Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KT2802
    • By KT2802 30th Nov 13, 2:04 PM
    • 595Posts
    • 4,388Thanks
    KT2802
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2013
    • 30th Nov 13, 2:04 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2013 30th Nov 13 at 2:04 PM
    Happy Christmas everyone

AND HERE WE GO AGAIN FOR ANOTHER MONTH! As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months! A big THANK YOU to Maddiemay for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are locked in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010.

Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda,Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies;

Why not add the challenge to your sig as a reminder?

We have a "Swaps Group" on Facebook when you can swap good condition items with other like-minded addicts. PM Trudij, Tokkiandoliver, seasideDreamer or luvlycake your email address and they can add you to the group.

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying.In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!)

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay
    Unsuitable products can be used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc.)

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts)

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity as mentioned earlier.

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots,Body Shop, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal!*

*Honest!

Good luck all for December and indeed next year, and remember to keep popping in for inspiration and support, and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy, and keep your stash lists updated

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared !!) oh - and did we mention that are nosey??!!

Useful abbreviations!

WIBA? - Will I Buy Again?
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning,lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!

Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP -Pink Rose Candle Philosophy.From Erma Bombeck who said, 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculptured like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives.Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA- for an out that was given away rather than binned or UU, to charity,as a present, or "just because!".

TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage.

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies -congratulations You are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - pm the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge, good luck ladies xx

1.mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2.Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours Jun 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer -graduated with honours Oct 2012

Previous threads:

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review here are the links for the past few months challenge threads (just click on the date to take you straight to it):

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013

Can't wait to hear how people get on stash busting over the festive period and hearing about gifts that people get!
    Last edited by KT2802; 30-11-2013 at 2:17 PM.
Page 4
    • Sundaysgirl
    • By Sundaysgirl 3rd Dec 13, 7:56 PM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 6,323 Thanks
    Sundaysgirl
    Pleased to hear your son came through the op ok rosemary.

UU:

5. Nivea Soft Moisturising Lotion 25ml - WNBA, did the job but I prefer body butters.

And with that I think I have graduated in travel size body lotions. For the next 21 days, anyway. Or until I raid the toiletries gift sets I have stashed
    MFW 2017 #123 2018: 1,852.64/39,200 (4.7%)
    • mad_scientist
    • By mad_scientist 3rd Dec 13, 10:22 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 4,614 Thanks
    mad_scientist
    Evening ladies, I am in for another month, just a bit late as ever!

I had 6 UU and 2 ins for November so the stash is still going in the right direction.

I have had 3 UU in the first 3 days of December which is much faster than my usual UU rate!

Liz Earle C&P 30ml tube - WBA, I don't think this is amazing on my skin but it doesn't seem to make it worse either! I have a full size pump tube still to use, this was the free gift which I have used first.

Max Factor Facefinity foundation - WBA because it is just so darned quick and handy in the morning and I don't have to use powder on top. I won't buy for a while until I have used some of the foundations from my stash, if I have one of these compacts I'll just use it instead!

DHC facial moisturiser sachet - WNB, I had loads of sachets from DHC and I haven't liked any of them. I used this on one of my legs tonight as the moisturiser always smell a bit fishy, I think I have have had this too long. Easy UU though!

I was speaking to a girl at work today about her nice nail polish and she said she had the Ciate advent calendar. I was very jealous about her getting 24 new nail polishes! although I wouldn't want to declare all those Ins.
    No more buying unnecessary toiletries 2018
    35 UU / 13 unnecessary ins
    • suzitiger
    • By suzitiger 3rd Dec 13, 10:23 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 7,304 Thanks
    suzitiger
    Yaaaaay happy to hear ur son is all good Rosemary

Ok my PP for December:
    -Potion Body Lotion (nearly all gone)
    -Ginger Body lotion (about 1/3 left)
    -Chai shower gel 100ml (done one, this one not much left either)
    -Happy Hippy shower gel (got the OH helping me on this one too )
    -Roots hair treatment
    -Ro's Argan body conditioner (both roots and argan are small tubs)
    -Glogg shower gel (small pot)
    -Avoshower shower gel (I LOVE this but I've had it a LOOOOOONG time so its time to use it up )
    -Peace Massage Bar
    -Alkamaar soap sample

I reckon I can get through all of these if I really try
    Lots of my ebay things have bids on them so I look forward to getting those out of the house next week
    Don't turn a slip up into a give up
    *NSD Challenge Nov 0/10* *10 a day challenge Nov 0/300*
    No buying unnecessary toiletries challenge-in it for the long haul

• moneyless mac
    • By moneyless mac 3rd Dec 13, 10:30 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    moneyless mac
    Glad your son is on the road to recovery Rosemary.

UU

J&J baby naturals body cream - WNBA one of my oldest relics - this was the final one in my stash.

Lancome bifacial - WMBA but only to take advantage of a cracking GWP. The product does a great job but I still dont think its worth the price tag.

GA
    Sanctuary gift set for school fair raffle

Some ins have arrived from last months purchases:

Birchbox subscription gift:
    molton brown pepper body wash.
    macadamia hair mask
    Liz Earle cleanse and polish
    Givenchy mini mascara.

and from a Boots order:

2 x Max factor facefinity.
    2 x Tampax.
    3 x Sure Max protection deo.
    Molton Brown Ylang body wash.
    No more buying toiletries
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 4th Dec 13, 9:23 AM
    • 5,020 Posts
    • 46,273 Thanks
    dolly84
    Have a little uu

Pai Camellia & Rose Cleanser 5ml - the sample was too small to see whether it would be good for my skin but I wasn't too keen as I seemed to need loads of it, probably WNBA.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.

Fashion on the Ration 5/66
  • rosemary54
    Rosemary, how are you doing?

Any news on your son yet?
    I suppose with the time difference it may still be too early yet.

I bet it's been a very long day for you.

Hugs xx
    Originally posted by Clutterfree
    thanks for the hugs,we managed to talk to him in facetime last night,think he looked worse than he actually was!!!face all swollen and teeth wired together so he has to squirt a syringe of soup towards his mouth in the hope some gets through!!!(hell of a diet)the wire comes off in two weeks and is replaced by elastic so he can eat soft foods then.he now has a titanium plate in his jaw and it has been moved forward 10 mms.it is awful being so far away but thankfully he has good friends keeping an eye on him
  • rosemary54
    Can I just play devil's advocate/enabler here and ask if anyone has anything on their toiletries xmas wish list or to find in the sales at a super low price?

This is mine, hoping for about 20!

http://www.johnlewis.com/molton-brown-the-bathing-treasures-collection-12-x-50ml/p591549

Really not holding out ANY hope though, it's out of stock on the main MB website and the link doesn't even get you to the product, so doubtful there'll even be any left come the sales
    Originally posted by kadison
    38 at john lewis still does look nice I love their stuff am using orange and bergamot hand wash and lotion in the bathroom mmmmmm
    • Babafette
    • By Babafette 4th Dec 13, 1:35 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 13,305 Thanks
    Babafette
    Afternoon ladies, I hope everybody is having a good day. I'm glad to hear your son is doing well after his operation Rosemary, I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Two small use ups for me this morning. The Dove Moisturising Milk Shampoo sachet 10ml is finished after two showers. I liked the smell of it, it lathered well and left my hair soft. However, I wouldn't buy this variety again as I think it would be better for dry hair. Since my hair tends to be greasy I'll have to wash it again tomorrow as it will feel a bit lank by then.

L'Oreal Revitalift Repair 10 sachet - the consistency was OK, but the smell was nothing special. I don't think my fussy skin likes this and it looks like I am now getting a rash so I wouldn't buy it.
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician....
  • TheOxfordOwl
    Yaaaaay happy to hear ur son is all good Rosemary

Ok my PP for December:
    -Potion Body Lotion (nearly all gone) Jealous!
    -Ginger Body lotion (about 1/3 left)
    -Chai shower gel 100ml (done one, this one not much left either)
    -Happy Hippy shower gel (got the OH helping me on this one too )
    -Roots hair treatment
    -Ro's Argan body conditioner (both roots and argan are small tubs)
    -Glogg shower gel (small pot)Jealous!
    -Avoshower shower gel (I LOVE this but I've had it a LOOOOOONG time so its time to use it up )Jealous!
    -Peace Massage Bar
    -Alkamaar soap sample

I reckon I can get through all of these if I really try
    Lots of my ebay things have bids on them so I look forward to getting those out of the house next week
    Originally posted by suzitiger
    Can I come live in your bathroom??
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in January!
    UU: 5, IN: 2
    Total Stash: 99 - ultimate target 33 (year start 99)
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Dec 13, 4:23 PM
    • 4,056 Posts
    • 37,103 Thanks
    maddiemay
    1 UU - the over perfumed Avon body cream is no more, first item from my PP list on to the Lush Dream Cream now.

1 TA - I'm chucking the last application of Natural Hair Care Scalp Oil, I used it today and in spite of using lots of shampoo it has left my scalp too greasy and cannot be bothered with it again.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • London baby
    • By London baby 4th Dec 13, 9:34 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    London baby
    I've been naughty and given into the recent M & S glitches:

Ins: 3 x 30 ml of M & S White Flowers Eau de Parfum : On first sniff, very floral (Obviously)

6 x 10 ml Eau de Tolilette True Red Purse sprays - Reminds me of another famous brand possibly DKNY.

Will declare a UU now to make up for the above as only a few sprays left: Tommy Hilfiger 10 Eau de Toilette. WNBA, initial scent is lovely but fades very quickly. Not sure if it's because it's a toilette rather than parfum.
    • kadison
    • By kadison 4th Dec 13, 10:10 PM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 56,722 Thanks
    kadison
    Need to declare an NPI, Clinique thing on Grabbit, managed to come away without ordering
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2020
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
    • moneyless mac
    • By moneyless mac 4th Dec 13, 10:32 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    moneyless mac
    UU

TBS Grapefruit body butter - WBA one of my favourites.

Cutex nail polish remover - WBA is cheap and does the job.
    No more buying toiletries
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Dec 13, 10:32 PM
    • 4,056 Posts
    • 37,103 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Kadison
    I am less strong willed than you a few days ago I succumbed to the Daily Telegraph/All boxed up one, it was a bit of a late response and I did not expect to get it, but e-mail received today to say it would be despatched later in the week.

At least I can move someone else of the norty step

Will report "the damage" when it arrives.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • seasideDreamer
    • By seasideDreamer 4th Dec 13, 11:03 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 10,330 Thanks
    seasideDreamer
    First UU of the month BS Honeymania shower gel WMBA
    Debt free and busy treating myself

No more toiletries/make up until I've used what I've got stashed since Jan 2011, graduated October 2012. Restocked Dec 13..damn those sales
    • suzitiger
    • By suzitiger 4th Dec 13, 11:09 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 7,304 Thanks
    suzitiger
    Can I come live in your bathroom??
    Originally posted by TheOxfordOwl

Yeah if ur gonna help use these up by all means

You should see the rest of it.....

Well, you've seen my list
    Don't turn a slip up into a give up
    *NSD Challenge Nov 0/10* *10 a day challenge Nov 0/300*
    No buying unnecessary toiletries challenge-in it for the long haul

• KT2802
    • By KT2802 4th Dec 13, 11:29 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    KT2802
    Glad to hear your son is ok Rosemary, what a relief. Must have been really difficult for you being so far away.

Argh there's so much temptation everywhere this time of year!! I have massive envy of the ciate advent calendar that I keep seeing everywhere. Did anyone here get a beauty advent calendar? I would have loved one but they all seemed so expensive.

No UU yet, don't think there will be many this month as seemed to have a lot last month. Mainly on newish full sized products now.
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 4th Dec 13, 11:59 PM
    • 5,957 Posts
    • 33,134 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Hi all. Just a quick dash...another UU Sanctuary Hsnd Lotion (in a pump).

WIBA? Got it in a 2 pump set along with the handwash in the Boots -75 per cent off sale. (Where on earth has the prfcentsge symbol gone on my keyboard?!) It's nice and I love the pump, but the Champney's seems to be absorbed slightly better into my hands, so I would probably go with that if I had the chance. Still, good product overall.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Babafette
    • By Babafette 5th Dec 13, 12:39 AM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 13,305 Thanks
    Babafette
    L'Oreal Revitalift Repair 10 sachet - the consistency was OK, but the smell was nothing special. I don't think my fussy skin likes this and it looks like I am now getting a rash so I wouldn't buy it.
    Originally posted by Babafette
    UPDATE: I most definitely will not be purchasing this product! My face is red and blotchy now and I'm supposed to be going out tomorrow.
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician....
    • Sundaysgirl
    • By Sundaysgirl 5th Dec 13, 8:20 AM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 6,323 Thanks
    Sundaysgirl
    Make some room for me on the naughty step too please maddiemay - I had a despatch email from Yves Rocher (didn't expect it to be honoured!) so that will be 5 INs to add to the 9 from Kiehl's! At least I didn't cave at the Clinique GWP, though it was a near miss... I suspect my numbers this month will be pretty bad!
    MFW 2017 #123 2018: 1,852.64/39,200 (4.7%)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,559Posts Today

8,897Users online

Martin's Twitter