Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 16th Nov 19, 10:28 PM
    • 830Posts
    • 698Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    Annual pay rise
    • 16th Nov 19, 10:28 PM
    Annual pay rise 16th Nov 19 at 10:28 PM
    you work for a company and you have a 3yr pay deal in place, wages to rise by £1 per hour per year 1,2 and 3, your hourly rate is £10 during the course of yr1 the company advertises a new position with an hourly rate of £12, you get this position but when you ask about your annual pay rise you are told you have had your pay rise when you took the new position on.

figures are made up, scenario is actual. Would you consider this fair or would you be chasing your annual pay rise?
    My argument is getting a new position with a higher rate of pay is not the same as a pay rise.
Page 1
    • Richierichbristol
    • By Richierichbristol 16th Nov 19, 10:37 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Richierichbristol
    • 16th Nov 19, 10:37 PM
    • 16th Nov 19, 10:37 PM
    If youíre not happy with the outcome donít take the job and stick with the current one with the guaranteed rise ?
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 16th Nov 19, 10:40 PM
    • 6,077 Posts
    • 7,535 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 16th Nov 19, 10:40 PM
    • 16th Nov 19, 10:40 PM
    Common that you need to be in post a certain while to get a pay rise - was the new job towards the beginning or end of the year?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 17th Nov 19, 1:00 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 17th Nov 19, 1:00 AM
    • 17th Nov 19, 1:00 AM
    7 months into the year
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Nov 19, 1:47 AM
    • 40,275 Posts
    • 37,711 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 17th Nov 19, 1:47 AM
    • 17th Nov 19, 1:47 AM
    So you started Job 1 on £10 ph, then in the course of year 1 you got job 2 paying £12 ph, which in Job 1 you wouldn't have been earning until year 3.

UNLESS there was a company wide deal to increase wages by £1 ph for all jobs, or a deal with the new job that wages would be increased by £1 ph in years 2 and 3, then you can chase all you like, but you're already better off than you would have been in Year 3 in Job 1.

So, if you don't like it, you have options. You could start job hunting, either now or in a year's time. You could join the union and get them involved (or if already a member, see what they have to say about this).

But it's not clear from your post how long you've been with this company. If less than 2 years, I'd be wary of making too much fuss about your expectations. You risk being seen as an awkward trouble maker.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 17th Nov 19, 10:30 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 17th Nov 19, 10:30 AM
    • 17th Nov 19, 10:30 AM
    So you started Job 1 on £10 ph, then in the course of year 1 you got job 2 paying £12 ph, which in Job 1 you wouldn't have been earning until year 3.

UNLESS there was a company wide deal to increase wages by £1 ph for all jobs, or a deal with the new job that wages would be increased by £1 ph in years 2 and 3, then you can chase all you like, but you're already better off than you would have been in Year 3 in Job 1.

So, if you don't like it, you have options. You could start job hunting, either now or in a year's time. You could join the union and get them involved (or if already a member, see what they have to say about this).

But it's not clear from your post how long you've been with this company. If less than 2 years, I'd be wary of making too much fuss about your expectations. You risk being seen as an awkward trouble maker.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    its a company wide deal for all drivers agreed for by our union, been there 8 years. the new job is still a driving job just a larger vehicle. union at the moment are saying its a grey area, but are asking questions, not only effects me as there were 16 of us involved in driving these larger longer vehicles
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 17th Nov 19, 10:34 AM
    • 4,464 Posts
    • 3,869 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 17th Nov 19, 10:34 AM
    • 17th Nov 19, 10:34 AM
    Apart from any contractual agreements there is no entitlement ever to a pay rise. The only exception being if your pay were to fall below the national minimum wage.

So it is entirely a matter for negotiation, either directly or via your union.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th Nov 19, 10:37 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 17th Nov 19, 10:37 AM
    • 17th Nov 19, 10:37 AM
    you work for a company and you have a 3yr pay deal in place, wages to rise by £1 per hour per year 1,2 and 3, your hourly rate is £10 during the course of yr1 the company advertises a new position with an hourly rate of £12, you get this position but when you ask about your annual pay rise you are told you have had your pay rise when you took the new position on.

figures are made up, scenario is actual. Would you consider this fair or would you be chasing your annual pay rise?
    My argument is getting a new position with a higher rate of pay is not the same as a pay rise.
    Originally posted by NotRichAtAll
    Why would the pay deal and pay rises for the old position apply to the new position? Wanting the higher rate of pay of the new job and retaining the scheduled rises of the old is surely a having your cake and eating it situation.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 17th Nov 19, 11:22 AM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    74jax
    • 17th Nov 19, 11:22 AM
    • 17th Nov 19, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by NotRichAtAll
    When I was at the interview for job 2, is cover the pay scenario. Then make the decision based on the answer.

Would i consider it fair if there isn't the same increase each year as job 1? Yes, because job 2 comes with its own teams and conditions. It's my choice whether to take it or not. I could always stay with job 1.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 17th Nov 19, 11:59 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    Why would the pay deal and pay rises for the old position apply to the new position? Wanting the higher rate of pay of the new job and retaining the scheduled rises of the old is surely a having your cake and eating it situation.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    i like cake

thanks for the replies everyone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

2,139Users online

Martin's Twitter