'Do you support Wednesday's strike?' poll

Comments

• starnight_2
    starnight_2 Posts: 390 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2011 at 11:22PM
    Saetana wrote: »
    Its hardly an independent opinion though, is it? I think that whilst talks are continuing there should not have even been a ballot, the numbers of people who actually bothered to vote were small for most unions, hardly a massive mandate for strike action and something that I think will result in there being minimum voting percentages set at some point in the future.

Understand this, outside the public sector there is little sympathy for people who have jobs striking and waving banners (yes I've been into town today), even having their small children carrying banners (disgusting and manipulative behaviour!), when there are many people looking hard for work in a tough jobs market and plenty of private sector employees who are no better paid than you supposedly are (if not worse) and will still end up with worse pensions than you.

I have no sympathy for any of you, time to face the reality of the mess that Labour and the financial crash have left us in :mad:

The ballot may have been sent out, but the strike wasn't confirmed until November, and remember government had announced at the start of November their FINAL offer, and that was it, they showed no signs of wanting to talk anymore. So the strike went ahead.

There's two sides to everything.

Let's put it this way, the government is asking us to pay anywhere up to an extra 3%. To all those who think we should just accept it, would you be willing to pay 3% of your wage to government to help pay off the deficit? Why not raise tax for all, as that's what the money is currently going to.
  • just to say to all you teachers dont complain that we are bad parents when we take our children out of school for a day for family things because it ruins their education you cant have it both ways
  • Ann1e wrote: »
    Those in the public sector pay tax too!

You seem to have missed the point ! Where do you think your salaries come from ?

They come from the real taxes collected from the private sector.

Any income tax the public sector pay is effectively a paper exercise as it goes back into the same pot that pays public sector salaries in the first place. Therefore effectively going round and round and never really existing.

I believe the original post was stating that public sector workers need to remember who really tops up the pot of money with taxes that pays their salary & pension.

The private sector do not support this action because why should they pay higher taxes to top up the under funded pensions in the public sector !
  • I am fed up of hearing the public sector workers claiming to be inocent victims of the bankers failures.

The banks are not the root cause of this issue, it is the years of borrowing and overspending by the past government.

Yes the government did bail out a couple of banks to stop them failing, because the concequences of them failing was worse than the current issues we all face.

It was the culture of borrow to spend now and pay later that failed.

How many public sector workers have declared themselves bankrupt in the last couple of years and walked away from large debts they built up ? I know 3 people who striked today from the circle of friends I have who between them have had over £250K wiped clean by declaring themselves bankrupt. I have heard them claim that they are being penalised because of the banks in the last week.

There will be many more like them who will have striked today and still believe it to be the banks fault.

The banks were part of the problem, caused by peoples greed and poor management, but the real cause was government policy that could not continue borrowing at the levels they were at.

(For info, out of the 3 friends declared bankrupt, 2 were down to their own greed, the 3rd was a genuine case where a change of circumstances outside of their control left them in that situation)
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,543 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    starnight wrote: »
    The ballot may have been sent out, but the strike wasn't confirmed until November, and remember government had announced at the start of November their FINAL offer, and that was it, they showed no signs of wanting to talk anymore. So the strike went ahead.

There's two sides to everything.

Let's put it this way, the government is asking us to pay anywhere up to an extra 3%. To all those who think we should just accept it, would you be willing to pay 3% of your wage to government to help pay off the deficit? Why not raise tax for all, as that's what the money is currently going to.
    Your information is incorrect, the government confirmed in the commons today (when David Milliband attempted to make the same farcical point - he said that talks had ended early November) that they had talks with unions yesterday, they had talks today and will be having talks tomorrow, that is fact not conjecture.
    2020 Wins:
  • I think what the majority of people in the Public sector dont realise is that most of us in the private sector in our 30's cannot even afford to pay into any kind of pension, they seem to think that we in the private sector get paid much more well fact for you guys is that we dont! we also dont get other perks that I know people get in the Public Sectoe IE a lot more annual leave shorter working hours in Winter, discounts on buying houses (Nurses, and most other sectors can claim for this and it is fair whack!) and also other various perks that are too long to mention.

I have had a pay freeze for the last 3 years, and I also think that your jobs are still far more secure than any private sector jobs even with the announced cuts.

I think Nurses, Fire, Police, Ambulance should get paid more than they do but everyone has to pay the price for our country's debt.I agree that the bankers have a lot to answer for but what about the millions of people who ran up huge credit card/loans etc , they are all to blame as well, and when a lot of people could not afford them because they were living way way beyond their income the went to IVA and it costs us all!
  • deadrobot
    deadrobot Posts: 245 Forumite
    loops298 wrote: »
    hey deadrobot, please don't have a go at me - that quote is on page 2 of this Thread and was written by landsker. I have no idea where the figure were obtained, but I would be surprised if they were true.

I do not begrudge any nurses getting a decent pension, I was merely trying to point out that as far as I am aware anyone getting that type of figure is lucky, I don't happen to know the nurses pension package, but I suspect it is the same as mine, so I am suprised by the figures being quoted.

I'm not trying to twist anything - honest. If nurses have a better package than I do then that is great as I feel they are fully taken advantage of for doing a job they love.

Sorry I wasn't getting at you, I mean't the original poster, I just didn't go back and find the original post. Lazy of me! Sorry for any confusion!!
  • Can someone tell me if this is true, a teacher earning around £35K PA, the amount he pays in tax is roughly equal to the amount paid into his pension fund by his employer? If not what are the figures?
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • I am self employed and have taken out a private pension, my wife works in the public sector as a primary teach and has done for 27 years. When she was initially employed she entered into a contract part of which was she would pay 6% of her salary inot a pension fund. Note "of her salary" thus she is actively adding to her own fund. She has now been told she will have to increase this amount and when she retires receive a smaller pension. She is on the cusp of the age where changes may not affect her , but it comes at a time when it will be hard to take out a private pension to top up for the shortfall.
    In reality this means a cut in pay (more pension contribution) now and in order to try and repair the long term damage taking out a private pension, which in effect is another loss of spending power. In addition there is a wage freexe in public sector and an imposed 1% increase over the next 3 years
  • Saetana wrote: »
    Your information is incorrect, the government confirmed in the commons today (when David Milliband attempted to make the same farcical point - he said that talks had ended early November) that they had talks with unions yesterday, they had talks today and will be having talks tomorrow, that is fact not conjecture.

Yes you are you correct, the government met with the unions, AFTER a few weeks of not wanting to discuss anymore. Even Cameron said they met at start of November, them 1 DAY before strike action, he did not admit to having any meeting inbetween those 2 dates. Therefore not farcical point, they did not meet with the unions until it was too lete.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure