'Do you support Wednesday's strike?' poll

Comments

• I have been both private and public sector worker on both low and an 'average' pay for my age bracket.
    In most cases private sector wages are much better in my line of work. The pension is one of the only benefits.

In previous public sector work there is alot of beaurachy and money wastage! In fact in two secondary schools I worked in both senior leadership 'teams' of roughly 7 took regular nights/days and weekends on jollys with paid hotel stays etc. I also saw governing bodies take laptops for their own children (though they do volunteer for governing duties).

In regards to teachers - there work is emotionally draining for many but also comes with a good salary, pension, a dynamic work envrionemnt, holidays and not bad working hours when you know your trade. Out of the public sector? They have it the best...their jobs aren't under attack really. Where else can you bake fairy cakes for 35 k a year and 13 weeks holiday? Trust me ive seen alot of them - straight out the door when the clock hits.

I no longer work for schools but still a public sector worker. I fully support the strike though won't be striking due to not a member of union.
  • Snow_Angel
    Snow_Angel Posts: 763 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 November 2011 at 11:46PM
    I'm a public sector worker but as a physiotherapist I have the option of switching to private sector as and when I choose...or emigrating which is looking a better option! I'm getting really annoyed with the private vs public arguments and general !!!!!ing. Surely we're all on the same side. We're all being shafted. Here's the facts about MPs pensions:

A funded final salary scheme (their reforms for public sector are career average)
    Normal retirement age is 65, minimum age is 55 (for us with very physically demanding professions it's going to be 68)
    MPs can contribute either 11.9%, 7.9% or 5.9% of their £65,738-a-year salary (hard life!)
    From April payments are now increased in line with the consumer prices index Accrual is capped at two-thirds of an MP's final salary
    The coalition agreement included a commitment to consult with the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority on "how to move away from the general final salary pension system" ('"commitment to consult" menas nothing)
    28.7% taxpayers contribution added to their own contributions

Public sector and private sector workers all get way, way less than this and despite their 'reforms' for public sector pensions they are not changing their own pensions...despite them being public sector workers.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:N_YtLpjM8ewJ:www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/M05.pdf+MP+pensions&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShaLgw0bembRI3x5Bu3ZzxuzBhgJcZ91hjlTYgFfUFHchvEjd0TmwsPxHNOkfSq1PRHKfai0_WMc-16jAXGhgs4Z9o7nNh7HxqMMpNDiUpqdbWpDKadl4KS4T_l2nMDBQrLR-zA&sig=AHIEtbS10ZKR9W9pYkQF9m5V-lHg9qv4jw
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    I've worked in the public sector, currently working in private. I fully support the strike - I don't think a lot of people who're against it realise it isn't a day's holiday, everyone striking loses their wages, that many can't really afford to do. I know that public sector pensions are better than their private sector equivalent, but there's absolutely no reason to cut people's real earnings just because the private sector doesn't look after its staff. If the extra money being asked was actually going to go into people's pensions, that would probably not be so bad, but it's just going to bail out the deficit, because the Gov't can't get back the money that went to bail out the financial industry. This government should expect a lot more protest as the country wakes up to the pain people are experiencing so that they can keep the City happy.
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • I work in the private sector and I'm totally against the strike, I feel that some public setor workers really don't understand how lucky they have it. When minimum rate wage went up the company I work for laid off 40 members of staff to cover it. They made this totally clear this was the reason why they had to let the staff go. Fair no! Did they get the chance to strike? no! Sadly most people at the moment are living month to month and can't even consider a pension. I feel really let down by the public sector for going on strike when at least 10 people I worked with on a daily basis have lost there job and would give there right arm to be in any kind of job at the moment.
    Current mortgage - £12000
    aim to pay £6000 this year (mfw #20)
    £3000/£6000

• DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Having worked in a number of public sector organisations, I have zero sympathy for their "cause"
  • I support the strike, and at the risk of sounding like a loony commie - I also support the campaign to redress the wealth inequality worldwide. There is money sloshing about that could address many of the issues - unfortunately, it's in the hands of the 1% who don't want to hand it back to the 99%. Instead of the petty bickering and glib acceptance of the mass media's portrayal of campaigners for wealth equality as anti-capitalists, if the majority of the 99% were to unite, take a stand & demand the introduction of a financial transactions tax, many of the imbalances of society would be addressed, cuts to services & increased taxation avoided and potential world recession averted. We are the 99%, please support the robin hood tax and occupy together.
    Now I stand down off my soapbox and await the onslaught :)
  • Snow_Angel wrote: »
    Here's the facts about MPs pensions:

A funded final salary scheme (their reforms for public sector are career average)
    Normal retirement age is 65, minimum age is 55 (for us with very physically demanding professions it's going to be 68)
    MPs can contribute either 11.9%, 7.9% or 5.9% of their £65,738-a-year salary (hard life!)
    From April payments are now increased in line with the consumer prices index Accrual is capped at two-thirds of an MP's final salary
    The coalition agreement included a commitment to consult with the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority on "how to move away from the general final salary pension system" ('"commitment to consult" menas nothing)
    28.7% taxpayers contribution added to their own contributions

Public sector and private sector workers all get way, way less than this and despite their 'reforms' for public sector pensions they are not changing their own pensions...despite them being public sector workers.

Thankyou Snow Angel,

The workers of this country are being pitted against each other to cover for the mismangement of this whole crisis. if the Mp's really wanted to solve the financial crisis they would reduce their salaries and perks then cut their own pensions, this will never happen. We have Mp's being paid rediculous salaries to make decisions that they are not qualified to make, so they employ experts on high salaries to advise them. It's time to cut out some of these middlemen.
    I voted for the STRIKE as i cannot afford to have my pension stolen by these unqualified people. :mad:
  • For all those moaning that tax payers pay public sector and their pension I,d like to point out a couple of things ....public sector workers like everyone else apart from mega paid big bonus folk pay taxes, they also pay lots of their lower salaries into cover their pension, it is not a free perk like the common misconception out there.I worked in private sector when we still had non.contributory pensions, in public sector where I paid loads in and now in private sector where I made a huge pay jump when I moved so have knowledge of all sides.
    BUT who do you all think pays banks staff, shop staff, etc answer really the tax payer....we pay our money into the bank, we borrow from the bank they make profits and that funds their operating costs and pays staff wages and the bonuses of those still getting them.....banks don't operate without tax payers money and the profits they make.....if tax payers don't shop in places they close because in reality tax payers fund the shop and their staff wages it's basic economics...tax payers fund pretty much all of it.
    Yes in a shop you get goods, in a bank you're meant to get a safe place to keep your money....in public sector you get free education at school, free healthcare, free dentist, free social work care, bin service, roads and so on so that's what we pay for.
    Just ask yourself if the public servants in government are serving normal tax payers why then do many use private schools and the like the rest can't afford just like the same folk who brought the worlds finances into chaos because they can afford to and yes it's the rest of us normal tax payers who pay for it!
    Good luck to those losing a days pay on strike or those who loose out as a result of it but all fighting each other nicely deflects the fight from those who caused this mess in the first place so they win in the end..again!
  • yep i support the strike, i am just going to join the picket now.....
    as you can guess i am public sector.
    credit card bill. £0.00
    overdraft £0.00
    Help from the state £0.00
  • AHAR
    AHAR Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hang on, I want to change my mind. The traffic was lovely and light this morning. Thanks public sector [STRIKE]workers[/STRIKE] strikers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure