Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KT2802
    • By KT2802 30th Nov 13, 2:04 PM
    • 595Posts
    • 4,388Thanks
    KT2802
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2013
    • 30th Nov 13, 2:04 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2013 30th Nov 13 at 2:04 PM
    Happy Christmas everyone

AND HERE WE GO AGAIN FOR ANOTHER MONTH! As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months! A big THANK YOU to Maddiemay for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are locked in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010.

Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda,Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies;

Why not add the challenge to your sig as a reminder?

We have a "Swaps Group" on Facebook when you can swap good condition items with other like-minded addicts. PM Trudij, Tokkiandoliver, seasideDreamer or luvlycake your email address and they can add you to the group.

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying.In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!)

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay
    Unsuitable products can be used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc.)

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts)

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity as mentioned earlier.

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots,Body Shop, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal!*

*Honest!

Good luck all for December and indeed next year, and remember to keep popping in for inspiration and support, and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy, and keep your stash lists updated

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared !!) oh - and did we mention that are nosey??!!

Useful abbreviations!

WIBA? - Will I Buy Again?
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning,lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!

Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP -Pink Rose Candle Philosophy.From Erma Bombeck who said, 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculptured like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives.Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA- for an out that was given away rather than binned or UU, to charity,as a present, or "just because!".

TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage.

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies -congratulations You are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - pm the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge, good luck ladies xx

1.mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2.Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours Jun 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer -graduated with honours Oct 2012

Previous threads:

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review here are the links for the past few months challenge threads (just click on the date to take you straight to it):

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013

Can't wait to hear how people get on stash busting over the festive period and hearing about gifts that people get!
    Last edited by KT2802; 30-11-2013 at 2:17 PM.
Page 28
    • moneyless mac
    • By moneyless mac 1st Jan 14, 9:57 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    moneyless mac
    Final outs of 2013

Elemis trienzyme night cream 15g - have more sample sizes in the stash but as my skin is haywire at the moment the jury is still out.

2 x pencil shaped glitter shower gels - repurposed as bubble bath WNBA

Sure max protection cream deo - WBA HG

DHC deep cleansing oil - WBA one of my favourite products for a first cleanse.

Boots cotton wool pads - WBA

Elemis PCMC 30ml - WBA HG

Ending the month with:

Out 71
    TA 1
    Sold 2
    GA 56

but ins were shocking at 164

a plus 34 overall.
    No more buying toiletries
    • minicooper272
    • By minicooper272 1st Jan 14, 10:06 PM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 16,678 Thanks
    minicooper272
    Well I finish the month on 19 INs and 12 OUTs. Blasted sales!

If I discount my sale items, I have ended the year with more OUTs than INs (total), but as soon as I include them, my INs seriously out-strip. The good thing is that a lot of my INs this year have been small and travel sized, while so many of the OUTs have been big an bulky.
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 4th Jan 14, 5:02 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 7,864 Thanks
    lynseydee
    No it's not just you. My list is back up to over 500 and that does not include nail varnish or make up, mine is bath and body products anything that smells nice I am a sucker for. I keep promising myself no more but for some strange reason I just can't seem to help myself. I think that I should promise not to buy anything else but this does not work for me. I have aims but I am keeping them to myself for now. I am going to base mine round money not sure which yet, I quite like someone's post of putting money in a jar every time you use something up.

I am not going to post my list again as it is very out dated and I can't keep up with the list on this thread and my own list, so I am going to transfer it onto a spreadsheet and track it that way. If I'm really honest after the judgements made on the frugal blog I don't want to list my stuff anymore.

Clutter free I really like the idea of a holy grail list.

I spent a few hour yesterday sorting stuff out and re-organising things and trying to find new places to put it. My empty hat boxes have come in very useful.

INS
    2 dove shower gel set Christmas present from friend

OUTS
    Black sands soap WNBA love the creaminess of the soap but prefer other scents ( for some strange reason I love soap)
    4 soap samples ( grated for laundry gloop)
    2 bar of soap ( grated for laundry gloop)

Onwards and upwards, all I know is that I am going to smell nice in 2014.
    Originally posted by sam.4000

Hi Sam

Can you tell me how you make the laundry gloop? I made some soap for Christmas presents and have a bit that went wrong so rather than throw it I was going to turn it into gloop but didn't know how.

Thanks.
    Did owe 9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin 5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 3,427.89. Owe HSBC 5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 3,703.07. Owe Post Office 1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • sam.4000
    • By sam.4000 4th Jan 14, 6:02 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 5,668 Thanks
    sam.4000
    Hi Sam

Can you tell me how you make the laundry gloop? I made some soap for Christmas presents and have a bit that went wrong so rather than throw it I was going to turn it into gloop but didn't know how.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by lynseydee
    I use this recipe
    1. 1 bar of soap grated
    2. 3/4 cup of soda crystals (this softens the water)
    3. 3/4 cup of biotex (you used to be able to use borax but this has now been banned from sale so you can't get it anymore. Biotex is a stain remover which I pick up in sainsburys for 2 something. I have tried other stain removers and have had several interesting experiences with them mainly them bubbling up and decorating my kitchen so I always stick to biotex)
    4. about 4 litres of water
    • You will also need a large container to put your mixture into (it makes nealy a gallon but you can make it in a bucket and transfer it into several containers but only one it has set)
    • A large pan

To make:
    • I grate the soap and put it in a large saucepan with about 1 1/2 litres of water and heat it stir it every couple of minutes till all the soap has disolved, takes about 8-10 minutes.
    • then I add the biotex and stir till that has disolved, this takes maybe a minute
    • Then I add the soda crystals and mix till that disolves this takes about 3-4 minutes. I don't bring it to boil aslong as everything has disolved it will be fine but I do leave it on the heat till i have disolved everthing.
    • In the bucket (I have one with a lid which I use to put my laundry gloop) I put in about 2 1/2 litres of warm water ( not cold as I find the gloop does not mix well with cold water but it does not have to be too warm you could get away with tepid water) and then I pour the mixture into the bucket and give it a good mix.
    • I leave this for 12- 24 hours and it sets to a thick custard. I run a knife through it to break it up and then tranfer some into a smaller container that I keep in the kitchen.
    • I use about 1/2 a mug per wash other recommend that you can use 1-2 tbsp but I don't find this is enough personally. Make sure you ADD it to the DRUM and never the draw as it tends to block the draw and it can be messy (yes of course I have done this). I have used laundry gloop for nearly 2 years and I find it works well. I dont use it on a cool wash as I worry that it won't disolve so I always use it on a 40'c wash.
    • I do put my washing machine on an empty hot wash one a month to clean the machine out
    • You can add essetial oils if you want to scent it about 20 drops but I don't tend to bother.
    • It does seperate slighty over time ( a watery liquid seeps out) but this always happens and i just mix it up and use it.
    Last edited by sam.4000; 04-01-2014 at 6:05 PM.
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 11th Jan 14, 11:43 PM
    • 5,957 Posts
    • 33,134 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Hello everyone!

4 hours later and I have finally finished my toiletries stash list. It totals 249 items,which was less than I expected but seeing everything together waspretty scary - I have way more than one person could possibly needand it has been a real wake-up call, I actually felt pretty sick.

The positive is that I now know exactly what Ihave, I have reorganised everything so that all similar items arestored together again (no mean feat given the volume of ChristmasINs!) and I have some lovely products which I am looking forward tousing over the coming new year It has made me even more determined not to buy anything, and I expectto save lots of money in 2014 by being able to shop my stash!Currently when I have a UU which I'm able to replace with a sta!!!!!m I save the replacement cost (and overpay my mortgage with it) -I saved a good few hundred pounds since starting the challenge inApril and I plan to continue with this for 2014 - my target is to"save" 1,000 over the coming year...
    Originally posted by Sundaysgirl
    Hello Sundaysgirl! Well done on taking a cold,hard look at your stash. This is the start of doing something aboutit, and if you have managed to look it entirely in the face thatmeans you will be able to use up more effectively. Go you!

New thread for January here.It's my first time starting a thread so if it has gone horribly wrongplease let me know.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    It's all gone swimmingly. Thanks!

Right, well I have been away for Christmas and newyear so I've only had the chance to post now. Here we go:

UU:

Hotel sample bath and shower gel (sample)
    Sure deodorant spray
    Sensodyne Pronamel
    Aromatherapy Associates Revive shower gel (50ml)

Ins:

Make-up brushes(professional in a Black Friday Am@zon deal at less than half price)
    Tresemme heat barrierand mousse (left at mum's for next time so not counting it)
    TBS Vitamin EIlluminating Moisturiser (ditto)
    Benefit Rockateur blusher (but near end of No7cream blusher so not counting it as I only got it now as I got a 20%discount)

So that's it. My 2014 annual total of OUTs will be 66 INs and 68 OUTs. That doesn't sound like a lot of progress, butthe INs have been 90%+ everyday stuff like toothpaste etc. andalthough a fair proportion of the UUs have been everyday productionslike those, I have slowly been whittling down the unused, unloved andunwanted. There isn't much left (although some unused Christmaspresents bought in the January sales will be used so I will add themas INs as they stop being potential gifts that I take out of thewrapper and start to use them).

Happy new year everyone!
    Last edited by InaPickle; 11-01-2014 at 11:56 PM.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

2,316Users online

Martin's Twitter