Notice period one week - when does it end?

If you hand your notice in today and it's a weeks notice, when would be the last day you'd work?

I know it activates the following day, so would you have to work until next Tuesday or Wednesday?

Also, is there a difference between the terms 7 days or 1 week in the contract?

And if you have never signed a contract, does that matter or is it implied?

Thanks in advance. Called ACAS but they can't talk about this apparently.

Comments

• Pricivius
    Pricivius Posts: 651
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you resign today and give 1 week's notice, your last day will be 17 April. So you will work next Tuesday.

I cannot think of a difference between 7 days and 1 week, unless day/week is given a different definition in the contract (such as working week or working day).

If you never signed the contract, but have acted it out (so you have attended work and have been paid for it) you are deemed to have agreed to it unless you have objected to it. There is no need to sign it.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,374
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    There would only be a difference between 7 days notice and one week if there was something in your contract which stated 7 working days. In the absence of a contract I would say there is no difference.
  • demiruss
    demiruss Posts: 56 Forumite
    So could there be any explanation for an employer saying you have to work until the Wednesday? The contract just says '1 week's notice'.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    demiruss wrote: »
    So could there be any explanation for an employer saying you have to work until the Wednesday? The contract just says '1 week's notice'.

They are unable to count?
  • demiruss
    edited 10 April 2018 at 12:56PM
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    They are unable to count?

:rotfl:

They're saying Peninsula has said it ends on Wednesday. One of the managers wanted me to do something on the Wednesday and was really put out by me not doing it, then all of a sudden I had to work until the Wednesday. I offered alternative staff members who could do the job but she flat out refused. I didn't agree to it and now she's saying I did and must stay until Wednesday.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Even if you previously agreed to do something you can still terminate the contract with the contractual notice.

Don't need to have any discussion as you won't be employed by them after Tues.

Manager can huff and puff as much as they like.
  • demiruss
    They're saying you hand it in on Tuesday, it becomes 'live' on Wednesday and they count a calendar week from then. Is that allowed? I've always just counted 7 days from e.g. Wednesday = Tuesday. I feel like I'm going cuckoo. They're going to say I've breached my contract if I don't do the extra day.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    demiruss wrote: »
    They're saying you hand it in on Tuesday, it becomes 'live' on Wednesday and they count a calendar week from then.

They're right, but they seem not to realise that the week ends on Tuesday. Perhaps you could stand in front of them and count the days: Wednesday = 1, Thursday = 2, Friday = 3, (Saturday = 4), (Sunday = 5), Monday = 6, Tuesday = 7. How can they argue with that, unless they think that a week contains more than 7 days?
  • demiruss
    edited 10 April 2018 at 8:01PM
    agrinnall wrote: »
    They're right, but they seem not to realise that the week ends on Tuesday. Perhaps you could stand in front of them and count the days: Wednesday = 1, Thursday = 2, Friday = 3, (Saturday = 4), (Sunday = 5), Monday = 6, Tuesday = 7. How can they argue with that, unless they think that a week contains more than 7 days?

I done this before, they still argued it's Wednesday to Wednesday. Consensus here is I'm not going loopy :o and will ask it does not get classed as a breach.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Resign today and let them argue in court after you left on Tues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure