Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It is hurtful :(. As you say the DC don't drive so would have to hang around until the evening. At my niece's wedding in November DH had to leave in the middle of the speeches and drive back to the hotel to collect the DC, who had been twiddling their thumbs in the hotel all day :mad:. 400 miles is a long way to travel for an evening do. The couple are not short of money either as my nephew earns about 70k and his fiancee comes from a wealthy family. It just seems inconsiderate and hurtful :(. Maybe I'm being oversensitive but I've been feeling a bit upset every since the invitations arrived :(.

Anyway I mustn't dwell on negative things. Onwards and upwards!

Yes - try not to get too downhearted about it. On the other side of the coin, having gone through it once before, the boys probably won't be that keen on going (are teenage boys/young adult men really that keen on attending big family events anyway? - if it's with their mates it seems to be looked on differently in a lot of cases!). You have a valid excuse re. cost of it all.
    Verbatim wrote: »
    Thanks for all the book suggestions. I also love CJ Sansom and after investigations on google gather the next book will be out in October. I also love Sara Paretsky, set in Chicago and Lyndsey Davies who writes the Falco and daughter series set in ancient Rome. Very well researched. Also love Dorothy LSayers and Margery Allingham.

Another Lyndsey Davies fan here Verbatim! I love Falco!

Books for me have opened up such a vivid and educational world. Having decided (quite erroneously) that my formal education should end at fifteen, books were my saving grace (I always loved reading). I got into Jean Plaidy et al in my teens and although she writes in a romanticised way, her novels really drew me into an interest in history and therefore led me to read formal historical biographies (of which I have quite a library!). I often get annoyed watching contemporary historical documentaries on the TV as they can appear to be dumb-downed compared to a few years ago - and they keep repeating bits over and over again!:mad: However, if they get one person interested in history enough to research it further then its ok by me - the modern equivalent of the Jean Plaidy novel!:)
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,694 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My new Jojo Moyes book has arrived. Still Me. Hoping to get reading it this weekend. I say hoping as I have another busy one!

Hope you enjoy coffee with your friend. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 3:34PM
    Just a quick drop in to ask for your advice, Hairy.

After you recommended Michael Jecks' books I've been on my local library website and see they have 3 available to order in from libraries in other parts of the county, namely:

City of Fiends
    Devil's Acolyte
    Sticklepath Strangler

Would you recommend them, please? Apparently they are parts of the Knights' Templar series.

To be honest, I'm not all that keen on mediaeval novels (Philippa Gregory, Jean Plaidy from being read decades ago etc):o. I might like Jecks as they are mediaeval crime and I like nothing better than a good crime novel;)

It doesn't cost anything to order in and borrow books so I've nothing to lose really. Just wondered what you thought:)

I would borrow The Sticklepath Strangler' as it is number 12 chronologically in the series (it goes up to 32!). The Devil's Acolyte is number 13 in the series, but City of Fiends is number 31 in the series.

The books are murder mysteries, but do contain quite a lot of historical detail. I would try reading one and see whether you like it.

I've only read one in the series so far (I'm collecting them but saving them to read chronologically later). The book I read was about a stonemason who was working on building Exeter Cathedral and who was murdered (The Chapel of Bones). The book was about the investigation into his death and what happened to his family afterwards, plus some historical detail about the building of the cathedral (which I found fascinating), plus the people investigating his murder etc.

I thought it was very good anyway so I recommend trying one to see if you like it.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Verbatim wrote: »
    Thanks for all the book suggestions. I also love CJ Sansom and after investigations on google gather the next book will be out in October. I also love Sara Paretsky, set in Chicago and Lyndsey Davies who writes the Falco and daughter series set in ancient Rome. Very well researched. Also love Dorothy LSayers and Margery Allingham.

I like Sara Paretsky and Lyndsey Davies too as well as Dorothy and Margery :)
    Yes - try not to get too downhearted about it. On the other side of the coin, having gone through it once before, the boys probably won't be that keen on going (are teenage boys/young adult men really that keen on attending big family events anyway? - if it's with their mates it seems to be looked on differently in a lot of cases!). You have a valid excuse re. cost of it all.

Another Lyndsey Davies fan here Verbatim! I love Falco!

Books for me have opened up such a vivid and educational world. Having decided (quite erroneously) that my formal education should end at fifteen, books were my saving grace (I always loved reading). I got into Jean Plaidy et al in my teens and although she writes in a romanticised way, her novels really drew me into an interest in history and therefore led me to read formal historical biographies (of which I have quite a library!). I often get annoyed watching contemporary historical documentaries on the TV as they can appear to be dumb-downed compared to a few years ago - and they keep repeating bits over and over again!:mad: However, if they get one person interested in history enough to research it further then its ok by me - the modern equivalent of the Jean Plaidy novel!:)

The DC usually enjoy family parties strangely enough because there are quite a lot of cousins of a similar age and free food :D.

Tv history can be irritating, although some are much better than others. Mary Beard, Alice Roberts and Michael Wood's documentaries are quite good.
    Nicnak wrote: »
    My new Jojo Moyes book has arrived. Still Me. Hoping to get reading it this weekend. I say hoping as I have another busy one!

Hope you enjoy coffee with your friend. x

Thanks Nicnak. Nothing better than a new book to read :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Enjoy your catch up today HHOD.

I hope you will be remembering all these evening invitations when your 3 get married! You know me I like to be bitter about these things :rotfl: xx

What is it about weddings :mad:. DS1 has already said he knows who he's going to invite to his wedding (one day in the misty future :rotfl:).
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hello Hairy, :hello:

Popping out of lurkdom to recommend the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr, detective/crime stories set in Germany before/during/after WWII. Really great books.

Also the Matthew Bartholomew & Thomas Chaloner series' by Susanna Gregory. Matthew Bartholomew is set in 14th century Cambridge & Thomas Chaloner in Restoration London, both whodunnit type series & really easy to read.

I'm another Falco fan, reading the new Albia books just now & enjoying them too. :T Have been enjoying the book chat. :)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Thanks for de-lurking Sashybo :).

I haven't tried Phillip Kerr or Susanna Gregory yet so more for my list. I'll need another house just for my books at this rate :rotfl:.
  • I enjoyed meeting my friend for coffee. I came away feeling very motivated to de-clutter and clean our house. Mind you she doesn't work and her DH has retired early so they have more time than me, plus they only have one adult child at home instead of three (excuses excuses :rotfl:).

We got lots of work done and the sun came out by mid morning. I also got a £2 PA survey :).

I'm fed up with my lack of fitness though so I'm determined to restart my park walks on Monday, even if I only have the energy to stagger to the park gates and back :rotfl:.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday :). Whoopee it's Friday :T.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I enjoyed meeting my friend for coffee. I came away feeling very motivated to de-clutter and clean our house. Mind you she doesn't work and her DH has retired early so they have more time than me, plus they only have one adult child at home instead of three (excuses excuses :rotfl:).

I think your excuses are very valid Hairy! It's a lot easier to keep a house neat and tidy when you don't work (either at home or outside) and don't have three large sons at home! You'll get there slowly but surely.:)
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Thanks SSG. I would actually love to be able to spend more time de-cluttering, I also wish we could afford more storage. One day, one day...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure