee this morning, went to next village shop, bought the essential baking powder, eggs, milk, emmental, butter and straight into baking prep when I got back. Triple the amount of granola so mixed it all in mixer. 2 bags of parsnips peeled and ready to part roast for freezer

Have made a big slab of date slice and in process used up 1 lb of ancient perfectly good dates in blocks. Cooling and will slice into nice satisfying pieces to freeze. Granola is waiting to bake, in 2 large tins. Gold cake, pork steak and newly part-cooked parsnips all in oven together, medley of green veg ready to cook. I am hot but cba to go upstairs and put a t shirt on. All available dishes either in dw or done by hand, still got room in dw so will put that on later, after oven is finished

No reading yet, just radio 4 and witnesses at the door in a group of 2 pleasant adults and a child. I had to be pleasantly firm from the start but they took it in good humour
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kittie wrote: »

Have made a big slab of date slice and in process used up 1 lb of ancient perfectly good dates in blocks. Cooling and will slice into nice satisfying pieces to freeze. Granola is waiting to bake, in 2 large tins. Gold cake, pork steak and newly part-cooked parsnips all in oven together, medley of green veg ready to cook.
    Kittie I have booked into your place for the weekend. Hope you don't mind!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    :)

Ah yes.... never follow any recipe that a fat person posts.
    And double the portions they say it's for.

A portion is: Half what you think - and a quarter of what you'd like it to be :)

Probably a good way of looking at it actually.

We all know portion sizes have got bigger over recent decades. I think one of the very first cookbooks I got was "Doreen Keighley's Vegetarian Cook Book" and I think it must be a 1960s one/certainly not later than the early 1970s. The portions are most definitely smaller in there than more recent cookbooks - and I regard it as dual purpose in a sense. That being - I tend to regard the servings as correct for me - but I'd increase them if I had guests round (knowing they'll probably expect 21st century size portions).

Probably one of the best mottos for weight being = Eat 1970s size portions and have a 1970s amount of exercise and you will be 1970s size (ie slim to standard).

Yep....I duly had some exercise this morning - group litterpicking. Thankfully it was a dry day/blue skies/sunny and only normal level wind (not West Wales level). Duly feels virtuous...:). Think I've earned my lunch.
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    Yesterday I joined my work colleagues for a LARGE sausage baguette from the pub next door to our workplace for lunch. I couldn't finish it!

Because of that, I wasn't hungry until about 8pm, then just had a round of bacon butties with bacon and bread that all needed eating sooner rather than later! Rather a lot of pork for one day!

Today's dinner will be a frozen pizza, nothing complicated!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I am looking forward to icicles, remember sucking them when children?
    Avoid the yellow ones;)

Up early, breakfast was HM yoghurt & honey, had to nuke the honey a bit because it has crystalised

Bright but freezing wind, did a spot of my volunteer gardening, pruning the buddlias & roses. Then mooching around shops

Nothing much around, but did grab some W/r mature cheddar, on offer at the moment. Never told the bloke who shoved past me at cheese section that it would have been cheaper for him to buy 2 smaller packs of cheddar cheese on offer at £4.24 kg instead of 1 large at £6 kg

That and my "free" paper made the morning pleasant

Lunch was grilled tinned sardines in tom stuff, on toast. They were saltier than I remember, same ones, maybe it's me

Dinner is the YS huge pizza, and I'm defrosting mozzie cheese to add some extra, plus a wrinkly tomato.
    Could be CFO "Special Breakfast" of cold LO pizza tomorrow
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I had that more than once! I lived in the East, where the bitter winter winds come straight from Siberia ... and I used to swim 6am, then get home with hair still wet, into my school uniform and go out to catch the 8am bus with my hair still wet! It froze a few times.

We were hard back then weren't we :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure