What counts as disability?

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,076
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you have one working eye, you won't be classed as partially sighted. (both need to be affected) However, you qould meet the NHS's definition of visually impaired, if your visual impairment can't be corrected by glasses.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • rayzer
    rayzer Posts: 2 Newbie
    sh1305 wrote: »
    If you have one working eye, you won't be classed as partially sighted. (both need to be affected) However, you qould meet the NHS's definition of visually impaired, if your visual impairment can't be corrected by glasses.

Thanks for the quick reply. :beer:
  • bryansmith
    bryansmith Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 July 2010 at 7:33PM
    I am somewhat concerned at the comments made about Disability.

I am currently classed as disabled in accordance with the DDA 95, but I do not take it literally. I actively go to work but make no use of the freebies such as Free Bus Travel; Motability; DLA etc.

I feel people are seriously abusing the system, at a cost to the taxpayer such as myself.

My reasoning is based on the fact if you have an ABILITY to go to work; Charitable work or even to function on a day to day basis like me and clearly have that ability and therefore do not require assistance.

However if you cannot get to work in any form or function on a day to day basis in other words require considerable assistance to function therefore the reasoning would be you have NO ABILITY.

This reasoning would ensure that the financial benefits e.g. Free Bus Travel; Motability; DLA etc. went to the right persons, e.g. those persons who have NO ABILITY.

This reasoning would make it easier for the GP's etc and would direct the money to those in most need e.g. those with NO ABILITY.

I expect a lot of feed back on this but just ponder on the next paragraph, before making your judgement and think about your own circumstances etc rethink your situation in the reasoning of ABILITY and NO ABILITY, it's surprising how you will suddenly have no problems going to work (ABILITY):

I'm a disabled person going to work running a family and not claiming even DLA in fact siltch and much more ill than most people on disability I think I speak with experience come back to me if you have 3 months to live with bowel cancer, get my point stop moaning about Disability you don't know how well off you are, all of you, then maybe the money that would be saved could actually save me with a cure, take my point. Now perhaps you will not be responding!
  • Oh and by the way just think of that Policeman who is going back to work, see he has the ABILITY, like I and many others. So those wanting the good life should rethink. In my reasoning I would actually class him as NO ABILITY but he has even categorised himself, can't fault the brave guy.
  • Indie_Kid
    Forumite
    bryansmith wrote: »
    My reasoning is based on the fact if you have an ABILITY to go to work; Charitable work or even to function on a day to day basis like me and clearly have that ability and therefore do not require assistance.

Oh thanks. I have a job interview tomorrow. Yet, I will continue to claim the benefits I'm rightly entitled to, if I get the job. Want my bus pass and DLA? Take my disability too.
    before making your judgement

Bit rich coming from you!

Please don't belittle people you know nothing about.
    This reasoning would make it easier for the GP's etc and would direct the money to those in most need e.g. those with NO ABILITY.

My GP says I'm entitled to claim what I do.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 949 Forumite
    I think everyone has a cross to bear, and the size of their cross might seem larger than it would to other people. I understand there are people that milk the system for all it is worth, but this is the very system that was created help those who need it. Some people actually encounter difficulties when it may not be appropriate to carry out proper assessment. I currently find difficulties at night, following the multiple traumas occured in my RTA, but I can reasonably function during the day.
  • carras
    carras Posts: 32 Forumite
    I have never regarded myself as disabled despite inheriting the family 'bad chest' and losing months of education as a child. :cool:

However the last few months have woken me up to major problems.:eek:

I have spent the last 3 years caring for Mum after some 'kind' gentleman coughed a virus at her on the local bus. She has 6 weeks in bed, lost 2.5 stones in weight then proceeded to fade away over the following 3 years.

At the start I was recovering from a brain tumour - another problem as the GP regarded me as 'the chest' who was also 'going through the change of life'. It was an optician who spotted the problem. I was struggling to return to work when Mum met her nemesis on the bus.

During those 3 years my health was badly neglected and I collapsed after the funeral to be told I now have COPD! When I Googled this I was shocked at the prognosis and have spent the last 6 months trying to get some indication of what I should be doing to help myself...;)

During that time I visited an office in relation to some voluntary work I was doing. The closest parking was a disabled slot and the next parking was some streets away. Given I get very out of breath I took the disabled slot. On my return some person had stuck a notice in the centre of my windscreen pointing out that I was not displaying a Blue Badge - because I do not have one! It took me 45 minutes to get my windscreen clear and while I sympathise with the person who took the action it left me totally exhausted and very fed up!

People see me as 'normal' but walking is difficult and I need to use my inhalers frequently. My ability to do things has decreased badly in the last year but I was shocked when a friend of over 40 years commented that she had always believed I was disabled. Am I? I really don't know.

As for DLA, yes I get the minimum but not without difficulty. I was told to apply after the brain surgery but the young man from the CAB did not help me complete the forms and I was initially rejected. I suspect because I looked to well and did not really think about when my 'chest' is bad!

Three months later I was told my Mother should be getting Attendance Allowance and I took her to Age Concern where almost identical forms were filled in successfully. At each question Mum said she could manage (much as I had) but the lady behind the desk said what about a bad day while I reminded her of how difficult she found getting out of bed and up from a chair. Useful pointers for my next DLA application!

DLA was a god send for me as I received no Incapacity Benefit during the treatment for the Brain tumour, I had failed to pay National Insurance for 4 years before the tumour was discovered. I was told to "Go away and live of your savings dear." So I did and now I have actually hit pensionable age - I have no savings!

Am I the only one who feels they are continuously hitting a brick wall?:o
  • Indie_Kid
    Forumite
    carras wrote: »
    During those 3 years my health was badly neglected and I collapsed after the funeral to be told I now have COPD! When I Googled this I was shocked at the prognosis and have spent the last 6 months trying to get some indication of what I should be doing to help myself...;)

Be careful when Googling, please! One of the conditions I have, someone claimed it causes blindness. On any official website (RNIB & Nystagmus Network) it says that it doesn't lead to blindness.
    Am I the only one who feels they are continuously hitting a brick wall?:o

You're not alone here. I've been told many times over the years by DWP that despite having colourblindness and partial sight in both eyes, I should be ok with getting dressed and them generally being clueless about what really my disabilities are and what problems the cause.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • mickbhall
    mickbhall Posts: 162 Forumite
    Most the time i dont class my self as having a disability. I have Neurofibromatosis im 25 and have had surgey 8 times. One major on spine. Having another on monday to remove a big big tumor from chest i am worried abbout this one been maligment for some reason.In pain most the time thesse lumps are every were it is strating to tire me out. I find alot of people dont undersgtand i do wish i told my employer tho.
  • Horseunderwater
    Horseunderwater Posts: 3,406
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mickbhall wrote: »
    Most the time i dont class my self as having a disability. I have Neurofibromatosis im 25 and have had surgey 8 times. One major on spine. Having another on monday to remove a big big tumor from chest i am worried abbout this one been maligment for some reason.In pain most the time thesse lumps are every were it is strating to tire me out. I find alot of people dont undersgtand i do wish i told my employer tho.
    Hi Mick
    My cousin has had this as a confirmed diagnosis since birth. It is a genetic disease which can be passed on to your children, if you have them or not at this point, it worth getting them tested for it.
    She has had a lot of surgery over the years, but she does get DLA and also free bus travel, but has been threatened many times with removal of these benefits. She is also registered as visually impaired in both eyes. Her spine is badly curved as one side of her body grew normally and the other too much. One leg is longer than the other and she wears height adapted footwear.
    So I would say if you do not get DLA at present, keep on trying for it, as sadly you will not recover from this condition, so you will always need help of some sort.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure