Use of other vehicles

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ha ha ha knew it wouldn't be long before this got piped up.

If you drive an uninsured car under your "drive other cars" status...

1. You'll be at risk of being stopped by the police and/or triggering ANPR for having no "insurance" yes it might be legit but it's still a hassle.

True.

2. What happens if you park up and walk away, car won't be insured.

The owner's insurance covers it at all times, except when an un-named person is driving.

But that aside, I want to know why a local authority requires it's employees to drive minibuses on the employees own personal insurance.

AFAIK no-one has suggested that it does.
    See comments in red.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 12:33PM
    Car_54 wrote: »
    See comments in red.

What insurance does the owner have that covers it while parked when we are talking about a car not having insurance to start with?

Also why would someone have available a car that is taxed and MOT'd yet has no insurance sitting waiting for someone with "drive other car" extension to come along and drive it?
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Regardless, you said
    But they must be insured in their own right before you can drive them under your "drive other cars" cover.

It might cause some hassle but your statement is wrong.
  • chrisw wrote: »
    Regardless, you said

It might cause some hassle but your statement is wrong.

Why would someone have available a car that is taxed and MOT'd yet has no insurance sitting waiting for someone with "drive other car" extension to come along and drive it?
  • Car_54
    What insurance does the owner have that covers it while parked when we are talking about a car not having insurance to start with?
    I didn't know we were. Anyway, according to you (post #7) the car must have insurance to start with. That is not always the case.

If no insurance is in place then the owner has no cover for damage to his vehicle, and he's committing a continuous insurance offence. But those apply regardless of whether it's parked or being driven by A N other.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I didn't know we were. Anyway, according to you (post #7) the car must have insurance to start with. That is not always the case.

If no insurance is in place then the owner has no cover for damage to his vehicle, and he's committing a continuous insurance offence. But those apply regardless of whether it's parked or being driven by A N other.

So you are all just talking nonsense going round in circles then. A car has to have insurance to be on the road, it's own insurance, in it's own right - however you want to word it, before someone with "drive other cars" cover can come along and drive it.
  • Car_54
    So you are all just talking nonsense going round in circles then. A car has to have insurance to be on the road, it's own insurance, in it's own right - however you want to word it, before someone with "drive other cars" cover can come along and drive it.

Not at all.

Let's say I own a car, which is not insured. If your policy allows it, you can drive it quite legally. I am the one committing an offence.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its "own" cover would apply when parked.

I've had a car damaged when parked. The insurer didn't ask who had parked it.

It wouldn't if it didn't have its own cover but had been driven to the parking spot by a driver whose insurer allowed him/her to drive other cars that are not insured under their own policy. Like one of mine does.

Which was rather the point of my post
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A car has to have insurance to be on the road, it's own insurance, in it's own right - however you want to word it, before someone with "drive other cars" cover can come along and drive it.

It is the person using the vehicle on a road or other public place that is required to have insurance, not the vehicle itself - s.143, 1, (a), Road traffic Act 1988.

That person could be using their insurance third party cover, but it would depend on their own insurance terms and conditions if the vehicle needs to be covered by other insurance or not.
  • Car_54
    It is the person using the vehicle on a road or other public place that is required to have insurance, not the vehicle itself - s.143, 1, (a), Road traffic Act 1988.

But the vehicle itself must be insured, under the Motor Vehicle (Insurance Requirements) Regulations 2011. This is the responsibility of the registered keeper, not the driver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure